At least that means it would be easier to retrofit green track if Mississauga wanted it...
NO

There is the lack of drainage as well the ability to hold grass in place on the outside of the rail as it is above ground. The tracks for some reason and haven't been given answer as to why it is a rollercoaster in elevation from being above the road to being below the road as a level line. The contractor is totally against having grass ROW.

Also starting on Oct. 19 at 10 p.m. and going until Dec. 18, left-hand turns at the intersection of Eglinton Avenue and Hurontario Street will not be permitted to accommodate guideway installation work.

Both eastbound and westbound movements will be reduced to a single lane in each direction.

I didn’t see that in the marketing campaign.

Is there an abundance of parking downtown Brampton that I am not aware about?

Why is it not possible that people wanted to use downtown Mississauga as a park and ride to downtown Brampton. At least the Mississauga people could catch a go train to Guelph or a via train to London from Brampton.

Hard to understand how a network between the two cities isn’t beneficial to everyone.
Let me rephrase, the modelling for ridership always showed downtown Brampton being much more heavily an origin station in the morning, and a destination in the afternoon. There is an abundance of parking in downtown Brampton, the City owns in excess of 2000 spots. At peak demand before the pandemic, there were still 700 parking spaces free.

Why would people want to go to downtown Brampton, what is the draw? The nearest residential area along Hurontario in Mississauga is at Matheson. The distance between Matheson and Brampton GO is further than the distance between Matheson and Port Credit GO, so if I want to go to Toronto, Port Credit is easier to get to. If I want to get to Guelph, I could get a GO bus from Square One. If I want to go to London, then catching the 3x a day to London train via Oakville would probably be more convenient than catching the one per day train to London via Brampton GO. There is a very large employment area in Mississauga between Brampton and the northernmost Mississauga residential area along Hurontario, this means there is far more to draw Bramptonians to Mississauga, than there is to draw people from Mississauga to Brampton. That will enable significant growth in office employment in Mississauga, stifling employment growth in Brampton. With the current costs of the LRT, this would mean there is very little gained by Brampton, yet much gained by Mississauga.

Let me rephrase, the modelling for ridership always showed downtown Brampton being much more heavily an origin station in the morning, and a destination in the afternoon. There is an abundance of parking in downtown Brampton, the City owns in excess of 2000 spots. At peak demand before the pandemic, there were still 700 parking spaces free.

Why would people want to go to downtown Brampton, what is the draw? The nearest residential area along Hurontario in Mississauga is at Matheson. The distance between Matheson and Brampton GO is further than the distance between Matheson and Port Credit GO, so if I want to go to Toronto, Port Credit is easier to get to. If I want to get to Guelph, I could get a GO bus from Square One. If I want to go to London, then catching the 3x a day to London train via Oakville would probably be more convenient than catching the one per day train to London via Brampton GO. There is a very large employment area in Mississauga between Brampton and the northernmost Mississauga residential area along Hurontario, this means there is far more to draw Bramptonians to Mississauga, than there is to draw people from Mississauga to Brampton. That will enable significant growth in office employment in Mississauga, stifling employment growth in Brampton. With the current costs of the LRT, this would mean there is very little gained by Brampton, yet much gained by Mississauga.
As a Mississauga resident it would be nice to get to the Rose theatre.

Rogers is building a large office developement right beside Brampton GO train that surely some people will want to get to.

The LRT will create more new development downtown Brampton. Some residential. Some business. Each will create new opportunities and reasons for people to want to visit Brampton. It will also allow the new people who live there to move around the region easier. By the logic here presented Brampton should currently close down their GO train because they want to force all Brampton people to work and play only in Brampton. I think most people would think that is a wild idea.

this means there is far more to draw Bramptonians to Mississauga, than there is to draw people from Mississauga to Brampton. That will enable significant growth in office employment in Mississauga, stifling employment growth in Brampton. With the current costs of the LRT, this would mean there is very little gained by Brampton, yet much gained by Mississauga.
This is the equivalent to saying Richmond Hill doesn’t want a Line 1 Yonge extension because locals will go work in Toronto.

This isn’t the same concept as brain drain; regardless of where they work, residents will generate tax revenue for their city and growth depends on this.

Making a large job centre accessible to a city draws in residents. Isolating a city and restricting its connectivity to a larger metropolitan area inherently stifles growth.

Furthermore, downtown Brampton has a rapidly growing Algoma campus. Now that’s an essential destination.

Last edited:

Aside from what other commenters have said above; Brampton is making a big push for a robust downtown; the river walk project is critical set up for that...............

The big planning vision is here:

From the above:

1697803894699.png

1697803953861.png

1697803975760.png

Lets grant that this is 'aspirational'. But Brampton is taking real steps in this direction. It may be a bit optimistic, but its not incredulous.

Also starting on Oct. 19 at 10 p.m. and going until Dec. 18, left-hand turns at the intersection of Eglinton Avenue and Hurontario Street will not be permitted to accommodate guideway installation work.

Both eastbound and westbound movements will be reduced to a single lane in each direction.
Ohhhh boyyy

Maybe we should just tear down the Hurontario overpass over the 401 and let Bramptonians stay in the land of milk and honey.

Aside from what other commenters have said above; Brampton is making a big push for a robust downtown; the river walk project is critical set up for that...............

The big planning vision is here:

Lets grant that this is 'aspirational'. But Brampton is taking real steps in this direction. It may be a bit optimistic, but its not incredulous.
I’m with NL on this one. Given Brampton’s Council’s governance issues and its self-owns, as well as the city’s tendency to get ignored at the Provincial and Federal level, I’m skeptical about whether this vision will be realized, but…it’s a totally reasonable vision.

That said, Downtown Brampton has never been a destination - even if you lived in Brampton. It’s unfortunate, because I do think it has the bones to be vibrant and less car-oriented. (Personal opinion, even more so than Square One.)

I’m with NL on this one. Given Brampton’s Council’s governance issues and its self-owns, as well as the city’s tendency to get ignored at the Provincial and Federal level, I’m skeptical about whether this vision will be realized, but…it’s a totally reasonable vision.

That said, Downtown Brampton has never been a destination - even if you lived in Brampton. It’s unfortunate, because I do think it has the bones to be vibrant and less car-oriented. (Personal opinion, even more so than Square One.)
As a square one resident. I would love to visit downtown Brampton on foot. But I need an LRT to get me there and for it to revitalize the area so there is something to see once I get there.

The 2023 Official Plan is set to be approved on Monday. The whole agenda for it is here.

Back