Come to think of it - the podium reminds me of the Fairmont Pacific Rim podium (same developer, same architect), but in SLTO's case, the elevated glass cube is a public space (restaurant), rather than a private suite, and the Fairmont's is a bit beefier (maybe more conference facilities).
Fairmont Pacific Rim was built after SLV and its design may have influenced the SLTO design (or vice versa).

fairmont2_676823gm-e.jpg

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/00676/fairmont2_676823gm-e.jpg

FairmontPR-nw.jpg

http://buildipedia.com/in-studio/fe...c-art-or-hotel-vancouver-fairmont-pacific-rim

Last edited:
Gee, what a clutter..sooner or later there should be something done about this infrastructure mess.
Anyways, Shangri-La is nice looking

Gee, what a clutter..sooner or later there should be something done about this infrastructure mess.
Anyways, Shangri-La is nice looking

Lol!!! It's funny, I looked at the same picture this morning and I said it looks so cool. Wires, cars, people, buildings, traffic.....busy....big city....cool!!!
But then again it's all in the eye that's looking at it...some will like it and some will not....

You'd be able to see the buildings on the street better if it weren't for all those overhead wires...

4 Feb 2012

Vancouver doesn't have this tho...

053uns.jpg

God, that looks dreadful!

I had a friend visit from California about a year ago and she told her friends in Cali, (but never mentioned it to me) that all her pictures were ruined by the ugly, over-head wires in Toronto. Now I see what she meant.

Last edited:
Really? Yet another mention of overhead wires?

At the end of the day, that's her prerogative. If the wires are there in real life, then of course they should be in her photos. Not sure how it "ruined" her photos if it was an accurate representation of the city. Boo-hoo.

I think the postering, rusting out poles and above-ground wiring look like shit. The only above ground wiring should be for street cars.

Boo-hoo if anyone thinks otherwise.

Yeah, I find the people who are so offended by the overhead wires think rows of safe, bland suburban housing, or the soulless stretches of new condos on Lake Shore are beautiful. What I see in that photo is texture, layers of history, and a "real" city feel. Perfectly manicured districts are nice (Bloor, Rosedale, etc.) but there's a certain beauty to the gritty urban stretches too. Keep the wooden poles and visual clutter.

Yeah, I find the people who are so offended by the overhead wires think rows of safe, bland suburban housing, or the soulless stretches of new condos on Lake Shore are beautiful. What I see in that photo is texture, layers of history, and a "real" city feel. Perfectly manicured districts are nice (Bloor, Rosedale, etc.) but there's a certain beauty to the gritty urban stretches too. Keep the wooden poles and visual clutter.

ah christ, now you've done it

I agree with you!! You really get the unique "big city" feel with the wires and such. And the nice thing about Toronto: We have perfectly manicured Bloor street along with the character shown in the photo.

I think the postering, rusting out poles and above-ground wiring look like shit. The only above ground wiring should be for street cars.

Boo-hoo if anyone thinks otherwise.

Some of the ugliest wiring in the city is because of street cars; especially at intersections.

Some of the ugliest wiring in the city is because of street cars; especially at intersections.

"I agree with you!! You really get the unique "big city" feel with the wires and such. And the nice thing about Toronto: We have perfectly manicured Bloor street along with the character shown in the photo."

I don't understand that. Most, if not all big cities, other than Toronto, have buried their wires.

Either way, it's something that whining about constantly on UrbanToronto won't change, so why don't we stick to discussing the actual thread topic?

Back