Have you been there ? :D

I'm not one to lay down such hard criticism without first hand knowledge.

And I say that only because pictures don't do it justice ... you really need to walk the streets to know what I mean.

Unfortunately yes... about 15 times in the last 2 years. I have a lot of family down there.
It's depressingly suburban even downtown...

Unfortunately yes... about 15 times in the last 2 years. I have a lot of family down there.
It's depressingly suburban even downtown...

Soooo clean though - people always think I'm exaggerating when I say MCC has more pedestrian activity - but I'm not! Less special events or what not of course.

Sorry, back on topic:

Anyone know if there's going to be any lighting feature on these blank walls at the top of the tower - I really hope so, it's in a very prominent location.

Soooo clean though - people always think I'm exaggerating when I say MCC has more pedestrian activity - but I'm not! Less special events or what not of course.

Sorry, back on topic:

Anyone know if there's going to be any lighting feature on these blank walls at the top of the tower - I really hope so, it's in a very prominent location.

LOL :) well it's easy to keep clean if there's no one around eh?!

I suspect they will be lit internally? we're getting a lot of "lanterns" with the current crop of condos... not sure if that's a good thing. I would have preferred some variety to the lighting.

One more thing ... Toronto will never look perfect from the lake - we really are a N/S city - you need a postcard from there to really appreciate us.

Wha? Are you kidding? I always thought the view of Toronto from the lake/islands to be one of the most impressive and instantly recognizeable skylines in the world... not to mention hot!

Wha? Are you kidding? I always thought the view of Toronto from the lake/islands to be one of the most impressive and instantly recognizable skylines in the world... not to mention hot!

Recognizable ? Sure ... we can thank post cards for that.

Most impressive ? Nah ... I like water as much as the next fellow but that doesn't cut it for me - if you've looked at any old picture of Toronto from the islands we come off looking pretty small - the CN Tower doesn't help with that.

It's a lot better now - but how could you not think east /west views are immensely better ... particularly a one that really lets you see everything!

Not to mention that the view from the lake is very CityPlace-heavy. It's not exactly a showcase of our architectural diversity.

Now that these towers have their roof elements going up, I am actually in love with the project. The tops really tie the whole thing together.

It's a massive project but it's been worth the wait. It's not architecturally incredible but it was a fairly logical step from typical Toronto point towers.

Now that these towers have their roof elements going up, I am actually in love with the project. The tops really tie the whole thing together.

It's a massive project but it's been worth the wait. It's not architecturally incredible but it was a fairly logical step from typical Toronto point towers.

hmm ...

I think they're "fine" - I'm not seeing the big change from most condos that have been going up for the past while now ? Yea the quality might e a little bit better. You're simply referring to the odd shaped box on the top of the buildings?

No-- I mean it's a logical evolution (if not a striking one, architecturally) that the building is almost like a typical point tower-- but instead of a dinky podium it has a big massive building underneath the towers. Even ICE across the street is foregoing that opportunity. Most developers wouldn't have approached this open, undeveloped site with plans for a big podium with towers above. That IS a huge change from condos up till now in this boom-- if you've been down there, you will know the massive impact a huge podium like this has. It's nothing like standing next to a CityPlace tower or even Infinity nearby.

There is nothing special about the roof features, I simply like how they tie the project together.

No-- I mean it's a logical evolution (if not a striking one, architecturally) that the building is almost like a typical point tower-- but instead of a dinky podium it has a big massive building underneath the towers. Even ICE across the street is foregoing that opportunity. Most developers wouldn't have approached this open, undeveloped site with plans for a big podium with towers above. That IS a huge change from condos up till now in this boom-- if you've been down there, you will know the massive impact a huge podium like this has. It's nothing like standing next to a CityPlace tower or even Infinity nearby.

There is nothing special about the roof features, I simply like how they tie the project together.

Gotcha, alright, I'm in agreement now :)

It's a mixed use complex with offices, a hotel, stores, bars, etc. - how else would they have assembled that program without a hefty podium? Not to mention that the Gardiner presents its own set of challenges, all of which the podium addresses. Comparisons to the Cityplace towers and Infinity are not apt since they have different programs and requirements. I'm not sure how this could have worked out another way.

It's the program that's so impressive, and such a departure for us. That's the problem with CityPlace, not so much the tiny podiums as the weak mix of uses.

Yes it is the overall on this project which is what makes it so hardcore..... we have never seen a condo project of this scale before in toronto... very large..menacing street presenence...mixed use and tall as all hell.

we have never seen a condo project of this scale before in toronto... very large..menacing street presenence...mixed use and tall as all hell.

Manulife is one. Empress Square in North York is another.

Back