News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
It was stated above that's its looking to become a Michael's. Yup, this store: http://www.michaels.com/

they better NOT ..... this would be devastating... and an insult to this area-
Michaels is too subburban.. why the hell would that even be considered - how would that even make sense
who would the customers be?..
this better be an April fools joke...

it would make more sense to have a Loblaws or Sobey's here instead..
better be something that would enhance this supposed "Entertainment District" that is slowly disappearing..

they better NOT ..... this would be devastating... and an insult to this area-
Michaels is too subburban.. why the hell would that even be considered - how would that even make sense
who would the customers be?..
this better be an April fools joke...

it would make more sense to have a Loblaws or Sobey's here instead..
better be something that would enhance this supposed "Entertainment District" that is slowly disappearing..

A Loblaws could actually work quite well here. Where's the closest large scale grocery store around the area?

A Loblaws could actually work quite well here. Where's the closest large scale grocery store around the area?
The Loblaw's at Queen and Bathurst, or the Longo's at Maple Leaf Square, or the Metro at Church and Front.

The Loblaw's at Queen and Bathurst, or the Longo's at Maple Leaf Square, or the Metro at Church and Front.

I had a friend who lived in this hood and he always used to complain about the lack of grocery store - the Queen Portland store is pretty close but isn't THAT walkable if you've got lots of stuff. Do any of the new condo buildings have any grocery stores planned for them? (Rant: this the huge problem of how city planners have let the ED become developed, ten 40-story condo bulidings, thousands of new residents and and the most we'll get is an aroma, subway and dry cleaners).

As for this space - I suspect the ground floor space has high rental rates, but the rest of the layout isn't that ideal, its pretty choppy (the weird mid-tier floor where the starbucks is) - this would preclude it from being a grocery store as its not all on one level. That being said - I didn't realize Michael's was so popular LOL

The condo (DNA?) at King/Shaw has a smallish Loblaws going in.

Part of the issue is that the spaces being developed are small or live/work which isn't suited for anything beyond ... a dry cleaner's or a nail salon or a subway. There are also clauses in building declarations that can limit the type of retail that can go in -- that's an issue where I live, and it's frustrating because it's really hard to change a declaration.

The store itself is 32K sq ft...what else could work there other than Michael's? The other units are as follows:

Scotiabank Theatre 106K sq ft
Marshall's 36K sq ft (18K on each level)
Goodlife 34K sq ft
Milestone's 9.5K sq ft
Linen Chest 13.5K sq ft

I had a friend who lived in this hood and he always used to complain about the lack of grocery store - the Queen Portland store is pretty close but isn't THAT walkable if you've got lots of stuff. Do any of the new condo buildings have any grocery stores planned for them? (Rant: this the huge problem of how city planners have let the ED become developed, ten 40-story condo bulidings, thousands of new residents and and the most we'll get is an aroma, subway and dry cleaners).

As for this space - I suspect the ground floor space has high rental rates, but the rest of the layout isn't that ideal, its pretty choppy (the weird mid-tier floor where the starbucks is) - this would preclude it from being a grocery store as its not all on one level. That being said - I didn't realize Michael's was so popular LOL
I used to live at Boutique, and it sucked for groceries. If you needed more than 2-3 bags of stuff, walking was not an option.

~ OPENING Spring 2015 ~

Mark McEwan announces his new McEwan location. The 5,000-square-foot gourmet food shop is at the base of the Toronto-Dominion Centre in downtown Toronto across from Bymark.

"The new shop will concentrate on the coffee bar service, prepared foods, increased focus on fresh sandwiches, salads and sides, as well as a limited selection of grocery and produce items. There will also be a kitchen serving up daily fresh offerings." - Jordie McTavish

This is the first but not the last downtown location.

Mark McEwan announces his new McEwan location. The 5,000-square-foot gourmet food shop is at the base of the Toronto-Dominion Centre in downtown Toronto across from Bymark.

Well that answers the pointless debate we were having in the downtown grocery store thread two months ago over what McEwan meant by "downtown central" in the tweet about an upcoming announcement.

This is the first but not the last downtown location.

A King West location might still be in the works.

Last edited:
Word is that the King West location (former Nutshell) space is going to be a Shopper's Drug Mart. Now that they have cleared the competition bureau hurdle, I can see them putting a Shoppers there.

Yes, there were discussions on these forums when Nutshell was cancelled. Just as confused as you are. So either city staff were inadvertently reporting on plans that were out of date, or there are plans to resurrect Nutshell. I suspect the former.

Back