in these west-east views I find it a bit unfortunate that SL and BAC have such similarly coloured glass. They tend to blend together rather than contrast and stand apart because of this...

It's kinda funny, but in that last picture Trump is completely blocked except for its spire, which looks much more natural centred on the mechanical box of Shangri-la than it does tacked onto the corner of Trump.

Recent photos:

20 Dec 11
DSCF1012.jpg

31 Jan 12
DSC_0426.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

03 Feb 12
DSC_0410.jpg

It's an odd building. Some angles I think it's really subtle and interesting. The architecture really communicates. At other angles, it literally looks like a big tall glass thing that needs character. It really has to be done for me to make a final judgment.

Yeah, I find the people who are so offended by the overhead wires think rows of safe, bland suburban housing, or the soulless stretches of new condos on Lake Shore are beautiful. What I see in that photo is texture, layers of history, and a "real" city feel. Perfectly manicured districts are nice (Bloor, Rosedale, etc.) but there's a certain beauty to the gritty urban stretches too. Keep the wooden poles and visual clutter.

Those who feel that overhead wires and hydro poles make a city more urban are the same who find body odour and bleeding gums attractive. Toronto needs to floss, quite simply.

Yep, some people wax eloquent about the pops and hisses on vinyl records and the scratches on celluloid film.

Anyways, back to the topic - one thing Vancouver does consistent better is landscaping, and as I recall the bamboo garden at VSL is quite nice. Wonder if there are similar plans for Toronto? Plus what of the public art piece?

AoD

Plus what of the public art piece?
AoD

Link to the initial selection process:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-11774.pdf

And the winner is.... as per the Westbank site...

THE ART OF DEVELOPMENT

Westbank Development and the Peterson Group operate on the premise of “go big.†They have proven themselves visionaries on the development side but increasingly, their keen eyes are turning to art. Their growing portfolio of Canada’s landmark buildings, including Living Shangri-la, Vancouver and Woodward’s, are putting art front and centre for public viewing.

Living Shangri-la, Toronto may prove to be their masterpiece.

With the opening of the 66-storey glass structure at University and Adelaide, Westbank–Peterson will unveil one of Toronto’s, if not Canada’s, most-compelling public art pieces. For residents of Living Shangri-la, Toronto, it will be a point of pride and another defining hallmark of the vibrant tower that will be an icon on Toronto’s skyline.

After an extensive global search conducted with the Art Gallery of Ontario serving as adviser, the selection committee unanimously chose Zhang Huan – one of today’s leading contemporary artists. Captivated by the artist’s unbridled imagination, the committee felt that Huan brought a dynamic and startling creative vision to the project. While his early sculptural proposal depicted a flock of fluttering birds taking flight, he subsequently developed his motif into a series of winged birds surrounding the Shangri-la tower, appearing to animate and activate the entire façade. Each meticulously fabricated bird becomes an emblem of transcendence reaching skyward. Following a visit to Toronto in 2009 and numerous discussions held in his Shanghai studio, Huan expanded his concept to include linear motifs within the main entrance spaces on Shangri-la that further extend his visual and poetic idea. This work of art will become an intrinsic part of the way people experience the architecture of Shangri-la.

The lobby photo of Shangri-la Hotel, Toronto hints at the Zhang Huan work to come, but as with all things Zhang Huan, the work will only be revealed when complete.

Like public art, each component of Shangri-la has been meticulously shaped to serve residents and guests.

Will be interesting to see what this art will actually look like. I just hope that it isn't like the image that I have in mind from that description above, it would not be good.

Another look, the not so twinned towers:
DSC_0422.jpg

07 Feb 12

Back