Tell me about it.

Hurontario is long overdue for quality surface transit. Not BRT.

Though the cities are supporting LRT now, it is Metrolinx who will call the final YA!! or NA!!.

Brampton has really come on board for LRT now. Need to get the EA moving to take it up to Mayfield considering that where I have seeing it stopping under Phase 1. Phase 2 and 3 are to Orangeville.

LRT is a must and doing the number for 2031 prove it. Even back end cost really show it the way.

Mississauga Council is going to be a bit of a fight to get them to give up 2 lanes of traffic for LRT. Based on what was said at council today about reducing lanes, no more road widening, adding 300km bike lanes may not be that hard fight now.

This past 6 months or so, I have seen a shift from Pro BRT to LRT.

The Commissioner of Transportation is a Speaker at a BRT Conference in Boston later on this year.

The only problem for the LRT, is how do you build it? The Carhouse is up at 407 and always saw it in that area. Do we build it in phases and open it up as they are done or complete it 100%??

I say we open in phases with Brampton coming on line first follow by Sq One, by 5 & 10, and then Port Credit. Need to have crossovers at various point to deal with phases as well disable cars.

I see one car on opening day with 3 cars units come 2030 every 5 minutes. Platforms must be that long from Day One to hold 3 cars units.

To bad we cannot get 45m units on opening day.

Opening date is?????????????????????????????

Last edited:
Let's worry about one thing at a time. First thing's first: let's get the funding. And if Hazel has any fight in her left, she should fight for the Hurontario LRT.

The boards from this week's PICs are up. They are very good by PIC standards - not too much filler at the beginning:

http://www.hurontario-main.ca/consultation.php

The "character area" boards show much of the proposed alignment.

Some of the highlights:
- Brampton will be running 7 day/week Zum express bus, replacing/supplementing the 102 from Sandalwood to Square One starting in Fall 2011 no matter what, and MT will continue to run express buses from Shoppers to Port Credit, though service levels are not yet set. BT may not run express buses after 10PM, depending on ridership, but would then run the 2 Main bus (local service will continue) at least to Zum's minimum service standards, 15 minutes or better (this means a big improvement no matter what).

- The Shoppers World terminal is going to be moved before Fall 2011, to a new layout at the corner of Steeles and Main, to serve Zum and the proposed LRT.

- Track north of Charolais and south of the QEW will be street-running, instead of in a ROW for the most part. Downtown Brampton will have an on-street loop via Wellington, George and Main, but track will meet the GO station north of the bus terminal, and may be in a ROW on Main Street right downtown. The Port Credit terminal will be on Port Street, a block south of Lakeshore.

- The connection at Cooksville GO looks good.

- There's provisions for through and loop operations at Square One, and a few alternative alignments through there.

They have avoided the "one size fits all" planning that characterizes Transit City apart from Eglinton. I hope this happens.

Yesterday's NP had a relevant article:
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto/story.html?id=2745975

Brampton, Mississauga hope their LRT survives
Ontario tells Metrolinx to cut $4-billion
Alex Keshen, National Post Published: Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Officials in Mississauga and Brampton are hoping the province's plans to slash Toronto's transit funding will not affect Peel Region's ambitious plans for a streetcar connecting the two cities.

The light rail line, which would stretch from downtown Brampton to Mississauga's waterfront, is proposed for the busy Hurontario and Main streets corridor. The first two phases of a Peel Region study are nearing completion, with the final public consultations taking place this week.

"Right now we have excellent transit ridership along the corridor," said Matthew Williams, the project leader for the City of Mississauga. "It probably matches what some communities that already have light rail transit [see]."

The proposed LRT line would cost an estimated $1-billion to $1.2-billion, be about 20 kilometres long and replace buses along the corridor, which carries as many as 26,000 transit-users a day. It would have about 30 stops as well as connections to existing GO Transit lines and transit terminals en route. The transit line will likely consist of both reserved LRT right-of-ways and mixed-use traffic lanes.

"We have a lot of east-west movement along the corridor as well, a lot of traffic movement, and we think LRT will have the least impact on the operations of the road because you can carry a lot more people in fewer vehicles," Mr. Williams said.

The LRT line is one of 15 projects listed as priorities by Metrolinx, the province's regional transportation agency. In its budget last week, the provincial government asked Metrolinx to cut $4-billion in transit infrastructure spending, but the request only affects already-funded projects in the city of Toronto.

Metrolinx spokesman Vanessa Thomas said projects that aren't yet funded, like the Hurontario and Main Streets transit way, "are in the same position they were before the provincial announcement."

"Metrolinx has made no decision as to the transit projects that will now have an extended time frame for completion," Ms. Thomas said.

Leslie Woo, vice-president of policy and planning for Metrolinx, said the project is "very viable and worthy of funding." She added: "When that funding comes is a different question. That's beyond our control."

Regardless of the current state of funding, Mr. Williams of Mississauga remains optimistic: "I'm hoping down the road the sun will come out and there will be another great building boom for transit."

Shawn De Jager, project leader for the City of Brampton, said collaboration on the transit project between the two cities has been smooth, but the question of a single or double fare when crossing city lines remains unanswered.

Shawn De Jager, project leader for the City of Brampton, said collaboration on the transit project between the two cities has been smooth, but the question of a single or double fare when crossing city lines remains unanswered.

A couple of pages ago I asked who would operate this system (I wondered about BT or MT or a new PT) and the responses i got indicated (and convinced me) that it did not matter because BT and MT accept each other's transfers....so there would be no difference......this seems to indicate that there could be (and may already be) fare doubling at the B-M border.

Did I misunderstand earlier or am I misunderstanding this comment.

I don't see how they could possibly charge a double fare at the Brampton-Mississauga border. It isn't a direct quotation, so maybe they just misunderstood what the project leader was referring to? There has never been a double-fare to cross the border, don't see how they would do that now that MT and BT are going to be cooperating even more.

There has never been a double fare because MT and BT have remain separate, and there are no contracted or combined routes. That will change with the 102 and the LRT, obviously. Rapid transit on Hurontario will create a conflict and hope this is the start of a movement toward a Peel Region Transit. The talk already started in Halton, and so Peel is the only one left.

It probably IS time for MT and BT to merge. But that would move Mississauga in the opposite direction of the direction it wants to go, i.e. a single-tier city.

I assume that's simply an arbitrary date selected as a basis for costing. All the recent BCA's use that date don't they?

There has never been a double fare because MT and BT have remain separate, and there are no contracted or combined routes. That will change with the 102 and the LRT, obviously. Rapid transit on Hurontario will create a conflict and hope this is the start of a movement toward a Peel Region Transit. The talk already started in Halton, and so Peel is the only one left.
Umm, there is a co-fare system between MT and BT and PRESTO being adopted by both is give a measurable utility split so the co-fares can be divided based on how much one system is used over the other.

Of all the transit projects in Canada, I have the most faith that this one will be funded and constructed by mid-2015. The only real obstacle is if we shift to PC in 2012 and funding hasn't already been allocated or construction started. If the LPO slips it in, then it can get past the "no new spending" principle.

Back