News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Gay Pride is required as long as people say "I don't know why we need a Gay Pride." If it's not needed, it's presence won't irritate anyone.

The Santa Claus parade seems fairly heterosexual.

According to Toronto police, they make more arrests during the Santa Clause parade then during Pride....perhpas the striaght people should learn to behave themselves in public, 'specially when there are children around.

Gay Pride is required as long as people say "I don't know why we need a Gay Pride." If it's not needed, it's presence won't irritate anyone.

Well said. Who has ever been fired, assaulted, beat up on the school-yard, publicly ruined, imprisoned, killed, had their rights denied by public referendum or been taught since childhood to censor their every word and action solely because they were heterosexual? Nobody!

Pride is intended to be the opposite of shame. Hence, shameless behaviour ensues. I find it funny when people say the gays "aren't improving their public image" with Pride as if the exercise was staged to put straight people at ease!

maybe it was a typo? maybe it was supposed to read "pubic image"?

;)

If someone is convinced that a behaviour/lifestyle/decision of someone else is not what nature intends or is even harmful to that person, the loving response is not mandating that they conform to your own beliefs; it's getting to know people, it's listening, listening, listening, it's communicating your perspective with grace, it's praying. And in the end, one what find that our differences are only a small aspect of our whole selves and focus on the character of the individuals instead.

If anything, Pride still exists because most people have not yet attained this high plane of consciousness.

No typo. Perhaps you should consult Dr. Freud.

i didn't imply that you made a typo. i was referring to the "people who say" that you mentioned. also, freud has been dead for a long time. what do you take me for? some type of psychic medium? ;)

Oh my bad... I just meant Freud's writing. So... you're saying you AREN'T deeply repressing a homosexual urge to kill your mother and sleep with your father?? ;p

Well said. Who has ever been fired, assaulted, beat up on the school-yard, publicly ruined, imprisoned, killed, had their rights denied by public referendum or been taught since childhood to censor their every word and action solely because they were heterosexual? Nobody!
Fair point, though plenty of people have been publicly ruined for being heterosexual with the wrong person.

Pride is intended to be the opposite of shame. Hence, shameless behaviour ensues. I find it funny when people say the gays "aren't improving their public image" with Pride as if the exercise was staged to put straight people at ease!
While some straights either support or hate Pride (or don't much care), there are many in the "middle" who want to accept the message that gays are not much different than straights, yet are uncomfortable with a parade that prominently displays gay S&M subculture and its associated fashions. At least that's what I hear. Seems like an overreaction to an annual event, but are any gays troubled by that?

are uncomfortable with a parade that prominently displays gay S&M subculture and its associated fashions.

...but are not uncomfortable with the sexual displays at carribana. We call them hypocrites and dismiss their views as garbage.

Fair point, though plenty of people have been publicly ruined for being heterosexual with the wrong person.

But that's a different issue. Tiger woods was ruined for being an adulterer who cheated on his wife and family, not for BEING heterosexual.

While some straights either support or hate Pride (or don't much care), there are many in the "middle" who want to accept the message that gays are not much different than straights, yet are uncomfortable with a parade that prominently displays gay S&M subculture and its associated fashions. At least that's what I hear. Seems like an overreaction to an annual event, but are any gays troubled by that?

But gays ARE different than straights... That's the point! It's making the difference visible so that the reality of gay sexuality isn't marginalized and denied in society at large or in the laws that govern it. The gay S&M crowd is probably the same size (per capita) as the straight S&M crowd. Gays are probably just less uptight about it though since they're used to having their sexual practices judged by a disapproving society... i.e. "who are we to judge consenting adults?"

This kind of event is basically larger than just "gay" sexuality and is really more about the celebration of freedom of expression in all its legal (and sometimes unjustly illegal) forms...

Pride parade's main purpose is to teach five-year-old children to describe sexual acts in explicit detail.

GW:

First, just like straights, LGBT people are made up of diverse groups with different characteristics. What is so difficult to wrap one's head around - just because BDSM subculture is visible doesn't equate to it being "the community" that defines sexual minorities. On top of that, just because one practices BDSM does not equate to visibility by how one dresses either, necessarily (or the other way around).

Second, if one is unsettled by BDSM fashion, one better avoid a huge chunk of pop culture - Mapplethorpe notwithstanding, it's pretty much a mainstream straight thing nowadays. Hell, if you think about it, even stiletto heels are kinky at one point - and let's not even get into the motives behind the design of uniforms throughout history - I am sure the sexualization of power has nothing to do with it.

Third, is the parade ultimately about making LGBT people acceptable to the mainstream? I thought the point of the parade is to stood up for what one is.

UF:

The gay S&M crowd is probably the same size (per capita) as the straight S&M crowd.

Gay men are probably less uptight about trying it, but the per capita rate? I don't know about that.

kettal:

Oh I don't know about that - if they are intellectually acute enough can pick it up from a short parade like this, I am sure they would have done so through sexualization by other medium a LONG time ago.

AoD

Last edited:

Back