News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's the tunnelling contract being issued and started I think that makes it election proof. The start of the second contract will guarantee is us from Mt Dennis to Don Mills I think.

How far did they get last time? They hadn't issued any of the tunnelling contracts - I think they issued the first one after the election and just before it was cancelled ... with a clause that it can be revoked if the government cancels the project before they start working.

So we are already ahead, and I doubt an election is imminent.

while having the contract in place significant improves the odd that it'll stand, it's still not 100% safe and can still be cancelled with penalties, eg: Mississauga gas plant.

while having the contract in place significant improves the odd that it'll stand, it's still not 100% safe and can still be cancelled with penalties, eg: Mississauga gas plant.
Oh, anything is possible. Conservatives could cancel the Spadina extension and fill that in if they want to. I just don't see the pressure from the community to cancel it that they had with the gas plants.

Interesting.

From the presentation:
Will the team consider an underground option that crosses OVER the West Don River?
This alternative is NOT RECOMMENDED as it requires (and therefore does not address the issues with) a TBM Launch Site at Brentcliffe.

The Bridge over the West Don was not recommended because the TBM lauch site was not possible at Brentcliffe.

2 months later, the TBM launch site was moved to Brentcliffe.

It's the tunnelling contract being issued and started I think that makes it election proof. The start of the second contract will guarantee is us from Mt Dennis to Don Mills I think.

How far did they get last time? They hadn't issued any of the tunnelling contracts - I think they issued the first one after the election and just before it was cancelled ... with a clause that it can be revoked if the government cancels the project before they start working.

So we are already ahead, and I doubt an election is imminent.

The first time only some enabling works were completed - utility relocation and the like. They never got as far as the tunnel boring. I figure we're a year ahead of when Harris "deferred" Eglinton subway construction.

The first time only some enabling works were completed - utility relocation and the like. They never got as far as the tunnel boring. I figure we're a year ahead of when Harris "deferred" Eglinton subway construction.

Back on August 8, 2013, they started work on "Steel Beam/Pile Removal on Eglinton Avenue West near Old Park Road". See this link.

August 8, 2013
Stage 2 – Hydro Relocation

The Eglinton Crosstown is a transit project that will provide rapid and reliable service across Eglinton Avenue including an underground central section. The Crosstown will be up to 60% faster than bus service today.

What Work is Starting?

What: Crews will need to relocate overhead power lines for the ongoing work of removing piles in conflict with The Crosstown tunnel route. The piles are located on the north side of Eglinton Avenue West near Old Park Road.

Why: Piles were previously installed in the roadway of Eglinton Avenue West as underground structural support for a rapid transit expansion program that was initiated in the mid-1990s and later cancelled. This material needs to be removed to make way for the tunnels for The Crosstown.

Where: The piles in conflict with The Crosstown tunnel route are located on the north side of Eglinton Avenue West near Old Park Road. Additional piles on the south side of the Eglinton Avenue will be removed in a further stage of work on The Crosstown.

When: Pile removal has commenced on the north side of Eglinton and will continue once overhead power lines are relocated safely out of the way. Since space in the area is limited, construction equipment will be moved in and out as it is needed for each stage of work. Relocation of the power lines will commence later. Pile removal will continue following the relocation of the power lines. The preparation and relocation of power lines is expected to take several weeks. Some works may be rescheduled or adjusted due unforeseen circumstances. Construction noise and some vibration can be expected.

- See more at: http://www.thecrosstown.ca/news-med...-west-near-old-park-road#sthash.rDchGrQM.dpuf

A second tunnel boring machine is on the move on the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT. The machine started driving east toward Keele St. from Black Creek Dr. on Monday, a little over three months after Metrolinx’s June launch of its twin.

The first tunnel borer is now near Keele St., having travelled about 155 metres and installed 99 rings of the tunnel wall. It has been shut down for about three weeks while the full conveyor system that moves the earth and gravel back to the tunnel entrance can be assembled.

About 10 of the 19-kilometres of the $4.9 billion provincially funded LRT will run underneath Eglinton. It will surface around Brentcliffe Rd. in the east and travel on the surface to Kennedy Station.

The pair, affectionately known as Dennis and Lea, after the Mount Dennis and Leaside neighbourhoods, is among four giant tunnel boring machines that will dig the Crosstown. The other pair that will tunnel westward toward Yonge St. from Brentcliffe, are called Don and Humber after the rivers.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201..._crosstown_tunneling_machine_on_the_move.html

Aside from the conveyor belt system installation, hopefully the station headwall construction will not delay the tunnelling activity. On the bright side, at least there is now visible progress.

http://www.toronto.ca/eglinton//pdf/egconnects_flyer_oct13.pdf

They were sending these fliers out around midtown today. As a resident of Eglinton, exciting stuff! Particularly stoked about the bike lanes.

Here is the accompanying article on the mainpage: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/10/city-invites-you-rethink-eglinton

Now here is something that is particularly interesting to me. I live in a condo in a small complex at one of the intersections along Eglinton that have been identified as a future potential development node. I saw one of those 'hypothetical' ideas for the future of the intersection and it included the tearing down of my building and replacement with a mid or highrise. :p Wonder what to make of that.

The bike lanes are great news. It's good to see the city being responsive to the public input. Many people talked about the need for bike lanes on the central part of Eglinton at meetings and on the feedback forms.

Okay i'm all for heritage preservation but what is so special about this building? I've passed it a million times and never took a second look at it...because it's nothing special.

From resident Simon Chamberlain mentioned in the article:

"From the Bluenose schooner carved into the stone façade to the steel-framed windows, it stands out along the down-at-heel strip."

Okay i'm all for heritage preservation but what is so special about this building? I've passed it a million times and never took a second look at it...because it's nothing special.

How do you pass it? By vehicle, transit, on foot? If it's the former option(s), then I could probably say the same about many beautiful buildings; as driving doesn't allow for enough time to register one's surroundings in great detail.

How do you pass it? By vehicle, transit, on foot? If it's the former option(s), then I could probably say the same about many beautiful buildings; as driving doesn't allow for enough time to register one's surroundings in great detail.

I've done all three, I know the area very well. The building is nothing special.

We'll be getting a peek at the new Eglinton-Yonge Station in the coming weeks, according to Steve Munro.

...regarding Eglinton-Yonge Station, they “hope to have a final concept that Metrolinx, City and TTC agree on in the coming weeks and will present in the public session of the Metrolinx December Board meeting”.

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=8544

Back