Poor writing. There will be no surface lot other than a driveway for the building. There will be an underground garage, and that's likely what is meant by "lot".

These, the first brick residences in Toronto, were known as Bishop's Block.

I would take any information in this article with a grain of salt. Bishop's Block (c. 1829) was by no means the "first brick residences" in Toronto. The Grange dates from 1817 and, I'm pretty sure there were brick dwellings here (none surviving) before then.

I can confirm digging at the site, but I thought it was related to the bishop block, not for excavation of the tower site.

Well it's not excavation for the tower. Just for finding artifacts and what not. I guess the real excavation for the tower itself will start in October?

How much digging is there? How deep?

The first brick house in Toronto belonged to Louis Quetton de St. George, who built in in 1807 after failing to build a Francophone settlement in Richmond Hill and, for his efforts, would later have a subway station named after him.

Picture for the visually minded.

IMG_2143.jpg

200 years, eh?

The first brick house in Toronto belonged to Louis Quetton de St. George, who built in in 1807 after failing to build a Francophone settlement in Richmond Hill and, for his efforts, would later have a subway station named after him.

That must have been when Richmond Hill was still Mount Pleasant, no?

That, or Miles' Mills, the first such name.

Poor Duke of Richmond. He comes to Canada, travels to towns who chose to name their settlements after him, and dies of rabies on his way to Richmond, in Eastern Ontario.

Moral of story: Don't be in too much a rush to get a place named after you.

Other moral of story: Foxes (especially rabid foxes) don't make good pets.

Anyway, back on topic, that is a neat pic. Thanks.

Originally Posted by AndreaPalladio

I believe there was nothing there at all, at the time. (1800ish) Evidently, the francophone colony didn't stick; as I recall, they were mostly royalists who decamped to England when royalism went decidedly out of vogue in France. Quetton took the St. George name in gratitude for the welcome he received. The whole lot were eventually sent here, and after the colony foundered, they dispersed. St. George ended up a successful merchant in York, befriending the Baldwins, who named the streets in the area, and saw to it that his name lingered long after he beetled back to France.

Thanks for the pic Caltrane.

I spent some time last even staring through that fence and into that excavation, and it struck me that the last time I was doing a similar thing I was staring at the ruins in Largo Argentina in Rome.

Now I'm not saying that there is the same cultural importance attached to these stone foundations on Adelaide...

exactly, but there might be something to looking to see if similar foundations still exist for Ontario's first parliament east of the core on Front. Was that car dealership moved, or is it sitting on top of them? If the site was saved, I say look for the old foundations, stabilize them, then set up a park around them and let people see where we started.

I guess they're done with excavation now! So that means a crane should hopefully be up for this one by the end of the year?

Back