• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
And it has officially topped out with the 2nd floor of the 8th floor skylofts. It's looking pretty good. This building is technically 9 floors.

From the Shoppers parking lot on Verral Ave.
3601309735_68b0482ec1_b.jpg

Looking down Colgate Ave. The distance between the tower and the Garment Factory Lofts also looks more substantial in person. There is a good distance between the two.
3601309745_f9c9b028a8_b.jpg

From Boston Ave. I also noticed that the windows have a vertical hinge. I can't stand the ones that hinge on the top and open about 4 inches.
3601309827_8d2f4094b0_b.jpg

Anyone bought a unit in this project recently or has been looking at it? I'd be interested in your experience.

Thanks

I bought one here, on the opening weekend. I've met with the builder to do some changes to my unit and have also done my upgrade selections. I bought in the original building.

Really, the process has been decent so far. The delay from start to finish hasn't been so bad (less than 9 months in my case), the builder has sent out some communications keeping us informed, and they have responded to any questions i've had very quickly.

The building looks really good too, which was one of the things I was originally concerned about (i.e. how they would be able to clean up the original building without killing the character). So far so good.

Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know about the site/process and i'll help out if I can!

This is one I'd avoid, at least in the tower portion, as there are no concrete wall dividers. Can you say "NOISY"!!!???

Do you know if there will be cinder block concrete walls or dry wall? Obviously, you can look at the current construction and see that the interior walls are not up, concrete or drywall, would they have already put up concrete cinder blocks walls at this point if that was the plan? I am just wondering, was there particular source that you got your info from? Not calling you out or anything just interested?

Do you know if there will be cinder block concrete walls or dry wall?

I don't know about PF.

Simuls doesn't really know..as he stated in another thread.

The old parts of the building have (single stud) drywall partitions, nothing in the tower yet.

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty sexy project! I really am glad about how these loft projects keep the old buildings around for everyone to enjoy.

Lookin good!

AGTO's right, in that I don't know if they'll use cinder blocks or drywall. I would assume that if they were going to use blocks, it'd be done already.

Drywall is being used in the tower portion. Loads of it are being delivered on an almost daily basis.

Thanks for the info! When I called the Beaverbrook office to ask about this, they told me they are doing double drywall with insulation. If I read the ratings correctly, that should be worth a STC of 43-45, whereas a block wall of 6" has a STC of 46, so pretty similar.

I'm relieved, to say the least.

Thanks for the info! When I called the Beaverbrook office to ask about this, they told me they are doing double drywall with insulation. If I read the ratings correctly, that should be worth a STC of 43-45, whereas a block wall of 6" has a STC of 46, so pretty similar.

Except that most condo's have a single layer of drywall on each side of the concrete wall as well, so the STC would be much higher.

I think there may be a bit of misinformation in here about single-stud walls. Single steel stud, insulated walls (which are being used in the TPF) are NOT the same as interior walls in houses. Furthermore, the drywall is structurally decoupled on a stud wall (which it is not on a concrete/cinderblock wall where it is attached to a single structure):

"Typical interior walls in homes (2 sheets of 1/2" drywall on a wood stud frame) have an STC of about 33. When asked to rate their acoustical performance, people often describe these walls as "paper thin". They offer little in the way of privacy. Adding absorptive insulation (i.e. fiberglass batts) in the wall cavity increases the STC to 36-39, depending on stud and screw spacing. Doubling up the drywall in addition to insulation can yield STC 41-45, provided the wall gaps and penetrations are sealed properly.

Note that doubling the mass of a partition does not double the STC. Doubling the mass (going from two total sheets of drywall to four, for instance) typically adds 5-6 points to the STC. Breaking the vibration paths by decoupling the panels from each other will increase transmission loss much more effectively than simply adding more and more mass to a monolithic wall/floor/ceiling assembly.

Structurally decoupling the drywall panels from each other (by using resilient channels, steel studs, a staggered-stud wall, or a double stud wall) can yield an STC as high as 63 or more for a double stud wall, with good low-frequency transmission loss as well. Compared to the baseline wall of STC 33, an STC 63 wall will transmit only 1/1000 as much sound energy, seem 88 percent quieter and will render most frequencies inaudible."

Source: http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Sound_transmission_class

Last edited:
Structurally decoupling the drywall panels from each other (by using resilient channels, steel studs, a staggered-stud wall, or a double stud wall)

This is most likely a misprint, since a steel stud is not resilient and will not decouple the drywall from both sides. Staggered studs and resilient channel will provide some decoupling.

Back