News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Faith Goldy.

Tory will get at least 60% in my estimation.
There's an interesting balance between the three, whether this continues or not remains to be seen, unforeseen factors may/will throw this off, but as it stands for now, a lot of Keesmaat's support will be due to Tory's misfortune dealing with Ford. That being said, I can't see Ford not facing a reckoning, his actions are so wild and unpredictable, even to his own party. And as Ford fizzles, Tory sizzles. And that may snatch votes back from Keesmaat.

It's still too early to predict probable trends, but Ford is grasping at straws, that part is clear.

Faith Goldy.

Tory will get at least 60% in my estimation.

I think Goldy could get 8-10% of the vote. And I agree that Tory will still likely win with 50-60% of the vote, with Keesmaat getting a solid 30%. That's nothing to scoff at. If she doesn't gain votes at the expense of Tory, at least her role will be to energize younger, more progressive voters who might otherwise sit out the election, and actually make the debates interesting.

But you never know. Tory's a weak candidate -- he won because Chow was weaker and very cautious and not able to sustain the interest of some people who would otherwise support her and her platform (like me) and there was a fear of Doug Ford. Are Tory supporters motivated voters?

People are aware that a large part of their rent goes towards property tax right?
Rent control prevents raises to rent above the guidelines. So in the case of property tax increases, it's not like rent would go up anymore than they are already. Increased property tax is not a valid reason to seek an above what is allowed increase set by the tenant board.

Rent control prevents raises to rent above the guidelines. So in the case of property tax increases, it's not like rent would go up anymore than they are already. Increased property tax is not a valid reason to seek an above what is allowed increase set by the tenant board.
In gist, you are correct, but application can be made for an increase above the 1.8% pa allowed by law. The building I'm in has done that...except it turns out that's because the assessment value of the building increased. So the owners were trying to get tenants to pay for their capital gain!

Some owners have gotten away with it at the Landlord and Tenant Tribunal, but some haven't when challenged, and this owner is being challenged on that, and blocking tenants from organizing meetings. I'm involved in the legal challenge.

Just check with Nick K...

Jennifer Pagliaro‏Verified account@jpags
I asked Tory, as per his own campaign statement yesterday, what ideas or positions put forward by @gordperks, @m_layton, @joe_cressy etc. he finds "radical." Tory refused to answer that at what he defined as a "government" press conference and said we could take it up later.
What catches my eye is the Elliot retweet:
  1. 3 replies .18 retweets62 likes
Matt Elliott‏Verified account@GraphicMatt
From the Aug 2, 2018 Hansard: Doug Ford says he was never consulted on how many councillors Toronto should have. From Mar 31, 2015 consultant report: 44 members of council from 2010-2014 term were individually interviewed about this. Doug Ford served on council from 2010-2014

upload_2018-8-3_11-12-54.png
https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/1025393854386593792

Time to start a list of lies, like is done for Trump, for Ford, and publish them daily. And Ford's supporters had best decide whether Ford is just a pathetically pathological liar, and not responsible for his actions due to impaired mental capacity, or just an outright two faced liar fully culpable for his actions.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-3_11-12-54.png
    upload_2018-8-3_11-12-54.png
    236.6 KB · Views: 513
From the GuelphToday on-line news media (and Guelph voted overwhelmingly Green)
You probably don't want to talk about Toronto, but maybe we should
This week's Market Squared points out that if Doug Ford wanted to make this municipal election about governance, he probably did it in the worst way possible

about an hour ago by: Adam A. Donaldson

[...]
Meanwhile, in considering the changes to Toronto council, one can’t help but remember that Ford lost the mayoral race in 2014 to John Tory, and before Brown’s ouster, Ford was game for a re-match.

At his remarks last Friday, Ford said that reducing the number of councillors by nearly half will “dramatically improve the decision-making process," which is a curious comment coming from someone that missed 30 per cent of the votes during their one and only term on council.

In 2014, Ford actually missed 53 per cent of the votes.

One would think that that someone concerned about the “waste and mismanagement in government” would show up for every vote. One would think that if creating efficiency in council was such a priority, then Ford wouldn’t have thrown in the towel after one term. Until his brother’s illness, Doug Ford was quite content to leave the governing business to his younger brother.

So where’s the fire? Where’s the consideration?

Keep in mind that this is the same Premier that wants to do the “largest consultation ever in Ontario’s history” for the sex ed curriculum. Why must Doug Ford talk to everyone in the province, seemingly, before he decides its okay if a six-year-old knows that a penis is called a “penis”, but changing the government of Ontario’s largest city is just another one of those things you announce on a Friday morning?

Having said all of that, the government, and how it’s presently structured, isn’t sacrosanct. The Municipal Act, or the City of Toronto Act for that matter, did not come down from the mountain etched on stone tablets by God himself.

Even Guelph councillors, I think, would not mind the opportunity to explore if the current way our cities our governed is the best way.

In our city, we’ve got 12 part-time councillors, and then the council of the County of Wellington each controlling certain segments of our daily needs. And on top of that, there’s provincial oversight on some sectors, federal jurisdiction over others.

Ford could be correct, we might have too much government, and something more streamlined might provide welcome and practical reform, but how can we trust that the Premier has practical needs in mind when his announcement so clearly targets his political adversaries?

It’s worth noting too that this comes from the man who thought a monorail and 1.6-million-square-foot “megamall” was exactly what the Toronto waterfront needed, but no, I’m sure this wonkish stuff is where Ford really shines.
https://www.guelphtoday.com/columns...alk-about-toronto-but-maybe-we-should-1005131

People are aware that a large part of their rent goes towards property tax right?
[...]
In fact, Tory held a campaign news conference this week — among the very first of this election — that he said was going to address “keeping Toronto affordable.” At that news conference, his big reveal was that he promised to keep property tax increases at or below the rate of inflation. This was his banner “affordability” promise in his 2014 campaign, too.

Which is pretty much the weakest of weak sauce. I mean, as the man says, it depends on who you are asking. But when we asked Torontonians in that Forum poll, only six per cent said property tax rates were their big issue — fewer than said traffic safety or social housing. And if you ask me, a homeowner with three children who has been paying close professional attention to this city and its politics, property tax rates are among the least of my concerns.

Property tax rates went up 2.1 per cent this year — $81 per year for the average homeowner. $81 per year. [...]
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/sta...bility-is-the-key-issue-in-this-election.html

Last edited:
Just check with Nick K...

Jennifer Pagliaro‏Verified account@jpags
I asked Tory, as per his own campaign statement yesterday, what ideas or positions put forward by @gordperks, @m_layton, @joe_cressy etc. he finds "radical." Tory refused to answer that at what he defined as a "government" press conference and said we could take it up later.
Tory really choked answering this.

Radical is really subjective anyway. In my opinion those 3 councilors are all radical at least with respect to a person who is able to get elected.

Will Kouvalis being on board change people's minds? Seems like inside baseball for people who weren't voting for Tory in the first place.

Ok, so I finally found a new home (friggin thank the universe, that was stressful) and it's only $250/mth more than my current place into which I moved 16 months ago which was only $150/mth more than the place I lived in prior into which I had moved in one year earlier. These are all flats of similar size in...ok, you can judge the neighbourhoods yourself: (in order of price listing) Parkdale, Mimico, Davisville. Do you see where I'm going with this?
Does this seem like a normal rate of inflation?
Do you think my wages have gone up by even half that in the same amount of time?

That property tax though, what a killer.

More "fun": I'm moving back into a building in which I last lived 12 years ago (Parkdale holla!). When I left in 2007, the large 1 bedrooms on a higher floor (above 10) were $930/mth. They now want $2000/mth. If I had stayed there, I'd now be paying about $1250/mth.
I don't even know what people on minimum wage are doing.
I have a friend who moved to Perth, Australia and when I tell here what things cost now she actually knows she can't move back here at the wages she'd get in her job.
That's a joke. Except it's not.

The property taxes are not the problem.

Last edited:
Will Kouvalis being on board change people's minds? Seems like inside baseball for people who weren't voting for Tory in the first place.
I mean when John Tory had him on board in 2014 he lost the election so I think there is a good chance it happens again.

Ok, so I finally found a new home (friggin thank the universe, that was stressful) and it's only $250/mth more than my current place into which I moved 16 months ago which was only $150/mth more than the place I lived in prior into which I had moved in one year earlier. These are all flats of similar size in...ok, you can judge the neighbourhoods yourself: (in order of price listing) Parkdale, Mimico, Davisville. Do you see where I'm going with this?
Does this seem like a normal rate of inflation?
Do you think my wages have gone up by even half that in the same amount of time?

That property tax though, what a killer.

More "fun": I'm moving back into a building in which I last lived 12 years ago (Parkdale holla!). When I left in 2007, the large 1 bedrooms on a higher floor (above 10) were $930/mth. They now want $2000/mth. If I had stayed there, I'd now be paying about $1250/mth.
I don't even know what people on minimum wage are doing.
I have a friend who moved to Perth, Australia and when I tell here what things cost now she actually knows she can't move back here at the wages she'd get in her job.
That's a joke. Except it's not.

The property taxes are not the problem.

Certainly the taxes are not the problem but the problem you describe is also why many don't want to compound a dime on top of, the City also has an issue of a lack of trust of how and where the increased tax would be used in an amalgamated City. I for one believe we need to raise taxes for critical service and infrasturure., but even I have a hard time trusting council to be attentive to the needs of my area, not wasting it on "feel good" projects/pet projects, and ensuring equal share. As you mention what would the people on min wage going to vote for with hyper inflation on shelter going on? Tougher sell in a runaway market

Last edited:

The guy has assisted in the last 2 elections victories. He also seems smart enough to realize Tory can to pick up some loose Ford nation by going on the attack against the silent far Left NDP on council and hammering at Keesaats tax intentions which surely isn't something that's going to help her.

The only minds hes changing are voters in Tory favour, those that think its a problem are already voting elsewhere.

Last edited:

Back