haha! OMG! Manhattan is SOO awesome :D!. its so huge, they even have to call the area in/around the Empire state building is called Midtown. and Lower manhattan (World Trade Center/Wall street) is downtown. its quite awesome how huge the city is.

to be fair , their is no highrise's between 14th, and about 32nd street or so.... not even midrises, ( 8- 25 floors) a combination of factors including bedrock, subway lines and the grid spurred the location of growth , (and the lack of it in the villiage.) Not like I would compare New York to Toronto, New York is so massive.

This is why Toronto is weird. We have some sort of issue with just loving our city. We're always comparing. Whether it's Mississauga, or New York City.

This is why Toronto is weird. We have some sort of issue with just loving our city. We're always comparing. Whether it's Mississauga, or New York City.

New York is the yardstick agist which all cities are maesured. New York is New York - it's awesomeness speaks for itself. They were building highrises before most of us ere even born.

When I see whats happening in Toronto it makes me think that our beloved T.O. will one day be as awesome. Hoping we can learn from some of their mistakes but part of what makes the city what it is is its randomness and ever changing landscape.

New-York-.jpg

nyc_wideangle_south_from_top_of_the_rock.jpg

Last edited:
to be fair , their is no highrise's between 14th, and about 32nd street or so.... not even midrises, ( 8- 25 floors)

I hate to keep taking this thread off topic but your claims about the mix of buildings in that section of town is completely exaggerated. True, its not a forest of skyscrapers like Lower Manhattan or Midtown but it's mostly mid-rise with a decent collection of highrise, notably around Madison Square Park 23-26 ST. Sure there are lowrise neighbourhoods such as Chelsea, but that is not exclusively the case as you have suggested. In any case, the density found in the area you have outlined easily exceeds Toronto's geographic equivalent.

Last edited:
I was just saying that, placing a map of Manhattan over downtown Toronto, is a misleading endeavor, the villiage is not "downtown" , the lower east side is not downtown.....Chicago would be a better example of a continuous downtown area, he said "Imagine a dense downtown from Eglington to the lake" , and thats all I was questioning, or debating......
PS love your photos Redroom.

all the same it does seem crazy that the Park, is that far from the battery....Manhattan is so amazing.....which makes me wonder how does Bloor to the lake, compare to Chicago, from Soldier field to the J. Hancock Gold Coast area?? 1 Bloor will anchor the north end of the skyline so nicely, it's really crazy how big Toronto is growing, I think Bloor will make an impressive mark, changing the vantage alot of postcards are taken from, and with Four Seasons, Aura and the rest a case can be made that the Toronto skyline is as beautiful as anywhere in North America, and certainly one of the longest stretches of urbanity .

Last edited:
Yeah! NYC sucks! Toronto, Ontario is where it's at!

Please...

Not what I was saying at all actually. Both are different, wasn't degrading one or the other.

It wasn't a hate on NYC, I grew up there somewhat, its just a bit overbearing for my liking, I would prefer Toronto was smaller even, larger and wealthier does not always mean a better livability, and aside from loving urbanity, i dont enjoy staying in Manhatten for a long time. Just personal preference, but when you are there for a long time, you start to want to get out, at least I did..and i am glad that I did...thanks.

Not really since it happens in every city except perhaps for New York. But that's something new; in previous eras New Yorkers certainly looked to other cities like Paris for design inspiration and in the dark ages of the 1970s, Toronto generated a lot of attention as a "city that works".

What I find weird is how slowly rapid transit expansion happens in city so large, dense, and vibrant as well as the lack of passion for beautiful public spaces. It seems like a PR struggle just to improve the likes of Nathan Philips Square, which should be a no-brainer if we want a great city and tourist dollars. There's a lot that we need to overcome. But if we break through the mediocrity, we will have a city that can be the benchmark more often.

One thing everyone notices going to NYC, is how dense it is.

Even coming from Toronto, we found the density to very very epic...

Back