Scotia Plaza which is almost 20 years old is still the best looking HR building in the city. You would think by now we would have seen something as good or better. One Bloor is a square tower with balconies...not very exciting....if it turns out like the renderings it will be ok. Could have done so much better.

You've said that the project is a disaster, "looks like a demolition site", "lipstick on this pig" at a point when the podium itself as hardly solid (much less clad) - and yet now you claim that it will be "ok" - and at the same time extoling others not to judge Aura which was much, much further ahead in the construction process on the basis that it isn't complete? I think one requires a bit of consistency in order to be taken seriously.

The attempt was better. Materials and finish fell short. It is however dramatic in the skyline.

Drama in the skyline doesn't translate into good architecture by default.

AoD

Last edited:
Scotia Plaza which is almost 20 years old is still the best looking HR building in the city. You would think by now we would have seen something as good or better. One Bloor is a square tower with balconies...not very exciting....if it turns out like the renderings it will be ok. Could have done so much better.

I like Scotia Plaza too but i don't know that the word 'drama' comes to mind when i think of it. To me 'drama' implies something more showy or 'histrionic', so to speak... so maybe i just misunderstood your original post? Regardless, if drama in this sense is what you're looking for I think that One Bloor hits the mark, the podium in particular... in theory at least, let's see how it's executed!

Looks like we they finished first floor of the tower and starting on the second.
photo.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,763
Very interesting angle on that shot. I hope you will have continued access to that vantage point as construction proceeds. If so, please keep the shots coming.

Looks like we they finished first floor of the tower and starting on the second

I believe what you see might be the forms for the elevator core above the 8th floor, as 8th floor is still in the process of being constructed/poured.

I like Scotia Plaza too but i don't know that the word 'drama' comes to mind when i think of it. To me 'drama' implies something more showy or 'histrionic', so to speak... so maybe i just misunderstood your original post? Regardless, if drama in this sense is what you're looking for I think that One Bloor hits the mark, the podium in particular... in theory at least, let's see how it's executed!

Agree in theory..if it ends up looking exactly like 5/31 and 13/31 in the renderings than yes it will have met my expectations....just don't hold your breath. As for dramatic...the Bazis design for this project blows this away.

Though Toronto condominiums are certainly having trouble stepping out of the safe and time tested form of the box, I think we are starting to see a few new project that are, paraphrasing another UT Forum member "It's a glass box, but a very nice glass box".

I think this, YC Condos, Residences at the RCMI, and Theatre Park are good examples.

Yesterday:

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3484.jpg
    IMG_3484.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,280
  • IMG_3486.jpg
    IMG_3486.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,262
  • IMG_3489.jpg
    IMG_3489.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,280
Will this be like Aura where they will open the base retail before the completion of the tower?

Back