Status
Not open for further replies.
The building will actually house the printing facility as well as news and editorial?

Folks they don't currently print the newspaper on Front Street. And they will not add a printing press to the new building. Transcontinental prints the Globe somewhere out in the burbs just like the Sun is printed by Quebecor out in the burbs. The Star prints its own papers at the plant in Vaughan. The National Post I believe is printed in Hamilton.

Given what the DCN has quoted for other projects I gather that estimate is only for the materials portion of the hard costs which would amount to approximately 1/4 of total costs.

So are we talking 160 million..if thats the case then we might see something half decent, considering they already own the lands.

I do expect to see as a minimum the same building height as 400 Wellington (11 to 12-storey) on the south Wellington side of the street, with perhaps a 20ish storey tower at the north-west corner of Front/Spadina (Toyota Dealer). It's likely going to be a deal of some sort to limit heights on Wellington in exchange for more height on Front - something like that. The big thing for me is to get some diversity to the development as it is a great opportunity to tie-in some uses that compliment TIFF, the Thompson Hotel etc. For example, I believe that a new movie theatre complex could be included to service King West, Harbourfront/City Place (remember the soon to arrive pedestrian bridge at Portland/Front). There are a lot of towers there that need a local theatre complex. As well, the theatre could be used to migrate TIFF showings out of Yorkville and to King West. Multi-use is what I am looking for in this development. It is a gateway as many visitors go north on Spadina off the Gardiner. We need something great!

Any new gossip on this one? Has Woodbridge hired anyone yet as architects?
Spill it insiders!
S'Bus

While I am never against new cinemas popping up in Toronto, I just cannot see a multiplex going in there.

That spot is quite close to the Paramount, so Cineplex is not going to build it.
Empire have certainly not shown much gumption since coming to Toronto as regards new cinemas, and Rainbow/Magic Lantern only tends to remake older complexes.
AMC has Yonge-Dundas for their downtown location... and they don't seem to be interested in less than 14 screens at one location, which you couldn't fill that there without a subway station (note to City: good spot for a DRL stop).

Finally, you do have the Lightbox just a few steps away. Between that and the Paramount, isn't that good enough? Without a subway station at Spadina and Front, I just don't see a major entertainment hub popping up here.

All good points, then perhaps a hobby cinema/theatre for Galen- "the Weston Theatre" sounds good to me.
If it is not a cinema, then what would you suggest to add life to the corner?

Truth be told, I would love to see a DRL station at Spadina and Front someday, so in my fantasy Toronto that corner would support a multi-use complex of some kind. My Toronto's future also features a design by Gehry for the new Thomson Globe building, so with Gehry or another major architect in charge, yes, you would think that something special could happen there use-wise as well. That's not to say that would have to happen though: Gehry's IAC HQs in NY is quite a fun building, but it is not much more than simply an office building. This is a much bigger site though...

Last edited:
Hmm. A Museum of Canadian Journalism? No, something livelier needed...

Globe Archive of Infamous Letters To The Editor and Online Reader Comments

Im surprised that they are being that generous with the height of their headquarters building.:confused:

Globe to build a new home at Front and Spadina

The Globe and Mail’s future home will be a low-rise building faced with glass at the corner of one of downtown Toronto’s busiest intersections, publisher Phillip Crawley announced Monday in a meeting with staff.

The new development will be built on a spot currently occupied by a car dealership at Front Street and Spadina Avenue, next door to the paper’s current address.

While The Globe will be the primary tenant for the building, which will likely contain six or seven storeys, there will be room for other tenants as well as a possible space for public events.

The 167-year-old paper has occupied seven buildings over the years. Its most recent move happened in 1974, when its headquarters, on King Street in the financial district, was demolished to make way for the First Canadian Place office tower.

The Globe brought the old building’s doors with it and had them re-installed in its current location. The company hopes to move the doors again to the new building.

The current facility, constructed 48 years ago, was previously owned by the Toronto Telegram, which folded in 1971. It will likely become the site of a high-rise building after The Globe moves out.

Since The Globe’s arrival, the neighbourhood has transformed from a warehouse district into a trendy slice of the city replete with mid-rise condominium buildings and numerous adaptive-reuse projects that have transformed older buildings into office spaces, lofts and nightclubs.

Construction on the paper’s new headquarters is expected to start in 2012.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...new-home-at-front-and-spadina/article2109385/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back