I think the Mississauga Transitway is, was and always will be more underused and unproven than Sheppard. Sheppard at least had a bus before. The Mississauga Transitway does NOT have a built-in ridership, it's a completely new route with completely new stations. There was nothing there before. It's a little premature to judge it though.

I think the Mississauga Transitway is, was and always will be more underused and unproven than Sheppard. Sheppard at least had a bus before. The Mississauga Transitway does NOT have a built-in ridership, it's a completely new route with completely new stations. There was nothing there before. It's a little premature to judge it though.
And, given that, building BRT (as opposed to something more expensive) was a good choice!

The transitway did in fact have a bus before, albeit running on nearby parallel streets (on Rathburn for most of the route that corresponds to phase one, then up Tomken and onto Eastgate for the balance). There were no equivalent stops to Central Parkway and Cawthra. And up until recently, both 107 and 109 weren't even full-day-long routes, and are only recently 6 day a week, still aiming for 7.

I agree, though, it's not really a fair comparison, because the first phase corresponds to the portion of the overall route where there's the biggest displacement between the old and new corridors, and it also corresponds to the portion where there is probably always going to be the fewest boardings and alightings. As subsequent phases come online, there will be smaller shifts in bus stop locations, and those stops will have a lot more employment in walking distance.

For at least its first two decades of life, and probably for far longer, MiWay buses will use the transitway as a line-haul route, primarily moving people back and forth between MCC, the employment clusters at Eastgate&Eg and Airport Corporate Centre, and destinations off the far end (B-D subway, airport, Malton). The intermediate stops like Tomken and Cawthra were always bound to be mini-Bessarions, but the comparison ends there because:
(1) they didn't cost $100 million a pop,
(2) the overall asset cost far less, both in terms of up-front capital and ongoing lifecycle
(3) this is actually a *phased* rollout, and the rest of the line is genuinely coming. Try as some folks might, you can't just call the existing Sheppard subway "phase one"; it's a finished product, for better or for worse.

(Off-topic-aside: Guys, it's been ten years, how many more decades of whingeing from certain quarters do we have to brace ourselves for about how a billion dollar stubway would be bursting to the gills with traffic if only those snooty pinkos could find it in their hearts to spend $4 billion extending it east and west. Yes, we know, we know, every single York University student works a shift between classes at the Taco Time in Scarborough Town Centre. And, yes, we know, count all those lanes on the 401. And yes, we know, everyone coming down Yonge from York Region and getting on at Finch would like nothing more than to ride two stops, transfer over to the Spadina line, and head downtown because, you know, relief.)

Nothing like a politician questioning ridership early on in a transit line's life and before it is even finished

carolyn parrish
‏@carolynhparrish
Passed 3 stations for 403 Busway twice yesterday. Not a soul seen in 3 glass terminals. One parked car at one lot. Will ask about ridership.
What's ironic, is this is the same councillor who thinks they should be building a subway instead or the Hurontario LRT.

Saying no to transit, because the demand is pathetically low is one thing. But pushing subway when demand is lower than Sheppard, and then complaining the transitway is unused is just pathetic.

The BRT and LRT/subway up Hurontario are two very different scenarios. I'm unsure of the need for the BRT but a connection on/under Hurontario would be heavily used as it is THE single most used bus route in Mississauga.

The BRT and LRT/subway up Hurontario are two very different scenarios. I'm unsure of the need for the BRT but a connection on/under Hurontario would be heavily used as it is THE single most used bus route in Mississauga.
Parrish isn't proposing that the LRT up Hurontario be replaced by subway up Hurontario. She's suggesting the LRT up Hurontario be replaced with an east-west subway that not only parallels the Transitway, further south, but has the same two termini as some of the Transitway services!

She's clearly off her rocker.

And she's saying the same incoherent thing that politicians around Scarborough are saying: Our place demands respect and deserves a subway. So please cancel any transit project that would help people get around our place more easily, and instead build something more expensive that would help us get out of here as fast as possible.

And she's saying the same incoherent thing that politicians around Scarborough are saying: Our place demands respect and deserves a subway. So please cancel any transit project that would help people get around our place more easily, and instead build something more expensive that would help us get out of here as fast as possible.

Many people are commuting out of Scarborough for jobs in other parts of Toronto anyway. Not building the subway will not create an incentive for them to work in Scarborough.

The utility of the LRT line that the subway replaces to get around Scarborough is questionable, too. Half of it would run in a rail corridor, surrounded by low-density areas.

On the contrary, Hurontario LRT will run through the most dense corridor in Mississauga. One can debate the best subway / SmartTrack / RER connection between Mississauga and Toronto, but in any case, Hurontario LRT is a vital project and should be built first.

The situations in Mississauga and Scarborough are not even close to being similar.

It's really, really early to be judging the Transitway. However, the idea of building it in a highway ROW has always been questionable.

When I used the transitway, I found that the average speed (40km/h) was faster than any of Toronto's subways. Not sure why everyone in the GTA is so obsessed with subways when there are many other modes of transit that can be more efficient and faster.

It's hard to judge the bus rapid transitway until it is fully completed. I don't see anyone really using it until it is built all the way to Renforth and connects to the TTC at Kipling/Islington.

It's hard to judge the bus rapid transitway until it is fully completed. I don't see anyone really using it until it is built all the way to Renforth and connects to the TTC at Kipling/Islington.

Uh, Mississauga has been running the 109 to Islington Station for years now. The 109 is one of the routes that have transitionned to using the Transitway.

It's the *stations* that aren't busy, not the routes.

I find a lot more people are transfering between the 5 and 51 to/from the 107/109 than before the transitway opened. Despite the increase in service during rush hours, I've noticed that the 107 and 109 still have pretty heavy loads (standing loads) in their peak direction during rush hours.

Today I was at Dixie Station in the PM rush for a while, not too many people using the EB platform, but quite a few boarding and exiting buses on the WB platform. When I decided to head back towards Square One around 5:30, 7 of us got on a 109 with a full seated load, 8 on, 2 off at Tomken. Nothing at Cawthra and 3 off, 1 on at Kennedy. At Square One there was about 30 of us that got off, 20 got on.

The boardings at Stations may be quite low right now, however, I would say that the opening of the first phase has helped increase ridership on the 107 and the 109 as a whole.

Contractors have mobilized between Commerce and Renforth. Doing fencing and some site clearing.

There are also now signs up for the Renforth Mobility Hub.

Erin Mills Station:
jnhSLqd.jpg

Few more blurry pics from the highway:
w79jQaB.jpg

RBAciZs.jpg

sdxGTpG.jpg

Back