Funny how some of you who like the Queen St route now were bitching non-stop in the past that Queen St. would be too far north for the DRL.

It's still not my preference, but I'm not going to let the great be the enemy of the good. I'd much rather see a Queen DRL than no DRL.

Funny how some of you who like the Queen St route now were bitching non-stop in the past that Queen St. would be too far north for the DRL.

No need for that type of comment.

I prefer a more southerly DRL alignment, but there seems to be a lot of desire in political (and by extension, planning) circles to avoid SmartTrack cannibalization. We saw that in the new Scarborough transit plan as well. Tory threw a big wrench into things, and we're still figuring out how to work around it. I'll take a Queen DRL, but I would have preferred something else.

Queen sounds good to me. And I've never thought about Nathan Phillips Square being the “the geographic and psychological centre of the city.” I guess that kinda makes sense. Maybe not geographic, but if there were one "centre" for Toronto NPS would probably be it.

If I could design a subway line to go to my workplace I would to.

It's worth noting that Metrolinx looked at a Queen Street DRL alignment as part of a study evaluating options for Union Station capacity.

Look at alternative 4B here. [PDF] The Georgetown and Barrie Lines (I guess you could add Milton too) terminating at a new station at Spadina and Front. The Queen Subway dipping south to serve it.

this?

upload_2016-1-29_16-11-23.png

I remember thinking at the time if you are going to dip the drl south to Bathurst Yard station and terminate GT (now KW) and Barrie service there, why not terminate Lakeshore West there too?

Also, I thought the whole thinking on ReR was that KW and Stouffville would effectively become one through line....I guess that would not be possible if KW terminated at Bathurst and Stouffville was at Union?

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-29_16-11-23.png
    upload_2016-1-29_16-11-23.png
    461.9 KB · Views: 820
One thing worth noting though is that report dates back to 2011. That's before the concept of RER really came into being, not to mention SmartTrack. I think Option 5 from that report will get a serious look. Also, there's nothing yet explicitly stating that this will be a TTC subway using the current rolling stock.

I prefer a more southerly DRL alignment, but there seems to be a lot of desire in political (and by extension, planning) circles to avoid SmartTrack cannibalization. We saw that in the new Scarborough transit plan as well. Tory threw a big wrench into things, and we're still figuring out how to work around it. I'll take a Queen DRL, but I would have preferred something else.

But what if SmartTrack never gets built as envisioned (especially with TTC fares)? SmartTrack was impractical since day one, and I don't want the DRL to be fked up because of some misguided attempts to make the mayor's cockamamie transit plan fit in.

But what if SmartTrack never gets built as envisioned (especially with TTC fares)? SmartTrack was impractical since day one, and I don't want the DRL to be fked up because of some misguided attempts to make the mayor's cockamamie transit plan fit in.

So far, City Planning has been working to accommodate Tory's fantasy map, at least the part east of Mount Dennis. It's bothering me, but it's the new directive, it seems.

...the best approach involves a connection from Pape Station, on the Danforth line, to the area around City Hall. The proposal allows for stations along Queen around Sherbourne Street, Sumach Street and Broadview Avenue, as well as near Gerrard Square.

With a "City Hall" station, we would be able to connect with the underground PATH to reach both Osgoode and Queen Stations. Especially, using PRESTO cards to handle the transfers.

Path Queen.jpg

Think this transferring is too long, see the rest of world, starting with this.
bank-561781ef1d22c.jpg

With only four stations on Queen Street, the 501/503 streetcars will have to continue, as feeders and to supply local service. The 502 may move over to King Street.

Attachments

• Path Queen.jpg
    Path Queen.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 656
Last edited:

Back