Forgive my ignorance but are the buildings along Yonge being torn down and then rebuilt? Or are they remaining there?

And if they are not being demolished, does the developer not want to make the best use of the space underneath them for the parking garage?

From what I recall reading in the Staff Report they will remain where they are, but subject to a cleanup or restoration (hurray!) - hopefully nothing like that mess on Yonge St. south of Breadalbane - but the newer, rear additions to the Yonge Street shops/apartments will be demolished. Presumably the parking will be beneath the additions and 5 St. Joseph.

Forgive my ignorance but are the buildings along Yonge being torn down and then rebuilt? Or are they remaining there?

And if they are not being demolished, does the developer not want to make the best use of the space underneath them for the parking garage?

The buildings on Yonge are being retained and restored (a detailed heritage plan was prepared by ERA Architects). Additions that have accumulated over the years are being demolished. A second floor roof garden designed by Janet Rosenberg will separate the Yonge buildings from the new tower. There will be no excavation (or parking) under the heritage buildings.

Last edited:
The last dying moments of Carrington's bar. There are about 10 years worth of plaques on that wall. I didn't realize the place was open that long.

carringtons.jpg

There was a ton of dust and tiny bits of debris flying around that area when I walked past this afternoon. Wasn't pleasant to walk through but when demolishing something so close to Yonge, I guess that's inevitable.

Exciting to see this one starting up :).

A bit of info that we already know from DCN....http://dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?...9341f5f34bb2&projectid=9114748&region=ontario

CONDOMINIUM BUILDING, RETAIL
Proj: 9114748-6
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/PLANS COMPLETE

Five Condos, 5 St Joseph Street, Yonge St, Saint Nicholas St, M4Y 1J6
$50,000,000 est
Start: September, 2011 Complete: March, 2012

Note:
Working drawings are complete. Demolition on site is underway. Site work and excavation are expected late August 2011. Construction manger expects invited tenders will be issued for mechanical, electrical trades and formwork trades July 2011. All sub trade pricing will be secured fall 2011. Further update fall 2011.
www.fivecondos.com The project will be developed in joint-venture with MOD Developments Ltd. ERA Architects is undertaking design for the restoration of existing buildings on the site.

Project:
concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, structural steel frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed construction of a 45-storey glass and steel condominium apartment building with 412 units. The project will be built above three existing brick-clad heritage buildings at 11 Saint Joseph St and 9-25 Saint Nicholas St, these will be redeveloped for approximately 30,000 sq ft of retail and amenity space. An existing building at 5 St Joseph will be redeveloped for the entryway.

Scope:
470,000 square feet; 45 storeys; 1 storey below grade; 4 structures; 419 units; 1 acres

I can't escape the feeling that it's beyond stupid to add all these high rises to such small streets. 75 Nicholas St (I wouldn't even call it a street), Casa 1 and 2, U Condos, 5 St. Joseph. How the hell are tiny streets like Charles, Nicholas, St. Joseph (and Bay and Yonge, which while bigger, are really not all that large) going to handle the addition of all these new people and their cars? It's going to be a permanent gridlock. And to think that within 1 km, you have the #1 and 2 tallest condos in Canada being built.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't escape the feeling that it's beyond stupid to add all these high rises to such small streets. 75 Nicholas St (I wouldn't even call it a street), Casa 1 and 2, U Condos, 5 St. Joseph. How the hell are tiny streets like Charles, Nicholas, St. Joseph (and Bay and Yonge, which while bigger, are really not all that large) going to handle the addition of all these new people and their cars? It's going to be a permanent gridlock. And to think that within 1 km, you have the #1 and 2 tallest condos in Canada being built.

I understand your concerns but I think you're overblowing the impact here.

The subway line is right there and a lot of people will hop on. And if highrises ruined downtown cores then you have to explain cities like NY and Chicago that seem to thrive.

There's going to be more congestion but we'll adapt.

NYC has bigger streets and almost all are one-way. Toronto doesn't have streets that are this big. Also, our subway is at capacity. If we're going to be like NYC, why not add a big park to downtown first? As it is, and as it appears it's going to be, the downtown core is all glass and concrete.

People living here will not use cars. I'm more worried about overcrowding on sidewalks. We'll need to expand into the current roadspace.

A bit of info that we already know from DCN....http://dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?...9341f5f34bb2&projectid=9114748&region=ontario

CONDOMINIUM BUILDING, RETAIL
Proj: 9114748-6
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/PLANS COMPLETE

Five Condos, 5 St Joseph Street, Yonge St, Saint Nicholas St, M4Y 1J6
$50,000,000 est
Start: September, 2011 Complete: March, 2012

Note:
Working drawings are complete. Demolition on site is underway. Site work and excavation are expected late August 2011. Construction manger expects invited tenders will be issued for mechanical, electrical trades and formwork trades July 2011. All sub trade pricing will be secured fall 2011. Further update fall 2011.
www.fivecondos.com The project will be developed in joint-venture with MOD Developments Ltd. ERA Architects is undertaking design for the restoration of existing buildings on the site.

Project:
concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, structural steel frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed construction of a 45-storey glass and steel condominium apartment building with 412 units. The project will be built above three existing brick-clad heritage buildings at 11 Saint Joseph St and 9-25 Saint Nicholas St, these will be redeveloped for approximately 30,000 sq ft of retail and amenity space. An existing building at 5 St Joseph will be redeveloped for the entryway.

Scope:
470,000 square feet; 45 storeys; 1 storey below grade; 4 structures; 419 units; 1 acres

The mistakes contained within this article are almost too many to correct. Suffice it to say, the most obvious ones are:

- FIVE has nothing to do with 11 St. Joseph, an existing residential building;
- There are 493 units;
- There will be five levels of underground parking

As has been mentioned here in the past, the DCN is a notoriously bad source of information.

Back