Earlier on it was announced that ritz would be using clear, colourless glass.

Either I am way behind and not up to date with my facts, or some people have forgotten this.

The clear glass worries me, but we just have to wait and see what we get.

I had been under the impression Ritz & RBC were part of the same project and would be similar in their design. Metro, you're correct I meant the RBC building.

I can't wait for them to pour the super-dramatic cantilever which supports the lobby/amenity part (hovers over the driveway)!

Earlier on it was announced that ritz would be using clear, colourless glass.

Either I am way behind and not up to date with my facts, or some people have forgotten this.

The clear glass worries me, but we just have to wait and see what we get.

Clear glass would suck I think, only because this is a hotel and you need drapes no matter how much you don't like it from a design standpoint. A little tint to the glass will hide the mismatched effect of open and closed drapery.

I agree, it wouldn so great here, however I liked the effect it has on Spire.

I'm with MBS here, clear sailing all the way! On the other hand, Ritz could take some insipriation from Peter Freed and intentionally change the colors on their blinds - that would both mitigate the insipid 'open-and-closed-blinds-effect' and provide some much needed color on some pretty bland streetscapes (besides CBC - if only they had put a library branch in there it could have had the dramatic effect of the Pompidou Center, but oh well...).

June 22, 2008
From John Street

ritzroyal.jpg

I can't wait for them to pour the super-dramatic cantilever which supports the lobby/amenity part (hovers over the driveway)!

Completely! I was by there a few weeks ago, maybe a month or so, and I saw that they had poured some of the angled columns, but nothing more than that- nonetheless, still cool to see.

This debate about clear glass is a little vague- especially considering that most glass is clear. However, if you guys mean without a green or blue or grey tint, then that is a different case. I would like to see some samples of what clear glass is?

p5

The Four Seasons Centre uses tint-less, low-iron, clear glass.

no! not blue again... I was hoping for silver(untinted reflective) like in one of the fantasy renderings we saw on this thread. This one:

6yvcfo1.jpg

Wow, I never saw the Ritz from that viewpoint before, great job Cassius! I've also never seen the south side of the Renaissance hotel either

Anyone know the status of construction on this project?
We seem to be stuck on the podium level...

Ambitious to see this rise!

patience... construction is in full swing. I'm quite sure they are taking a bit of extra time on the podium because of its unique layout. Once they hit the tower portion it should really speed up as it does on every project.

Back