8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
184 Front Street East.

The furniture store on Front Street East at Princess is closing and will be replaced by a Pet-Valu. Pet Cuisine further west will be getting worried.

TORONTO ON M5A 4N3

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 328819 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 20, 2011

Project: Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to existing ground floor commercial unit for new retail store. Tenant - "Pet Valu".

Not downtown Toronto, but in North York the former Deboers furniture store (which I thought was going to be sold to a developer) is becoming a Michaels. Homemakers, rejoice!

the first floor windows are now covered over with brown paper... and walking by at night, i noticed that directly above, the 2nd floor appears to be gutted. is this store going to be 2 storeys?

Didn't get a pic, but Brooks Bros. now has signage in the windows: "Brooks Brothers Flatiron Shop" Spring 2012

And I recently found out that the "gutted" section on the second floor actually used to be part of BMO too, but they must have had to access it in a strange way

With Marshalls opening in Aura on College St, will Winners College Park convert to HomeSense? Makes no sense to have Marshalls and Winners virtually next door to each other, huh?

Many Future Shop/Best Buys are located close to each other (Heartland, Yonge&Dundas/Bay&Dundas)

With Marshalls opening in Aura on College St, will Winners College Park convert to HomeSense? Makes no sense to have Marshalls and Winners virtually next door to each other, huh?

We have both Marshalls and Winners in the same shopping plaza in Ajax, only a few doors apart.

Both are similar kinds of stores and will feed off of each others business. I have seen Future Shop's across the street from Best Buy's, most people ( myself included ) usually end up going to both stores. It's a smart business move.

Toronto’s oldest indie bookstore to close

Toronto’s oldest independent bookstore is to close after 47 years citing a crushing rent increase.

The Book Mark, on Bloor St. W. in Etobicoke’s Kingsway neighbourhood, announced the news to customers Tuesday with signs in the window and a 20-per-cent-off sale.

“A customer whose mother has shopped here from the beginning came in this morning,” said owner Sue Houghting. “He said he doesn’t know how to tell her.”

Houghting remembers shopping in the store as a 3-year-old with her mother.

The original Book Mark, under owner Nan Chapin, opened on the south side of Bloor St., and moved after a couple of years to nearby Jackson Ave., just north of Bloor.

That’s the store Houghting knew as a toddler, in a 1920s apartment building.

“It was magical — I fell in love with it,” she said. “The cook books were in the kitchen. The office was in the bathroom. The back room was all kids’ books.”

Her favourites were those by British children’s author Enid Blyton, who published hundreds of books and is credited with writing more than 7,500 short stories, poems and plays. They had a special section of their own in the backroom closet.

“There was also this wonderful horse that you could sit on,” Houghting recalled of a miniature carousel horse that continues today as a featured attraction.

“It’s stationary but kids try to put quarters in it to make it move,” she said.

Houghting, now 47, took a job at the store in 1988 and bought it in 1995 with her late business partner David Eustace. The following year, they moved around the corner to the store’s current location at 2964 Bloor St. W.

As the book business changed, Houghting focused on customer service. This Christmas season ended “a few points up” from last year, she said

“You get to know your customers, what they like to read — you just spoil people,” she said. “We’ve got customers who have a favourite bookseller on staff. They read mysteries and the bookseller reads mysteries, so they will deal only with that person.”

Last summer, Houghting started thinking of selling.

Assistant manager Sarah Pietrosky was interested but the store’s landlord was asking $6,000 a month for a new lease, a jump of more than 26 per cent. Reached by phone Tuesday, landlord Anthony Scolaro declined comment.

“Like any shopping district, if you move too far east or west you lose your customer base,” Houghting said.

Options proved scarce and a decision was made to close at the end of the month — sooner if sales go quickly.

Houghting plans to move to Ottawa to be closer to family members and perhaps work part-time, but not in a big-box store.

“I can’t work at a chain, I’m too loyal to independents,” she said.

A staff member has asked for the carousel horse, promising to provide a good home.

In good company

The Book Mark joins a distinguished company of recent independent bookstore closings.

2011 — The Flying Dragon, children’s bookstore, Leaside.

2010 — This Ain’t the Rosedale Library.

2009 — Pages Books, Queen St. W.; David Mirvish Books, Markham St.; McNally Robinson Booksellers, Don Mills.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1110071--toronto-s-oldest-indie-bookstore-to-close?bn=1

I posted this on the Riverdale thread, but for those who don't follow that particular neighbourhood thread, there is a closure coming on the Danforth. The Cook's Place is closing. It will happen at the end of March, and they will be having sales in February and March. The owner sent around an email saying that after 14 years, she wanted to spend more time with her grandchildren.

Gap at First Canadian Place is closing.

That whole area seems to disappearing behind hoarding right now (and making life rather inconvenient for people who work in 320 Bay and would like to cut through). The Fairweather actually finally closed, too.

It's definitely a maze down there. Signs on Fairweather indicated it was closing to renovate, but it looks like Gap is going for good.

It's definitely a maze down there. Signs on Fairweather indicated it was closing to renovate, but it looks like Gap is going for good.

Probably just means better stores are moving in. That part of the PATH should have nothing but higher end stores.

Probably just means better stores are moving in. That part of the PATH should have nothing but higher end stores.

I suspect there may be some delay on moving in new stores until after the renovations are complete. There are several vacant spots at FCP right now with no indication as to what stores might be coming, and I doubt whether a high end store would want to move in right now, with the whole concourse in flux with construction hoarding going up and coming down constantly. The GAP store is also on the lower floor, where the higher-end stores (with the exception of the two-floor Harry Rosen) are mostly on the upper floor (and there are vacancies up there, too).

Back