News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
There are too many vacancies on Yonge south of Dundas (mainly north of Queen) now ... Circa club / Montanana, namely, the lack there of make the area around Scotia bank theater seem rather barren.

Also I wonder when they'll start the development on Queen (just west of John I think) of that empty property ... used for movie promotions from time to time.

Does anyone know what happened to Bakery 18 at the Atrium? I was there a few days ago and it was shut. No notice or anything and the trays, tongs, etc were still there. It was the only Asian-style bakery (I could think of, anyway) outside of predominantly Asian areas in the GTA.

I was sad to notice the same thing last weekend. Was hoping they were just closed for the day, but I had a bad feeling it was permanent. I notice their website is kaput too. Shame, it was a pretty handy place to grab a snack, and I liked their buns as they were less greasy than some of the Chinatown competitors.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but they are renovating the ground floor of Citigroup Place.

Alright, I cleared up my own confusion when I replied to this comment with:
"On Yonge right? Yea that makes sense, I had no idea what was going on there."

I was referring to 151 Yonge ... which was CI investments offices (at least part of the building) - but the loby seemed to be under construction / stripped down / something ... and somehow I thought this was what you were referring to.

Turns out that CI investments is actually moving offices to MLSE - they're taking the entire office space compontant there (about 250K square feet) - so that likely explains why the loby is now vacated - a good deal of space is available in this building now (about 100K square feet) .... but long story short, my confusion :)

I am not surprised. Young Kensington Market hipsters either can't afford books or read them on their ipads.... Locating on a less popular street in the Market was also a bad idea--Augusta would've been the better location. This Ain't the Rosedale Library, ironically, would do better in Rosedale! I wish the owner well though--he helped many authors I know get an audience.
The oldest gay bookstore in North America -- Toronto's Glad Day -- is also apparently on the verge of closing. So sad they couldn't afford a space on Church Street. It might have made the difference for them.

Does anyone know what happened to Bakery 18 at the Atrium? I was there a few days ago and it was shut. No notice or anything and the trays, tongs, etc were still there. It was the only Asian-style bakery (I could think of, anyway) outside of predominantly Asian areas in the GTA.
I loved the Chinese buns at Bakery 18. So very sad. It was a stylish little bakery too.

I was sad to notice the same thing last weekend. Was hoping they were just closed for the day, but I had a bad feeling it was permanent. I notice their website is kaput too. Shame, it was a pretty handy place to grab a snack, and I liked their buns as they were less greasy than some of the Chinatown competitors.

I'll miss the 6 buns for 6$.

I think they might be looking into the future here. With new development at the base of the CN Tower, the aquarium and a number of Hotel/condos, etc. this area should become pretty hot.

Also, I believe Disney is going to be taking the entire 7th floor of the CBC Broadcast Centre for their Canadian operations.

Yep that sounds just about right, there was an article regarding this in the star a while ago, it wasn't finalized at the time though.

There's still space available in this building though - so I wasn't sure that deal actually went through or they're just trying to lease more of the floors:
http://www.realinsite.com/index_en.php?page=buildingdetail&spaceid=6722&backlink=index.php%3Fpage%3Dsearchengine%26building_name%3Dcbc%26searchbyabldgbtn%3DFind

I'm surprised re Disney; I thought their day had come and gone as retail stores.

I was looking for a few items for my girlfriend's daughter just before Christmas last year and hit the one at Scarborough Towne after she'd gone through the Eaton Centre.

It was doing well that day.

Point of advice: never do this, ever.

Can't say for sure but it looks like the old Montana beside Scotia Bank theater has been leased (not sure by who).

the eaton centre is under construction like crazy atm with many work walls everywhere and signs about the mall being updated absolutely everywhere. PH8 closed and its going to become an OAKLEY and the victoria secret spot is huge.

Marshalls discount stores coming to Canada

TJX, which operates Winners, plans to open six stores next spring

Globe and Mail Update Published on Tuesday, Jul. 20, 2010 5:57PM EDT Last updated on Tuesday, Jul. 20, 2010 6:11PM EDT

The apparel discount segment is about to expand in Canada.

TJX Cos. Inc. (TJX-N42.040.641.55%), which runs Winners low-cost fashion stores in Canada, will launch its Marshalls discount chain here next spring.

“We believe Marshalls will offer Canadians yet another avenue to great brands, great fashions and excellent values for the entire family†Carol Meyrowitz, chief executive officer of TJX in Framingham, Mass., said on Tuesday. “This is another example of our emphasis on international expansion.â€

The company, which also runs the HomeSense chain of home decor stores, envisions 90 to 100 Marshalls stores in Canada eventually.

She said TJX enjoys its best financial returns from its Canadian division, which runs 208 Winners stores, 79 HomeSense outlets and three StyleSense shoe and accessories outlets. Its U.S. stores include 903 T.J. Maxx outlets and 819 Marshalls and it also has stores in Europe.

Winners is known for selling coveted brands such as Calvin Klein, Prada and Ralph Lauren at up to 60 per cent off their regular price. It purchases excess inventory from suppliers and retailers.

And while TJX has made headway with its key concepts in Canada, its StyleSense chain, launched almost two years ago, is still being tested here with no plans for expansion. “We’re going to be in test mode for a little while longer,†spokeswoman Sherry Lang said on Tuesday.

She said Marshalls will differentiate itself from Winners in its product categories, although she didn’t elaborate. In the United States Marshalls carries more children’s and men’s wear and footwear than its T.J. Maxx stores.

The company will roll out its first six Marshalls stores in Canada next spring.

Long time Yorkville store The Paisley Shop has left the building. Women's clothing store Pink Tartan is reported to be taking over the space.

pinktartan.jpg

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5R 1C1

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 224439 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jul 20, 2010

Project: Retail Store Multiple Projects

Description: Interior alterations to this two storey split level retail building. There will be interior alterations to both levels for the retail store "PINK TARTAN". This proposal includes plumbing and HVAC. There will also be changes to the facade.

Back