Mr. Williamson explained: “Typhus disappears in the soil over time.â€

Anybody else wondering about this a little bit?

Might explain the many incarnations of the edifice which once had checkered tablecloths and wannabe broadway line-ups to get it in.

Maybe the Festival Tower will now be clad in green glass as a tribute to the Irish.

As for the dead bodies... we can use the bones to construct Toronto's version of the Catacombs, a great location for a horror movie shoot...

50-10-catwide.jpg

(Okay, we don't have that many bones, but I think you get my idea.)

If over 800 people died there- surely it will be haunted.

A Potter's Field cemetary used to be located at Yonge and Bloor. Have there been any hauntings associated with it at Bloor-Yonge subway station?

"Is it really erasing its past? I mean, these huts were removed over a hundred years ago, and it's an empty lot. I don't think that it should remain an empty lot forever simply because it housed typhus patients almost two centuries ago."

I don't think anybody here is advocating that the lot should not be developed. Again, a historical plaque would suffice to keep the story alive. I always find them interesting to read, wherever I am, and would like to see more of them. In Europe you can often take self-guided tours around whole towns and villages by following such signs. The bigger picture though is clearly the lack of will or interest in Toronto.

The bigger picture though is clearly the lack of will or interest in Toronto.

There's already a plaque across the street and they are doing excavations so in this case I disagree there's a lack of will or interest.

On a similar note- I really wish they would get going with the transportation museum. It's a glorious space and location- indeed it would be ideal for the Museum of Toronto (MOT?) as well.

yeah, my comment regarding erasing our past was more in reference to the general attitude towards toronto's history, and not this specific site.

I understand the city is of course still very young, and that it doesn't have the history of a new york or a montreal; all I'm saying is that it would be nice to hear more stories like this, more often.

I know there have been a few recent updates regarding the Festival Tower in other threads, but seeing as they are now in full swing constructing the Sales office, I thought I would bring its official thread back to life.

Walked by today and the ground is being torn up as we speak; there is also a bunch of huge steel beams sitting in the middle of the lot.

also, close by, I noticed today that fencing is going up around the Glass site. I haven't heard anything about it recently, but could it really be ready to go up?

"but could it really be ready to go up"

that's what they have been advertising

Construction Begins For Festival Centre
2/1/2007 — Festival Centre

Toronto - Construction for TIFFG's Festival Centre begins today, marking the launch of the Group's landmark destination facility dedicated to the moving image. Fencing has now been placed around the perimeter of the King and John Streets' site, with full hoarding to be installed by early March. An official groundbreaking ceremony co-presented by the King and John Festival Corporation is planned for spring to celebrate and acknowledge all those who have participated in the project to-date.

"This truly is a momentous occasion for TIFFG and all our partners involved in this project," said Piers Handling, Director and CEO of the Toronto International Film Festival Group. "We have eagerly awaited this day since launching our campaign in 2003. Seeing all the activity on the site realizes a dream for this organization and Toronto. Once completed, the building will be a state-of-the-art structure filled with filmmakers, cinephiles, children, educators, arts enthusiasts, international tourists, and the best programming in the world."

Designed by world-renowned architectural firm KPMB, Festival Centre is a dynamic, open and inviting facility located on the northwest corner of King and John Streets. The site consists of TIFFG's Festival Centre, a five-storey podium building housing the Group's operations, a gallery, five cinemas, educational suites and a film reference library, and Festival Tower, a 37-story residential condominium. The project is a co-development between TIFFG and the King and John Festival Corporation, comprised of The Daniels Corporation, filmmaker Ivan Reitman and the Reitman Family.

TIFFG thanks its Festival Centre founding sponsor Bell, who through an innovative marketing alliance, will name Festival Centre and retain exclusive telecom sponsorship of the Group. TIFFG also thanks its Federal and Provincial Government partners, who are each contributing $25 million towards the capital costs of Festival Centre.

The Toronto International Film Festival Group is a charitable, not-for-profit, cultural organization whose mission is to transform the way people see the world. Its vision is to lead the world in creative and cultural discovery through the moving image.

only 37 floors?... i thought this one was approved at 45 or something like that...

I'm just guessing here but perhaps they're not including the podium?? 37 floors on top of the 5 storey podium would put it at 42, making the project a tad more exciting than a mere.. 37.

Your guess is correct. The 5 podium floors are double-height too, compared to average residential buildings, so the top of this tower will be similar to 47 floor condo towers.

The sales office will be on the south side of Adelaide, immediately north of the Festival Centre's site, BTW.

My guess is that this will sell quickly and they were able to arrange financing knowing that. With construction already started, it will serve as an added incentive to potential purchasers.

I really think the first 5 floors of the podium are much more important on this project because of the location and use.

Back