Ok yes, I did mean the terraces. I guess I just had never seen that used. The underlying structure of the terraces are no different from the underlying structures of the balconies. They were all poured in the same fashion and just extend past the indoor spaces.

Ok yes, I did mean the terraces. I guess I just had never seen that used. The underlying structure of the terraces are no different from the underlying structures of the balconies. They were all poured in the same fashion and just extend past the indoor spaces.

Two reasons to use so called granular materials as underlayment:
1. voids are providing good drainage & permeability
2. it is a good way to mitigate necessary slab slopes to assure levelled base for pavers

The terraces are also above enclosed spaces - they contribute towards the roof area of the project and therefore the amount of green roof a building has

The terraces are also above enclosed spaces - they contribute towards the roof area of the project and therefore the amount of green roof a building has

Ok I can see that for some areas of the terraces they do act as the roof structure for the floors below. Thanks.

Also... The terraces have to be insulated (The pink Styrofoam) as they act as the roof of the space below, where as balconies need no insulation.

*Note: Some balconies need insulation on part of the surface when the floor below or above is off center. Anyone remember the balconies of Absolute World in Mississauga?

I gotta say the more I spend time creating fantasy renderings, the duller this project looks:
hEbj40h.jpg

I think the 1974 nimby looks better.

So quick to judge. We're halfway there and have barely seen the thing fully clad. Patience is certainly a virtue...

not to mention the fact that it's the middle of winter, everything is gray and dead, and the glass on 1bloor looks dull as a result. Everything looks better in summer!

not to mention the fact that it's the middle of winter, everything is gray and dead, and the glass on 1bloor looks dull as a result. Everything looks better in summer!

Too true, with everything so cold and grey, even the best looking towers would seem dull, I think I'll wait until it tops out and is nearly fully clad, in warmer temps, to give a final opinion :cool:

I can see it! When I moved into my apartment in 2008, none of the tallest towers were there, but look now, and in between two of the new condos, I am just now able to see a small corner of One Bloor (see picture). I live at 77 Howard street aka The Toronto, at Bloor and Parliment, on the 20th floor facing north. These pics are my view to the far left, never thought I'd get to see One Bloor, once topped out, I'll be able to see the top floor too, awesome! It will be like Aura, no matter where you are in the city, you'll be able to see it, like a gigantic monolith reaching for the sky, dwarfing every other tower near by, for now at least. It will be interesting to see what the proposed "The One" will do to the Yonge and Bloor area, which is now become a separate skyline in of itself. But with all the proposed towers in Yorkville and along Yonge down to Queen, damn, it's going to beocome one giant skyline from Sheppard and Yonge all the way down to the lake. Sounds ridiculous, but if only I had a time machine, just imagine how our city will look by 2050? I'm sorry for being off topic, but, just for fun, I posted a few pics, on my Facebook page, from various vantage points, of our skyline, but I photoshopped out the CN Tower, and asked my friends and followers, most of whom live here, to identify the city in the pics. I was astounded that only about 30% guessed correctly, most common answers? NYC, Chicago, LA, and even Hong Kong (most of these friends are PhD's, and/or highly educated professionals). Hard to believe that so few could recognize their own city! But it's just my point, projects like One Bloor and hundreds others have totally altered the face of our city, awesome, isn't it?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,356
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,358

Back