A Queen Street LRT isn't too far of a thought. While it's most likely going to be a proper BRT due to linking to the Highway 7 BRT in York Region, Metrolinx hasn't ruled out the possibility of it being LRT if the EA shows it would be better, one of the Metrolinx officials told me in March.

Closing Main between Queen and Neslon?

Which building by the GO? The privately owned retail strip? or the apartment building?

Yes to Queen and Neslon.

There are 2 buildings on Main St on the north side of the driveway for GO parking. Its the first building. The corner store will remain and be develop over time as well the other building to the west before the condo.

I know a few developers that call for the closing of this block before this PIC. Some people where saying there parking elsewhere that can be used than here. City staff prefer the block close.

Yes to Queen and Neslon.

There are 2 buildings on Main St on the north side of the driveway for GO parking. Its the first building. The corner store will remain and be develop over time as well the other building to the west before the condo.

We talking about the southwest corner? it is one plaza with a split to allow vehicle access behind. The portion right at the corner has BMO a pizza joint and a Japanese resto....irrespective of what is there....am I now understanding that this LRT will need this property to be acquired/expropriated and the GO parking behind it get eliminated? FYI...while the apartment building between this and the main GO parking lot was built as a condo it is a subsidized housing project.

I know a few developers that call for the closing of this block before this PIC. Some people where saying there parking elsewhere that can be used than here. City staff prefer the block close.

I think the main people who would be opposed to the closing of Main from Queen to Nelson would be the retailers on that strip.....none high profile and none, likely, high profit...but they rely on some extent on the ability of people to park right in front and jump in....(think King and Queen streets in Toronto...on a much smaller scale) and were the very people who fought against paid parking and, really, gave birth to the city's "first hour free" parking policy.

EDIT: follow up question....if we are talking about the same building that needs to go....why? How are they affected by the LRT?

Last edited:
I should had post this before, but there is a Western GTA Summit being held on Tuesday, May 21 where this LRT will be part of the transit panel round table.

The summit runs from 1:00 Pm to 9:00 pm at the Mississauga Convention Centre (75 Derry Road West, Mississauga) and its free.

Top heavy hitters will be there http://westerngtasummit.ca/

Why don't we reroute car traffic on Hurontario/Main.
Hurontario.jpg

Did you just build a road over a creek/park system?

Yes I did, I would argue that if designed well, it wouldn't use up too much park space. The park space is really only used 6 months of the year in summer while the road would be useful for 12 months of the year.

You do realize they can't build on any of the creeks/rivers/lands around bodies of water in the GTA because they all double as stormwater/flood protection, right/

Yes I did, I would argue that if designed well, it wouldn't use up too much park space. The park space is really only used 6 months of the year in summer while the road would be useful for 12 months of the year.

we really should get rid of all the parks and bike trails in all the cities then! ;)

You do realize they can't build on any of the creeks/rivers/lands around bodies of water in the GTA because they all double as stormwater/flood protection, right/

Are you crazy? The one good thing about growing up in Brampton was the awesome park system.

That was largely because of flooding. Etobicoke Creek used to run right underneath Downtown Brampton, so every few years, there would be flooding. The worst one was in 1948, so soon after, a diversion channel was built (the concrete creek bed that passes to the west of Main Street). That was great timing as the creek was rerouted just before Hurricane Hazel hit. That would have made 1948 look like a simple watermain break.

Since parts of Downtown Brampton is still in a historical floodplain, it complicates highrise construction.

That's why Etobicoke creek is protected and Brampton has one of the most continuous linear park systems in Ontario.

Back