Jan 31

6799706439_ca844d3c17_b.jpg

Wow the west side turned out better than I expected.

Anyone else find the ground-level stretch of Shangri-La along Adelaide a bit of a mish-mash?

I'm only going by photographs, I haven't been down to the site since fall but I'm loving the mix of shapes & Bishop's Block at the street. A refreshing change from the standard podium.

I like it too. Besides, add some restos and cafés and some life to it, it'll look cool. Its a hotel after all. Plus the four seasons center right across. I can see it all lit up, the patrons from the opera going for dinner, people checkin in.

I love the contrast of the old Bishop's Block with the modern glass and steel cladding. Mm mm mm.

I'm only going by photographs, I haven't been down to the site since fall but I'm loving the mix of shapes & Bishop's Block at the street. A refreshing change from the standard podium.

I love the contrast of the old Bishop's Block with the modern glass and steel cladding. Mm mm mm.

I have absolutely nothing against mixing old and new. The trouble with the execution in this instance are the materials used on the podium, their placement and their relative equal sizing. Bishop's Block feels a little like an afterthought on Adelaide. Otherwise, the Simcoe portion stands out quite nicely.

I'll admit that I do prefer Vancouver's ShangerLa, but ours is still pretty fine. I have it as tied with FS for best new prominent skyscraper thus far of the current construction boom. Let's see if Aura or One Bloor (or maybe even a dark horse like Ten York, or an upcoming project in the pipeline...ie. Massey Tower?) can challenge this claim in a few yaers.

Back