Good question. It looks like that central stack would hold maybe 4 elevator shafts side-by-side?

There are a total of 6 elevators, 3 high lift (upper floors - above 37th) 3 low lift (37th floor and down)

Low lift 3 elevators service about 450 units
High lift 3 elevators service about 350 units
(total residential units about 800)

Last edited:
Good question. It looks like that central stack would hold maybe 4 elevator shafts side-by-side?

Usually there is a second bay on the floor plate - look at the photos from previous days. So they have 8 potentially in total. Still not sure if that`s a lot or a little for a 75 story residential tower.

This was discussed some time ago. On Skyscraper Life they say it has 9 elevators. For having lived on a high floor at the smaller ROCP 1 (which has six elevators) for the past seven and a half years, I can say that six for a building of that size would not be enough. It depends on the quality of the elevators. We have had several breakdowns due to water damage to the circuitry; one elevator was offline for months because they were waiting for parts. We also had a few times when all high-floor elevators were offline. It can be very inconvenient, frustrating and frankly life-threatening in extreme circumstances.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think a total of six elevators for 800 units is light. I realize this isn't an office tower but I would think wait times will be high no matter how high the speed.

well they have to maximize floor plate - eliminating two elevators probably allowed space for another dinky unit - which they can sell.

I'm pretty sure the convenience of unit owners (a large percentage of whom will never live there) is not a big priority. Just gotta meet code.

I'm pretty sure the convenience of unit owners (a large percentage of whom will never live there) is not a big priority. Just gotta meet code.

That's a pretty cynical view.

I doubt the top architectural firms are designing the landmark buildings in Toronto 'just to meet code.'

GG is better than that.
While there are 6 total passenger elevators. It is not the traditional split of 3 for lower floors and 3 for upper floors. All 6 can serve the lower floors. While only 3 will serve the upper floors. The split is not as static as we are used to in commercial buildings.
GG is introducing to Toronto a brand new technology which will actually detect the residences key fob and direct them to a designated elevator. Imagine all 3 of the elevators serving the lower floors are in used the reminding 3 are equipped with the new technology and can serve all floors. When 10 residents come home and pass thru the key fob sensor, 8 are staying between level 33-44, 2 are staying on Level 68-70. The system will direct the 8 to elevator #4 while directing the other 2 to elevator #5.

Thats very interesting, the drawings seem to conflict with this though showing openings for high lift elevators at P4, P3, P2, P1, Ground, 6th, 7th, & 35th-75th only, not all floors.

If this is true, then those 3 elevators would serve 48 floors. Our 3 high-floor elevators at ROCP 1 serve 28 floors only, and it is barely enough.

If this is true, then those 3 elevators would serve 48 floors. Our 3 high-floor elevators at ROCP 1 serve 28 floors only, and it is barely enough.

I just looked at another set and cliffy is correct, openings have been added to all floors for the High lift elevators.

While we are talking about elevator facts, I am impressed by the use of Kone JumpLift elevators during the construction process instead of those sketchy exterior mounted hoists I never feel too comfortable in.

Back