News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

How about operator time then. If it took 3+ months to get to 20% seat time that means take another year to get to 100% unless things speed up very soon
I figure they started with a few trainers to get to 20%, now these 20% trainers increase the amount of trainees to 40-50%

I figure they started with a few trainers to get to 20%, now these 20% trainers increase the amount of trainees to 40-50%
So the progress timeline is exponential. I think that's a key takeaway from that graphic, it's not accurate to project progress time linearly. Construction certificates could jump to 60% if 50% of them were processed in one shot.

Wtf.... 8% AT THIS STAGE?! What's holding them back?! Also that 20% on operator training is a bit concerning. If it took them that long since the start if summer to get to 20% who know how long it'll take to get the rest of the 80. Do they need 100% on this in order to open and will trg speed up as more operators get through?
Construction certificates aren't something to get worked up about. They may be at 8% now, but if they were to submit the remainder all at once - which they could do, as they are simply digital files showing the built form of the line - then the number would become 100%. In terms of progress, it's meaningless.

In terms of the operators, there will be 3 pairs of classes, with the first pair wrapping up shortly. That number probably dates from before the classes started, or shortly after.

Dan

Ok, so they won't commit to a handover date. But there are signs that the date must be nearing. The bike path/stairs into Wilket Creek Park from Eglinton west of Leslie are open! The fencing was all there last Thursday when I rode through. Running today, they are gone. (I'm sure this was part of the Crosstown construction; it's been largely ready for a couple of years)
1000022909.jpg
1000022910.jpg

Of course, the stairs into ET Seton Park from the S side of Leslie are still barricaded, but that may be due to the fencing/construction site for the river naturalization.
1000022914.jpg

Hoping that I'm correct!

No, he's not serious. Because actually considering it at this time would be a huge mistake.

When lines are opened in stages, it's because they were either planned to from the beginning (see the Bloor-Danforth line), or the decision was made early enough in the design and construction process that doing so was not detrimental to the rest of the project (see the Yonge North extensions).

In this case, the line has been designed and built from the outset as one integrated system, and the testing is proceeding as such. The decision to open the line in sections would have had to have occurred a long, long time ago so that the installation, implementation and testing of all of the various sub-systems that exist on the line could have also happened in a staged manner. To do it now would thus require new testing to ensure that the portions of the line could operate as such, and that the sub-systems installed on the other sections not opened wouldn't negatively affect the rest of it.

And that ship has long since sailed.

Dan
I believe you are over complicating something as simple as a short turn. Short truns are common, happen every day on TTC routes. There are turn around points that can be used. You're implying that the regular testing doesn't test for things like short turns. We often close section of Line 1 and Line 2 and allow them to run on a limited service, only servicing segments of the line, not requiring years of testing to do that. In the end, neither of us is an engineer at Metrolinx, but I would hope, after half a decade, that they look at reasonable alternatives. To not want this is bizarre to me. We should want as many people as possible to have service, if possible.

I believe you are over complicating something as simple as a short turn. Short truns are common, happen every day on TTC routes. There are turn around points that can be used. You're implying that the regular testing doesn't test for things like short turns. We often close section of Line 1 and Line 2 and allow them to run on a limited service, only servicing segments of the line, not requiring years of testing to do that. In the end, neither of us is an engineer at Metrolinx, but I would hope, after half a decade, that they look at reasonable alternatives. To not want this is bizarre to me. We should want as many people as possible to have service, if possible.

Even a short turn requires certain things from the signalling system. And the signalling system may not be certifiable until it is operating end to end.

Same with the power supply system. And the emergency lighting system. And the PA and communications systems.

Once the system is certified end to end, short turns are simple. But reversing the order may be a non-starter. It's not about not wanting the service, it's about how the system is built.

- Paul

Ok, so they won't commit to a handover date. But there are signs that the date must be nearing. The bike path/stairs into Wilket Creek Park from Eglinton west of Leslie are open! The fencing was all there last Thursday when I rode through. Running today, they are gone. (I'm sure this was part of the Crosstown construction; it's been largely ready for a couple of years)
View attachment 595289View attachment 595290
Of course, the stairs into ET Seton Park from the S side of Leslie are still barricaded, but that may be due to the fencing/construction site for the river naturalization.
View attachment 595288

Hoping that I'm correct!
Dont..Dont give me hope

View attachment 595289View attachment 595290
View attachment 595288

Hoping that I'm correct!

I'm hoping that they've come to their senses and realized that there are a lot of things that can be opened even if the LRT line isn't open yet.

Here's to hoping they realize they can open the Mount Dennis GO and UP Express platform for people to use today, even if the LRT line isn't open. They could also pour Caledonia GO station's platforms, install the shelters, and open it.

Metrolinx should open the easy infrastructure associated with the line first. The residents of this city aren't just numbers. They're people who suffer when their streets are a construction zone for decades and they don't have GO or rapid transit access near their homes, businesses, and institutions. Metrolinx should open the GO stations right away to make their lives better.

I'm hoping that they've come to their senses and realized that there are a lot of things that can be opened even if the LRT line isn't open yet.

Here's to hoping they realize they can open the Mount Dennis GO and UP Express platform for people to use today, even if the LRT line isn't open. They could also pour Caledonia GO station's platforms, install the shelters, and open it.

Metrolinx should open the easy infrastructure associated with the line first. The residents of this city aren't just numbers. They're people who suffer when their streets are a construction zone for decades and they don't have GO or rapid transit access near their homes, businesses, and institutions. Metrolinx should open the GO stations right away to make their lives better.
Agreed, but I think it will depend what the contract with Crosslink allows them to do

Believe me, I'm not.

A short turn on something as complicated as the ATO/ATC system is not even remotely close to being as simply as it is for a bus or streetcar. On the subway system (or the Crosstown, here) the signal system needs to be enabled and active, and it needs to take into account things like the positions of switches, the trains around it, the locking and then clearances of the pieces of track that the train is on, etc. All of that means that the system needs to be on, running, and working properly.

The regular testing absolutely, positively does account for any and all possible short turns. But that is part of the testing process, which means that the system needs to be fully installed and enabled and working. If they had wanted to start revenue service on a shorter section of the line before the rest of it opened, they would have had to install system on that section, and then build in the capability to have it operate without the rest of it being active. It can be done but it needs to be designed from the outset like that - the resignalling of the YUS is a prime example of that being done. As well, it is much easier to partially activate sections of a fixed-block signal system like what is used on the BD or Sheppard than it is on a moving-block system like on the YUS or Crosstown.

And so the signal system on the Crosstown was never designed to be installed and operate like this. Had it have been, we could have had the discussion several years ago about whether to open it piecemeal or not, once it was realized that construction was not holding up to the schedule.

Considering that we are now about 6 months away from opening day, it is way, way too late to be having this discussion.

Here's to hoping they realize they can open the Mount Dennis GO and UP Express platform for people to use today, even if the LRT line isn't open.
That's dependent on the layout of the station. I would have hoped that they had built separate entrances/access to the GO and UPX platforms, but I honestly don't know if that's the case.

It's also dependent on the station getting all of its final sign-offs and approvals making it ready to be occupied and used. Considering how opaque Metrolinx has been about this project, we don't even know if that is the case.

They could also pour Caledonia GO station's platforms, install the shelters, and open it.
You're funny.

Dan

Ok, so they won't commit to a handover date. But there are signs that the date must be nearing. The bike path/stairs into Wilket Creek Park from Eglinton west of Leslie are open!

Hoping that I'm correct!

That's good news, even though I never really go on the north side east of the Don. The day that big staircase opens on the south end will be a sign from God this is opening soon. (its been bothering me for...a very long time)

I think the entire line is now down to pretty much fences at the entrance doors. Construction is by all accounts complete. I'm not up on Eglinton much, but have they brought down the covers at the connecting stations yet to finish the transitions? In other words, can you see into the new station entrances yet?

I vastly prefer hope-ium (hopium). It's a much healthier alternative to hope I find :)

And more fitting when I think about any Metrolinx work in the city. I guess my hopium is sourced from seeing Oriole GO finished someday.
I thought they did a reasonable construction job with the Kipling Transit Hub. But there was no rail involved there so...🤷‍♂️

I thought they did a reasonable construction job with the Kipling Transit Hub. But there was no rail involved there so...🤷‍♂️
Other than it being 300 metres (or more depending where the bus stops) from the subway station.

They should extend the subway another stop, to get to the GO terminal. :)

Back