Really anticipating those retail spaces opening to the public. I feel as if (more so than Aura) this huge retail component was hidden from the public eye whilst under construction, but now as all is being revealed, One Bloor is solidifying itself as not just a landmark structure for the area, but a significant retail destination - something Aura lacks, even years after opening. Being similarly sized buildings, I much prefer the retail concept for One Bloor, despite it being only being 1-2 levels vs Aura having 3-4 (mediocre) ones.
I eagerly await the views! Judging by the tease of someMidtowner's photos on the other threads, I don't think there's a project you can't see from this building.

Quick snap from today. For some reason from this vantage point, Aura is always lost in the shadow of FCP.
(One Bloor is the tall peak next to the CN Tower. The One will eclipse the CN Tower's main observation level from here.)

22259958841_75087dbaf1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Apple is expected (although not publicly declared) at 1 Bloor West, not East.
There had long been rumours of an Apple flagship store at 1 Bloor East, even back to when Bazis was developing the site. I don't know if those rumours were based on anything more substantial than hopes, however.

There had long been rumours of an Apple flagship store at 1 Bloor East, even back to when Bazis was developing the site. I don't know if those rumours were based on anything more substantial than hopes, however.

I do remember way back when, early renders of the 1 Bloor East project showed the old, colourful, iTunes/iPod banners that showed silhouettes of people dancing with their ipods wrapped around the podium. Perhaps that got the speculation going, even though many projects at the time (and still to this day), use Apple-inspired, promotional material or retail spaces to advertise their building. Take for example the 1st batch of renderings for The One. The interior retail spaces depicted fronting Bloor street NO DOUBT look like the inside of an Apple store, when in fact, nothing official confirmed its presence.
In reality, an Apple Store would make sense somewhere here -which fuels the speculation even more. Many, including myself, believe at one point or another, Apple will open another downtown Toronto store - hopefully a flagship-worthy one. Whether it be at 1 Bloor East or West or anywhere along Bloor Street, it's not a matter of if, as it is when.
*if you want to take speculation to the next level, let's say Mizrahi HAS found some anchor tenants for the retail component, it would make sense that he would want to fast-track his building and start work on the podium ASAP for a soft 2018/19 opening, because I'm not sure how long (*Apple*) is willing to wait ;)

Really anticipating those retail spaces opening to the public. I feel as if (more so than Aura) this huge retail component was hidden from the public eye whilst under construction, but now as all is being revealed, One Bloor is solidifying itself as not just a landmark structure for the area, but a significant retail destination - something Aura lacks, even years after opening. Being similarly sized buildings, I much prefer the retail concept for One Bloor, despite it being only being 1-2 levels vs Aura having 3-4 (mediocre) ones.
I eagerly await the views! Judging by the tease of someMidtowner's photos on the other threads, I don't think there's a project you can't see from this building.

Quick snap from today. For some reason from this vantage point, Aura is always lost in the shadow of FCP.
(One Bloor is the tall peak next to the CN Tower. The One will eclipse the CN Tower's main observation level from here.)

There is something like 60+ retail spaces for sale/lease available at the Aura at any given time of the year. Some landlords are giving away free rent for a year with no luck attracting tenants.

There is something like 60+ retail spaces for sale/lease available at the Aura at any given time of the year. Some landlords are giving away free rent for a year with no luck attracting tenants.
Hardly a surprise; the interior retail in Aura is ghastly, is not on any sensible walking route so gets little or no "passing trade" and is (apart from the large units on 2nd floor) tiny. The possibly useful space on Yonge is used primarily by banks that offer nothing to the street. Hard to know how it could be improved and I feel sorry for those who own the underground units.

Ya it's pretty bad. Definitely feels like a suburban blast from the past. The underground is very claustrophobic. But I imagine that when the other towers go up near by there will be a demand for cheaper retail space... Maybe. Hopefully

Would it be crazy to have two Apple stores here, one at 1BE and one at 1BW? This business model works well for Starbucks for people who don't want to cross the street. Or do you think that just one store is sufficient for our daily Apple product needs?

In reality, an Apple Store would make sense somewhere here -which fuels the speculation even more. Many, including myself, believe at one point or another, Apple will open another downtown Toronto store - hopefully a flagship-worthy one.
The problem is most true "flagship" level Apple stores are stand-alone structures, where Apple defines the exterior as well as interior architecture. When Stollery's was first rumoured to be selling, there was some speculation that Apple might build a large, iconic stand-alone store on that corner. But I'm not sure that a true flagship would go into either 1BE or 1BW as currently conceived. That doesn't mean we might not see an Apple store in one of these spots, I just think it is unlikely that it would be much more than a larger version of what we already have at Eaton Centre and Yorkdale.

The problem is most true "flagship" level Apple stores are stand-alone structures, where Apple defines the exterior as well as interior architecture. When Stollery's was first rumoured to be selling, there was some speculation that Apple might build a large, iconic stand-alone store on that corner. But I'm not sure that a true flagship would go into either 1BE or 1BW as currently conceived. That doesn't mean we might not see an Apple store in one of these spots, I just think it is unlikely that it would be much more than a larger version of what we already have at Eaton Centre and Yorkdale.

True, but I believe this has the potential to be much more significant then nearly a Yorkdale style mall Apple Store. We would see the iconic floor to ceiling glass front which are extremely tall, potential for a glass staircase leading to a second floor and the new designs that we recently saw in the new Belgium Apple Store and the eventual renovated fifth avenue Apple Store in New York

Im guessing the balconies will start going up in Spring next year. Doesn't make much sense for them to do much work on the outside of the building in wintertime.

I find it fascinating how people are so into apple stores. It's filled with tables of their product line that just repeats itself. And how often are you in the market for a $2000 laptop or $900 phone. I thought most people get their iPhones as part of their service providers contract anyways. And it's filled with so many employees who the few times I've been in one the sales people don't seem to enquire into my interest for being there. Most of the people look like their just there to loiter and play on the devices like its a hangout spot. Also how is a big flagship apple store offer more then your run of the mill ones in the malls... Some more accessories on the wall? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't get the huge popularity of them.

Also, from those pics the retail spaces look very high ceilings, makes me think another floor of retail could of been put in if they were lowered a bit but if it a brand looking for a flagship site, I guess they'd be looking for that grand look of high ceilings.

Im guessing the balconies will start going up in Spring next year. Doesn't make much sense for them to do much work on the outside of the building in wintertime.
I saw a few panes of balcony glass installed around 10th floor facing Yonge street... not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere. looks good

I hope other condo developers and INVESTORS take note of this and this horrible kind of situation never happens again. I hate the retail in Aura. It just feels oppressive being in that mall. Putting banks in prime street-side locations is the expedient way of filling those spaces but it does nothing to help create the right retail mix to attract customers to the stores/restaurants. It's short sighted and just bad planning. The banks should have been placed under ground or on the second level.

This whole project was badly planned right from the start.

Back