Don't really know enough about the Dundas project..but this gives a rough idea...

original image by androiduk
jhC5h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree - a lot of the hotel and furnishings look dated, and not in a great way.

For a 5-star hotel I wasn't impressed.

I don't agree at all, I was impressed by the decor. It's simple and not over-the-top like Trump or cheap like Ritz.

I don't agree at all, I was impressed by the decor. It's simple and not over-the-top like Trump or cheap like Ritz.

I like it too.
Furthermore, I would suggest that simple while it may not appeal to everyone will probably not look dated but rather "timeless".
Rather it is the very marked statements that one tires of. I think the Ritz will still look OK in 5 years...I don't think it looks cheap personally though I prefer the SL but that is personal. Not so much the furnishings but the way they are spaced out and the size of the lobby and it being brighter.
Trump is over the top and I think within 5 years there is a strong chance that people will say that was in style for 3-5 years or so in 2012. Similar to shag carpet which dated; the 70's disco with mirrored furniture/ceilings...etc.

nice view..but it will be more stunning if camera man took a photo to north toward trump hotel and bay and adelaide centre

Exactly, i found it elegant but simple. had they gone with over the top opulence, people would be calling it tacky.

I liked the Zhang Huan suite because it has artwork inside by the Shanghai artist including a bird sculpture on the ceiling by the window in the bedroom. The bathroom is in the northeast corner of the building looking up University Avenue towards Queens Park. The bathtub is in the NE corner and it has a great view on two sides.

Last edited:
That's a nice view up University now. It'll be even nicer if they ever get that damn fountain working... come to think of it, I think it has taken less time to build Shangri-La. Not that the fountain is anywhere near finished.

That's a nice view up University now. It'll be even nicer if they ever get that damn fountain working... come to think of it, I think it has taken less time to build Shangri-La. Not that the fountain is anywhere near finished.

Hey, the city needs to do an assessment of the land surrounding the fountain. We need to know what impacts the restoration will have on pedestrians and the environment.

Hey, the city needs to do an assessment of the land surrounding the fountain. We need to know what impacts the restoration will have on pedestrians and the environment.

It will be positive. Add LED lighting feature when repairs are finished. Assessment complete.

The photos of Shangri-la are spectacular, as expected.

Back