i spend most of the week at my girlfriend's place that overlooks the One Bloor site and it seems to be moving at a consistent snail's pace. I'm no expert in construction or 'hole digging' for that matter - but based on what I've seen hitting bottom seems a long way off...

I'm not sure if this was already known but I've never heard it come up in discussion. One Bloor will be full curtain wall and steel framed according to Tucker Hi-Rise President Michael McGrath.

[video=youtube;R73GX7ijH_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R73GX7ijH_Y[/video]

Last edited:
That video was very interesting. The computerized water based ballist system, is that to counteract the sway of such a tall building? That is too cool.

Interesting details about the foundation and the dampers to be used in One Bloor East.

wikipedia has a list of buildings with tuned mass dampers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_mass_damper

Here's a description of the water damper in One Wall Centre in Vancouver.

At the top of the 48-storey One Wall Centre there are two "tuned liquid column dampers" (TLCDs), each consisting of water tanks 16 m long x 4.5 m wide x about 8 m tall, extending nearly the full width of the tower. Within each tank is a long horizontal chamber at the bottom and two columns of water at each end.

The dampers work by allowing the water to move back and forth along the bottom chamber of the tank and up into the columns of water. When the building moves under wind loading, the water moves back and forth, transferring its momentum to the building and counteracting the effects of wind vibration.

Last edited:
...if this one goes 75, and Aura is 78...

:rolleyes:
That makes these towers very similar in height and impact to the two real tall towers north of Atlantas main CBD.... ( Nations Bank, and the northern edge, One Atlantic Center),

Only with so much more infill!
From the west they will have similar profiles silhouettes!
A southern bulk of towers, a central hub, and a northern peak !!
Toronto is far denser, but the heights will be quite similar, 900- 1000 feet downtown, 900 -1000 ft midtown, and 800+++ at the north end, very similar, only way more urban fabric, and mid range towers!! (and city living), in Toronto!!

Toronto being a range of mountains, Atlanta...a string of Volcanos!!! Both skylines have gaps, between, their peaks, much as Chicago did, when Hancock and Sears were put up in the 70's.... which has filled in very nicely since!!!!

Hot damn, we're almost on par with Atlanta! Only thing left is the Olympics. (and a bigger Aquarium.)

Feb 4th 2012 Update:

One%2520Bloor%2520Feb%25204%25202012.jpg

the last 2 photos were posted a day apart and the shovels havent moved... I guess this thing isnt exactly a round-the-clock-operation

Back