I don't know what you all are talking about. This building is a one of a kind creation and looks very nice. The black windows make it classy and very unique. Very suitable for the King W area. Any other black windowed condos in TO????
Good job to Tridel!

James Cooper Mansion and The Met come to mind. I'd also consider X to be part of the black camp, as it's generally difficult to pick up the slight green tint. Still, being very unique doesn't make for great architecture. What if I built something that literally looked like a pile of dog crap, complete with brown glazing? How many other poop coloured condos are in TO?

Uniqueness ≠ greatness.

There is certainly a overuse of greys and black on recent projects. So I think Reve overdid the dark, gloomy cladding but the red stripes and balconies help offset this.

from today
20110606a144.jpg

20110606a142.jpg

20110606a154.jpg

20110606a147.jpg

Thank goodness for those red panels. That being said, the large blank west wall on Front will likely have one of the Minto-Freed buildings right up against it, so the red will be largely hidden.

While the contrasting balconies and red panelling certainly help, its massing is still very oppressive. I just realized though, from the side it resembles one of those nesting end tables (or, as previously mentioned, a building that's fallen over).

Pics taken June 9, 2011

Ou1mz.jpg

South and West side view

GPOXA.jpg

East side view

zYcfD.jpg

The random scattering of Reve's balconies on the south elevation looks pretty cool .... great shots Red Mars, thanks ~

I've had my doubts, but I like how this has turned out. Its balconies offer a great counterpoint to the black cladding, and best of all it takes all your attention from the beige blunder directly to its east (aka The Big Meh).

In that last picture, looking down the laneway, that balcony glass looks very sexy!

This Bldg def sticks out while driving by on the GDNR! That's a good thing! I love the balconies!!

Back