Absolutely zero corner presence. Really disappointed by the podium/ how this thing resolves at street level.

I'll take it from your non-contribution that you want me to elaborate or don't understand what it means for a building to address a corner.

The first floor is a bit reminiscent of a strip plaza... glazing topped by an overhang feature, presumably for signage, that the tower above ends abruptly at, with no resolution of the tower. The podium doesn't address the corner in any meaningful way. John Street is a major street for the Entertainment District, so I'm surprised that there is no gesture to the corner apart from the glazing going at a slight angle at grade to expose the column to the exterior.

I'm a big Hariri Pontarini fan and I like the glazing on this project and the detailing, but the ground level is disappointing. I'd even accept this sort of "wall-of-glass" ground level if it was at least a bit more punctuated or interesting. Everything above the first level is nice, but there's this disconnect that makes the building far less interesting as a person walking past it than someone appreciating it from further away.

A nice summary modern, I agree completely. The at-grade treatment is pretty unfortunate, especially for a firm with HP's talent. Methinks Pinnacle cost-cutting is largely to blame.

I also wonder if the early design disregarded wind issues and the podium had to be a late-in-the-game response to mitigate the issue. It's like the tower is extending toward the sidewalk level without a podium and then WHAM!-- that one-level podium appears.

I also wonder if the early design disregarded wind issues and the podium had to be a late-in-the-game response to mitigate the issue. It's like the tower is extending toward the sidewalk level without a podium and then WHAM!-- that one-level podium appears.

I don't think the podium is high enough to dissipate wind. However I do like its design as it's markedly different from the usual podia.

HwhAQum.jpg

"Beautiful"? Really? I guess beauty really is in the eyes of the beholder but when a simple, grey, glass box is considered beautiful in this city, you know we're in trouble.

^ Uhhhh...I'd consider this a beautiful building in any city.

We're in trouble, why, exactly? Even excluding office, we have some gorgeous condominium buildings going up (X2, Ice, One Bloor East, L Tower, Massey, Picasso, River City, etc.). Oh ya, Toronto sure is in trouble. Not sure how anyone can say that with a straight face.

Back