As I walked by today, looked hard for blue, still didnt see any. So I turned on my camera's viewfinder and hints of blue appeared. To my naked eye the cladding appears clear-grey, with grey spandrel. Then when I turn on my camera, blue appears everywhere, in the glass and in the spandrel. Quick look through my cameras memory, of the pictures there, all but the one I posted above, were clear with grey spandrel. You have to look really hard when you're at the site to see blue.

It will be more obvious when there's a lot more glass. I also have a feeling we will have two different shades of glass on the building.

I know they are putting some tint on the glass which is South facing(to prevent excess sun/heat). Whether it will change the colour of the glass or not, not sure.

I took a few shots this morning

sany0206u.jpg

sany0207x.jpg

sany0208.jpg

Last edited:
More Cafe Au Lait with Caltrane this morning.....

They are forming the 17th/16th floors of Shangri La this morning, so that is pretty exciting as the building moves up and cuts a nice shape on University Avenue. Also the added another fin about 8 inches or so to the right of the first fin, so the cladding now has a dual fin on one side now. Again that looks really interesting. Didnt see that coming.

urbandreamer: Am I in love with the glass.? Not sure, but the more I look at it the more blue it becomes so that I like. wish it was a bit more reflective like Four Seasons, but that blue will look really nice as more of the cladding is installed.

I was done today and spoke with the sales staff at Shangrila at around 2:30 p.m.. The South side has a bit of tint to decrease the amount of sun. Apparently the other sides will be more clear/grey.
They had 5 panels on the South when I was there and this is nice looking glass. Seeing it first hand Cal, I think there is a bit of blue on the South side for sure. Nice glass. I think rivaling the 4S.
If the other sides choice is as good, this will be a striking building when done.

There is a vertical rib along the right side of the right glass panel, but not on the left side of the left panel. I would guess that there is a similar vertical rib shared between each pair of adjacent glass panels, and this rib will be attached to the adjoining panel to be attached on the left. This rib appears to be the same height above the glass as the outer ribs of the structure centered on the concrete post, with the inner ribs extending even further from the glass.

Back