Why? It is a rapid transit corridor and will be a hell of a lot faster than any of the TC lines, Eglinton included. That speed will be even more enhanced due to fewer transfers as the buses merge off the Transitway onto your local route.

What will be really stupid is when GO buses start using it. Buses on GO to Toronto thru Miss will use the exact same corridor, same stations, same speed, same everything except the GO fare will cost more and won't be interchangeable for the sole reason that GO buses are painted green.

What will be really stupid is when GO buses start using it. Buses on GO to Toronto thru Miss will use the exact same corridor, same stations, same speed, same everything except the GO fare will cost more and won't be interchangeable for the sole reason that GO buses are painted green.
I would assume that GO buses - for example the Square One to Union service, won't be stopping at every MiWay stop. Perhaps simply Square One and Renforth?

I would assume that GO buses - for example the Square One to Union service, won't be stopping at every MiWay stop. Perhaps simply Square One and Renforth?

Have never ridden the GO Union-Sq1 but have regularly ridden the GO Union - Brampton and you can stop them at local municipal stops....not sure why that would be different on the transitway.

Have never ridden the GO Union-Sq1 but have regularly ridden the GO Union - Brampton and you can stop them at local municipal stops....not sure why that would be different on the transitway.
On the transitway one would have option of using a frequent local service from one end or another. There's no need to stop the express bus at every local stop, particularly if demand at those particular stops was low. If there was a particular consistently busy stop, then by all means stop. But it's pretty clear from the video that there's very little local demand from these stops constructed so far, which don't seem to have much walk in demand.

On the transitway one would have option of using a frequent local service from one end or another. There's no need to stop the express bus at every local stop, particularly if demand at those particular stops was low. If there was a particular consistently busy stop, then by all means stop. But it's pretty clear from the video that there's very little local demand from these stops constructed so far, which don't seem to have much walk in demand.

I could see a situation where, unlike the MiWay buses, the GO buses did not automatically stop at every stop but instead were stop on demand

Where's this been announced? What GO routes are we talking about?

This page,
http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/mississauga_brt.aspx
Seems to imply that there will only be 3 additional stops for GO buses:
Winston Churchill GO Bus Station, Erin Mills GO Bus Station and Renforth Gatway.

It seems if you want to go to Dixie, you'll need to switch to MiWay at Square One or Renforth.

It seems if you want to go to Dixie, you'll need to switch to MiWay at Square One or Renforth.
Unrelated but an interesting aside:
Looking at Google Satellite View -- I noticed a small future SmartTrack/GO RER (Same thing) extension easily makes Dixie and Square One GO. It's only the distance of 2-3 stops to extend SmartTrack/GO RER to Mississauga Square One. That's shorter than the distance between GO Weston and Airport Corporate (the length of the Eglington SmartTrack/GO RER spur). So within 10-15 years, the problem may solve itself -- the ability to go to Dixie from Square One, via a GO service (Albiet not a bus...). Mississauga downtown could get a "subway" extension for less than the cost of the Scarborough subway.

Unrelated but an interesting aside:
Looking at Google Satellite View -- I noticed a small future SmartTrack/GO RER (Same thing) extension easily makes Dixie and Square One GO. It's only the distance of 2-3 stops to extend SmartTrack/GO RER to Mississauga Square One. That's shorter than the distance between GO Weston and Airport Corporate (the length of the Eglington SmartTrack/GO RER spur). So within 10-15 years, the problem may solve itself -- the ability to go to Dixie from Square One, via a GO service (Albiet not a bus...). Mississauga downtown could get a "subway" extension for less than the cost of the Scarborough subway.

I'm assuming you're talking about a tunneled spur from the Milton line?

Seems to imply that there will only be 3 additional stops for GO buses:
Winston Churchill GO Bus Station, Erin Mills GO Bus Station and Renforth Gatway.

There were maps passed around of possible GO Transit routes along the transitway back before they started construction. I believe the maps are still available online on the City's transitway page.

GO Transit buses will serve Winston Churchill, Erin Mills, Square One, Dixie, Renforth and Kipling.

Last edited:
There were maps passed around of possible GO Transit routes along the transitway back before they started construction. I believe the maps are still available online on the City's transitway page.

GO Transit buses will serve Winston Churchill, Erin Mills, Square One, Dixie, Renforth and Kipling.
Those station is what the GO Boys said at the official opening of the Transitway in Nov as well before construction started on it. A few new GO routes will be roll out, as well some route changes when GO start using the Transitway in late 2016 or early 2017. Kipling is still down the road come 2019/20.

Those station is what the GO Boys said at the official opening of the Transitway in Nov as well before construction started on it. A few new GO routes will be roll out, as well some route changes when GO start using the Transitway in late 2016 or early 2017. Kipling is still down the road come 2019/20.
Thanks for the clarification.
I happened to pick as my example the one extra station that actually will be served by GO.
It looks like GO will be running a decent version of an express service on the corridor.

I'm assuming you're talking about a tunneled spur from the Milton line?
No. On Google Maps (not a flattened Beck-style/London Underground map), SmartTrack actually already "points" towards Square One only 7-8km away.

A future extension to SmartTrack (SmarTrack is GO RER) theoretically includes Mississauga Square One. Consider SmartTrack goes along Eglington Ave and that Square One is just slightly south of Eglington. It would be just about 2-3 stops west of Airport Corporate Centre. Obviously, this section would need to be tunnelled to reach there. The distance between Airport Corporate and Square One is roughly the same length as the Scarborough Subway Extension (7.6km). I wondered if Tory actually "thought ahead" on that one; it's literally only one future SmartTrack extension away. Extend a little further (~4km) it could then interchange with the GO Milton line (future GO RER Milton) perhaps at Eglington or Erindale. Along the theoretical route, is an obvious Dixie or Tomken stop, too.

Last edited:
Nothing like a politician questioning ridership early on in a transit line's life and before it is even finished

carolyn parrish
‏@carolynhparrish
Passed 3 stations for 403 Busway twice yesterday. Not a soul seen in 3 glass terminals. One parked car at one lot. Will ask about ridership.

Nothing like a politician questioning ridership early on in a transit line's life and before it is even finished

carolyn parrish
‏@carolynhparrish
Passed 3 stations for 403 Busway twice yesterday. Not a soul seen in 3 glass terminals. One parked car at one lot. Will ask about ridership.

Many politicians question ridership on the unfinished Sheppard Subway.

Back