Bullshit - every transit technology has its limits. Just one example: Ottawa's BRT downtown cannot meet capacity, period. Mixed-traffic buses, streetcars, light rail, subways - all have maximum capacities inherent to the technology (and these are higher than capacities you get with regular investment).
There is a limit people per vehicle and limit vehicles per lane, and limit of lanes per grade seperation and direction and limit of vehicles per hour. You can build bigger or smaller buses; you can skip stations/stops with pocket tracks/bus stops; you can make one-way roads, subways or raised roads. None of those things are contingent if it's a bus, car, train, tram, or unicycle using the corridor. "Mixed-traffic" operations isn't an inherent capacity limit on any transit mode, it's just an operational choice that increases affordability.

Does anyone know off-hand if the stop spacing for the Hurontario LRT is more akin to (A) regular Toronto streetcars (B) currently planned Transit City LRT lines or (C) LRTs in other cities which are actually rapid (e.g. Calgary, Edmonton?). I apologize for being too lazy to research the answer. I expect doady or drum118 to know the answer :)

EDIT: Clearing out my desktop I noticed I had the Metrolinx BCA and for the all-LRT option I calculated the speed of the LRT to be 32 km/h (from ETA of 38 min for 20.8 km). What is a speed of 32 km/h comparable to? How fast do subways run? Streetcars?

Last edited:
Stop spacing is somewhat farther apart than the Transit City lines, as is planned at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if a basic bus route remained on Hurontario replicating the LRT, akin to 98/99 on Viva Blue or 1 on 501 Zum. (This is the plan when 502 Main/Hurontario Zum comes online next year.)

Hmm I personally don't think a parallel bus route is necessary, but I don't live on Hurontario.

CC, you can see the stops locations mapped out in the reports.

I don't like the idea of parallel bus service, but probably north of Square One it can't be helped because the density is so low that the stops have to be far apart. And then there's the lack of a stop at Kingsbridge/Elia.

South of Square One, the stops are closer together and similar to the spacing of the stations of the Bloor-Danforth line. The only problem is the large gap between the Dundas and Queensway stations (but that can be fixed be moving the Queensway station to Paisley as Queensway is useless anyways). Otherwise, buses will not be needed south of Square One. So all they would need to do is extend BT route 2 south to Square One and the 19 can be canceled altogether. BT provides the bus service and MT provides the train service. It makes sense.

32 km/h is probably similar to the subways.

CC, you can see the stops locations mapped out in the reports.

I'm well aware of that. I looked at them. The stops are all quite logical in my opinion. But it's still difficult to compare to the subway network because (A) it's not built yet and (B) we don't know how fast it'll actually run.

In my opinion, if it's average operational speed is as fast as Bloor-Danforth's average operational speed, then I'll consider it a success. If it's marginally slower, it'll be acceptable. If it's significantly slower, then it's a failure.

32 km/h is probably similar to the subways.

So we shall see how this bears out in real life once built! :)

Master plan
28MB version: http://hurontario-main.ca/PDFs/masterplan/Hurontario_Master_Plan_Final_LowRes.pdf
139MB version: http://hurontario-main.ca/PDFs/masterplan/Hurontario_Master_Plan_Final_HighRes.pdf

Okay, so the projected ridership is 110,000 riders per weekday. Just for reference, in North America, only Boston, Calgary and Monterrey currently have busier light rail lines than that.

The projected ridership is quite high so the LRVs will be coupled into two or three car trains (each car has a capacity of 138 people) and boarding platforms will be 60m long. 20 trains will provide 4-5 minute service and the average speed will be 35 km/h (as fast as the TTC subway, if not faster).

The construction will be done in two phases: the northern section, Burnhamthorpe to Downtown Brampton, by 2016; and southern section, Burnhamthorpe to Port Credit, by 2021. I think this is a mistake because the southern section is much busier and denser right now, but that's politics for ya. But I guess they do technical justifications for it also (connecting to the LRV storage/maintenance facility at Highway 407).

Master plan
28MB version: http://hurontario-main.ca/PDFs/masterplan/Hurontario_Master_Plan_Final_LowRes.pdf
139MB version: http://hurontario-main.ca/PDFs/masterplan/Hurontario_Master_Plan_Final_HighRes.pdf

Okay, so the projected ridership is 110,000 riders per weekday. Just for reference, in North America, only Boston, Calgary and Monterrey currently have busier light rail lines than that.

The projected ridership is quite high so the LRVs will be coupled into two or three car trains (each car has a capacity of 138 people) and boarding platforms will be 60m long. 20 trains will provide 4-5 minute service and the average speed will be 35 km/h (as fast as the TTC subway, if not faster).

The construction will be done in two phases: the northern section, Burnhamthorpe to Downtown Brampton, by 2016; and southern section, Burnhamthorpe to Port Credit, by 2021. I think this is a mistake because the southern section is much busier and denser right now, but that's politics for ya. But I guess they do technical justifications for it also (connecting to the LRV storage/maintenance facility at Highway 407).

They have to build the northeren section first as that is where the carhouse is going to be located in the first place.

How do you build the southern section first when it will not have access to a carhouse for cars that will be used on that section in the first place.

Yeah... it's probably better to download the 28mb version...

It's very comprehensive and rapid transit along Highway 10 fits the development goals of the cities and the province, so there's a lot to talk about. Unlike Transit City, where the alternatives (including alt. routings) weren't studied and the routes don't fit into either the city's or the province's objectives (e.g. The Avenues, Places to Grow).

Back