Looks like some sort of archealogical dig.

Can anyone translate that gang graffiti? Is Shangri-La sparking a turf war?

So what if it delays it a few months? If you need your fix of excavation sites there are lots of others in the city. This short delay likely means someone else's hole gets attention sooner. No biggie.

So what if it delays it a few months? If you need your fix of excavation sites there are lots of others in the city. This short delay likely means someone else's hole gets attention sooner. No biggie.

No big deal, but still it would have been better if they could have left it standing, and proceeded with excavation. And according to the city document above, that's what the Heritage Department would have preferred also.

"Holes"? "no Biggies"?

I think a little moderation from the moderator is in order. (blush)

Believe me 3D, I'm already exercising with restraints - I mean exercising restraint. Oh I just don't know anymore...

Shangri-La steps into a 19th-century footprint

SUSAN GRIMBLY

September 22, 2007

As the city's condo boom continues apace, so does discovery of Toronto's underpinnings.

Construction began this spring on a super-luxury 65-storey tower at the corner of University and Adelaide.

Before one can build, of course, one has to dig a hole in the ground. And an archaeological dig is mandated by the city's Planning Act, if there is reasonable cause to think there might be something interesting to find down below the modern world.

What Ron Williamson, chief archeologist of Architectural Services Inc., discovered in July, when his team began investigating the site in depth, was a "remarkable signature of early Toronto's development."
Print Edition - Section Front

Section M Front Enlarge Image
The Globe and Mail

You could call John Bishop, a butcher, one of Canada's early developers. He built five Georgian houses for Toronto's elite at this site in the early 1800s. These, the first brick residences in Toronto, were known as Bishop's Block. One of the owners was attorney-general Robert Jameson.

His wife was Anna Brownell Jameson, author of Winter Studies and Summer Rambles in Canada (a 19th-century Canadian travel book), who sailed from London, England, to join her husband in Upper Canada in 1836.

What Mr. Williamson and his team are looking at most closely is the back lots, where the owners had their water features: the cisterns and privies.

The exciting thing is that the artifacts they are uncovering are intact. "It's just so rare," says Mr. Williamson.

Among the relics are things like five complete coconuts, many pieces of a child's tea set whose pot is "a mere few centimetres big," and pieces of a wood domino set covered in deer-antler veneer.

Sad story, though. The excavation will likely continue to mid-October. And after it's all been revealed, photographed, and the artifacts removed, the site will be bulldozed to make way for (scriptwriters couldn't improve on this) a parking lot for the Living Shangri-La Toronto five-star hotel-condominium. Perhaps Mr. Bishop - a developer, after all - would approve.

Sad story, though. The excavation will likely continue to mid-October. And after it's all been revealed, photographed, and the artifacts removed, the site will be bulldozed to make way for (scriptwriters couldn't improve on this) a parking lot for the Living Shangri-La Toronto five-star hotel-condominium. Perhaps Mr. Bishop - a developer, after all - would approve.

How big will this parking lot be?

Back