Re: >Re: Concourse building

which one is the concourse building? any photos?

oh - i confused this with the BA centre - i forgot about this one... ya right. thanks.

According to the Toronto Region Architectural Conservancy, in the late 1980's there was a plan to redevelop the block by building a 44 storey tower behind The Concourse to the north on Sheppard Street, with The Concourse integrated into the project. Perhaps this plan is being revisited?

Concourse building

I am confused as hell now- I remember this project was going to have only saved the facade and the entrance to the building, while gutting the rest and building a tower on top- is this correct?

Now, they are proposing to keep it, restore it and build behind it? Where can they build behind it- and where is this parking garage people are referring to? If possible, could someone show it outlined on a google map?

p5

Re: Concourse building

The parking garage is just to the north of it, on Sheppard.

The entire site lies within the completely-obscuring shadow of First Canadian Place on Google Maps sat shots: none of its component parts are visible.

You can see the site clearly using Toronto Maps with the 2005 aerial view turned on. So the parking garage and 85 Richmond would be levelled? Are there any pics of 85 Richmond around? I think it is an old style glass panel building isn't it?

From the inventory...

85 RICHMOND ST W Commercial 28 960-88 Architectural The Federal Building, 1922-23, C. Howard Crane -adopted by City Council on Aug. 8, 1988, DESIGNATION BY-LAW PASSED BY CITY COUNCIL on October 22, 1988 (heritage easement agreement registered as Instrument No. ca691409 on October 3, 2000)

Basically, a post-WWI spec building, utilitarian (for its day--but with nice brassy lobby detail) yet urbane. (I think it was also the first major building to which the Yolles name was attached.)

Somehow, I can't see it *demolished* demolished, not just for architectural or urbanistic reasons but also because of the Canadian Depository for Securities inside--which I believe was disincentive for redeveloping the site earlier, too...

Even with the low quality I guess cheap rents still make a difference. The Concourse building only has two vacant floors (2 and 12). The Toronto office market has really tightened up, buildings with high vacancies only a couple years ago seem to have filled up.

Both buildings seem full of human resource agencies.

The 19-storey office building on the SW corner of Dundas and University has 9 full floors vacant for about a year now (half the entire building) - I stare at it from my living room window every day wondering when a new tennant will move in!

Wasn't 525 University the building whose elevator failed and injured a few people?

Wasn't 525 University the building whose elevator failed and injured a few people?

No, that was 522 University. I worked there for a couple years not too long ago and was quite shocked when I saw the headlines.

Back