I really don't see why the builders skip floor numbers. Sure, there are superstitious idiots that refuse to buy on those floors, but there are also plenty of people who will. I would prefer to live on such a floor myself, since there would be a slightly higher average IQ on that floor.

Well, if the majority of your clientel is superstitious, you're going to cater to them. I think it's stupid, but I understand it.

Nov 16 2010 update

from last week ~

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5127.jpg

They are currently forming the 17th floor. But because they skipped 13, they are actually forming the 16th level.

thank you Cal,
That is exactly what I meant. They are forming 1/2 the 17th floor since they are not counting a floor 13 if I understand correctly. They are building the 16th level presently.
On a similar note: things seemed to have slowed down but 17 is the last hotel floor and 18 and 19 are somewhat atypical floors, not on the floor plate but because there are mechanicals (presumably from the hotel component). Do you think or know if this is the reason things seemed to have slowed recently.

Boy, tell me there are going to be more than 2 guys doing windows. At that rate, it will take them forever to do the curtain wall.

That said, looks better and better the more we see, at least IMO.

Just curious

That last shot of Shangri-la, with all the new towers west of downtown, has me thinking/.... anyone know how this building boom stacks up versus the rest of N.A.? From '05 to now , the additions are just crazy, got to be Toronto's biggest, and while short of New York in the late 20's, and Dubai/Shaghai now, this has to be fairly amazing for an already built up city, (As opposed to Dubai which went from sand villiage, too MetroDisneyopolis overnite, and looks that way too)
I cant find any good sites to compare activity anymore...Emporis use to let you see U/C towers , but not no more??
A real city has an organic growth rate that relies on demand, where are all these upwardly mobile people coming from??? Immigrants used to take generations to scale the economic ladder, so it cant be just that, :confused:

Actually, I am not certain that the current boom is greater than the 1960s/1970s boom, which also left a huge stock of towers (albeit generally not as tall as the current crop, but there were a LOT of 12-25 floor buildings from that time period, as well as most of the downtown core).

My own guess is that the total floor area, and total number of towers, planned or under construction in Toronto right now is right up there with any other city in the world, although with no truly tall buildings. (400m or more are what is considered tall these days, 300m no longer really cuts it, and 200m is nothing -- there are well over 500 proposed or under construction buildings over 200m in height, worldwide.)

Last edited:
A real city has an organic growth rate that relies on demand, where are all these upwardly mobile people coming from???

Offshore investors, much of them. Canada is considered a very safe and stable country to invest their money in.

yes, but there still have to be bodies to fill the units at some point. Even if they are originally bought by investors and either flipped or rented when the buildings are complete. I doubt that any significant number are pied a terre. I have been asking the same question ever since 2004 when the first CityPlace buildings came on line: where are all the people coming from to fill these buildings? and presumably many of them would need jobs in the downtown core as well... regardless, its been a heck of a ride that looks like it will continue without end.

It says something about Toronto the good, and Canada as a whole...She is respected and honorable, safe and welcoming, forward thinking, and futuristic. How awesome is that.?! Leaders (economic) from around the world feel safe investing in not just these towers, but our policy, our future, our way of doing things. A belief in Canadians in general. I miss her so much....Its something to hang your hats on guys.
Optimistic tomorrows are hard to find in 2010, yet Toronto, in spite of the chaos globally, is shining a way to a real tomorrow. Also the civic leaders who are embracing this density as policy, should be commended. BRAVO!!
You coudnt build Shangri la in Detroit, you need a place you want to live and work, and shop , and drink and eat, and walk, and be entertained by....all the things that make living in TO worth while. To not need a car is only really do able in NY, Chi, TO, and SF, in NA

Actually, I am not certain that the current boom is greater than the 1960s/1970s boom, which also left a huge stock of towers (albeit generally not as tall as the current crop, but there were a LOT of 12-25 floor buildings from that time period, as well as most of the downtown core).

My own guess is that the total floor area, and total number of towers, planned or under construction in Toronto right now is right up there with any other city in the world, although with no truly tall buildings. (400m or more are what is considered tall these days, 300m no longer really cuts it, and 200m is nothing -- there are well over 500 proposed or under construction buildings over 200m in height, worldwide.)

200 metre towers are not nothing. There are only 17 cities on the planet that have more than 10 towers over 200 metres, and as soon as our current crop of towers over 200 metres have topped out, there'll only be 9 cities in the world that have more 200 metre towers than us (though a couple of Chinese cities might soon thereafter leapfrog us).

The crazy thing about this boom is its in a place that already has a stock of comm., and res. towers. Most of these Asian cities went from no skyline to big towers overnite, transplanting sprawling old growth , with our model of western urbanity, and density. In Dubai's case, its' a diversification , due to depletion of it;s resources, sponsored by the crown,... and in China alot of this growth, is spurred by a national pride as China steps onto the world stage, straining to earmark itself against the centuries old western financial leaders. A sort of arms race built in 300m towers, saying we have arrived, hence making there existence somewhat artificial , compared to the slow growth of a western city, that takes years to unfold, in a natural state.
It is relatively easy to triple your skyline when you dont have one. In the case of Pudong Shanghai. entire square miles were leveled,by the government, clearing the way for these national symbols that are built, without the rigorous checks, put in place by private business, and profit margins. What does it matter to Beijing if it takes these towers years to be filled, and profitable??( As long as they are ready for the opening of the summer games???)

.. regardless, its been a heck of a ride that looks like it will continue without end.

Definitely! Toronto's building boom is out of control with pretty well everything that is marketed being leased sold and built..i think it is great and amazing to see Toronto thrive in this global uncertainty.
e5000533.gif

Back