The city should show this project to all future Yonge St developers and tell them this is what we're looking for. It's the perfect balance of preserving Yonges' character and increasing density.

Earlier today:

IMG00208-20110611-1335-1.jpg

IMG00207-20110611-1334-1.jpg

so how do they prevent the buildings from falling down?
i don't see any form of bracing and what happened to the basements?

so how do they prevent the buildings from falling down?
i don't see any form of bracing and what happened to the basements?

What are being demolished are the numerous additions that have accumulated over the decades behind the original 19th century buildings. These buildings have their own structural integrity and don't need to be braced. The facade of 5 St. Joseph, however, will have to be supported when the building behind it comes down.

The city should show this project to all future Yonge St developers and tell them this is what we're looking for. It's the perfect balance of preserving Yonges' character and increasing density.

I agree. This development should be a model for future development under similar circumstances (i.e. main street heritage blocks with land in the back used for an attractive new building with high density).

I agree. This development should be a model for future development under similar circumstances (i.e. main street heritage blocks with land in the back used for an attractive new building with high density).

Interesting, junctionist, that in the 1970's, this was the premise behind the Dundas/Sherbourne project by Diamond & Myers:

article3-1.jpg

dundassherbourne.gif

dundassherbourne2.gif

dusndassherbourne3.gif

A few more from today

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

St. Joseph St. -

Behind on Phipps St. -

Back