ITS TIME TO GET EXCITED!!!!

by me

sany0213e.jpg

VERY VERY VERY EXCITED!!!!

by me

sany0212h.jpg

nice... the cladding is really working for me. It's sharp and clean lookin! and i like how awesome the podium looks. the way it overlooks the street is gonna be great when the hoarding is removed.

This looks very hopeful. James Cheng is one of the country's greatest architects and Toronto would be richer if we gained more of his work.

saw the shagri-la today from the highway through a gap inbetween condos!(for only a sec) nice to see that its coming into view from farther distances...also for the first time I truly got a sense of how massive this thing will be and what a change it will bring to the skyline, truly spectacular!

Westbank is the premiere developer in Vancouver (Shangrila and Fairmont (Canada's most expensive condo)).

They are looking at another project in Toronto and they want to "get it right" and establish their reputation. They are not cheaping out on anything from what I have seen so far (both outside or inside) (other than perhaps putting in broadloom and charging a fortune to change to hardwood in the bedrooms). That said, it is 60 oz. broadloom and pure wool. They are putting soundproofing on the floors where there is hardwood but just as an example, it is almost $10000(with the taxes and builder fee for architect and builders 10% charge fee) to convert the broadloom in the bedroom and the closet area/hall to hardwood like the rest of the condo in my case and this is for about 220 sq.ft. of floor (but includes the soundproofing on the floor as well)
Won't be doing that. Besides, I like broadloom in the bedroom. Otherwise, not too many upgrade options but I would not expect many given this is already a high end building.
Intriguingly, he charges extra for heated radiant floor heating in the master bathroom (but that said it was $750+HST so not a totally crazy price).

These panels remind me of the ones going in at the Four Seasons. The top section has a kind of dusty green hue to it.

shangn18c.jpg

I've learned not to chime in too early but I can't resist here. The glass panels look really encouraging (read, great!) and I love little details like recessed lighting strips running up the building. Shangri-la, Lumiere, Market Wharf, Four Seasons and maybe Burano are my favorate high-rise projects currently underway in Toronto. It's great to be excited about so many mid-rise and high-rise projects (with several other promising projects yet to come) after so many disappointments in the last 10 years.

Last edited:
They are putting soundproofing on the floors where there is hardwood but just as an example, it is almost $10000(with the taxes and builder fee for architect and builders 10% charge fee) to convert the broadloom in the bedroom and the closet area/hall to hardwood like the rest of the condo in my case and this is for about 220 sq.ft. of floor (but includes the soundproofing on the floor as well).

Aren't all hardwood floors in condos installed with a noise barrier material before they are laid? I know it doesn't eliminate noise transmission but it helps to greatly reduce it as opposed to hardwood/lamenent materials being installed directly onto the concrete.
I remember reading that Shangri-la will also have thicker concrete floorplates, I think it's 11" as opposed to the standard 7" - 8".

Aren't all hardwood floors in condos installed with a noise barrier material before they are laid? I know it doesn't eliminate noise transmission but it helps to greatly reduce it as opposed to hardwood/lamenent materials being installed directly onto the concrete.
I remember reading that Shangri-la will also have thicker concrete floorplates, I think it's 11" as opposed to the standard 7" - 8".

Not really sure dt_toronto: I believe that they may put laminate directly onto concrete in most mid range condos and hardwood directly as well for that matter. Carpet usually they put underpadding. Even if not, there is obviously different quality of subflooring they can do and they specify a few alternatives if people wish to do hardwood after the fact. I believe I read somewhere too that the floors would be thicker on the residential level (but it may have been you who posted that so we may be repeating ourselves).

I recall on one other thread someone commenting (but I can't remember which condo it was) that he had a slight gap in his "floating floor and that there was dust coming up through it". Someone explained that the gap might be to allow for expansion/contraction fo the floor but the dust underneath I believe would indicate that there was not a subfloor, though can't be sure.

Not really sure dt_toronto: I believe that they may put laminate directly onto concrete in most mid range condos and hardwood directly as well for that matter. Carpet usually they put underpadding. Even if not, there is obviously different quality of subflooring they can do and they specify a few alternatives if people wish to do hardwood after the fact. I believe I read somewhere too that the floors would be thicker on the residential level (but it may have been you who posted that so we may be repeating ourselves).

I recall on one other thread someone commenting (but I can't remember which condo it was) that he had a slight gap in his "floating floor and that there was dust coming up through it". Someone explained that the gap might be to allow for expansion/contraction fo the floor but the dust underneath I believe would indicate that there was not a subfloor, though can't be sure.

Yes, that's what I meant to say - floating floors. When I bought my second place it was carpet or hardwood optional. The sales agent gave me the specs on the premium carpet underpad and the material that goes under the hardwood flooring which I know for sure that he said was building code. Either code changed or he wasn't telling me the truth, this was back around '97 or '98.

Anyway, I found the link re: the residential floor slabs being 11" at Shangri-la.

http://www.livingshangri-latoronto.com/documents/specifications.pdf

Scroll down one page and read under "Structual Design" on the right side.

From snooping around condos...I can tell you that they put the laminate straight on the concrete. At least, the buildings I've seen. I thought this was weird, but never gave it much thought. They also put a thin layer of plaster on the ceilings so there's really nothing done about sound/vibration transfer.

If you go on any 3rd party laminate flooring website, they mention that they put down an insulation/padding before laying the laminate. . I wonder if the extra 3 inches of added cement makes much of a difference.

Here's the pad I'm talking about
Acuostic%20Pad%2061.jpg

Not sure how much it helps though

As far as I know, you need to put a vapour barrier between a laminate floor and the concrete - otherwise the moisture will screw up your floor. Most underlays for laminate floors perform a dual function - soundproofing and vapour barrier.

Back