DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing - they didn't put up protective hoardings on the windows of the neighboring building - the demo guys must work delicately here.

The neighbouring building is also coming down. I don't think anyone cares particularly if something gets broken

Though maybe another factor behind the lack of protection is that said building is as thick as an ox, being an old backalley storage/warehouse facility...

I was watching some of the demolition on Thursday and I've gotta say it was the most gentle and gingerly demo I've ever seen. Spectators were actually leaving out of boredom. One guy behind me said "well, they built it one brick at a time and now they're tearing it down one brick at a time".

How much of the old five are they keeping?

The row of historic stores on Yonge are being retained and restored, with new retail at grade and new residential units above. The four-storey facade of the 1905 warehouse at 5 St. Joseph is being retained and integrated into the podium (the drill rigs on St. Joseph are forming the caissons which will support the steel frame that will hold up the facade until the underground garage and the podium is complete.)

5TerracesFromNE.jpg

The balance of the site is being demolished and reconstructed in a masonry hommage to the original:

5StNicThreeQuarter.jpg

5StJosephStNicholas1024.jpg

Back