News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I can't help but wonder how many of those in the neighbourhood are anti-vaxxers.

AoD

They are despicable people regardless.

There are ways to articulate an objection, even a selfish one, and still be humane.

But read many of these letters and you see suggestions not only that a hospice will be a vector for disease; but they suggest it will somehow promote criminal behavior; and that its objectionable to have to look at sick/dying people.

Just wow.

Infuriatingly selfish, ill-informed, ignorant @#$#@

I am just totally flabbergasted at this whole thing and why anyone would be offended at the thought of a hospice in their neighbourhood.

I am just totally flabbergasted at this whole thing and why anyone would be offended at the thought of a hospice in their neighbourhood.

Because they are apparently immortal and would never suffer from a terminal disease (this death denial thing is very common - it's the avoidance of reminders)? Well, some of them could very well find out the hard way...

AoD

Not to take away from the horrific NIMBYsm surrounding the hospice, but the recent NIMBYsm surrounding One Delisle should surely liften some spirits:

If I got this correct, the NIMBYs are against One Delisle because it will be a more interesting building than 10 Delisle 🤣 🤣 🤣

If I got this correct, the NIMBYs are against One Delisle because it will be a more interesting building than 10 Delisle 🤣 🤣 🤣
Not exactly correct. Their main objection is the height and scale of the proposal.

Courtesy our own and the Globe and Mail's Alex Bozikovic, (from his Tweets) the proposed hospice and the site on which it will be located (if approved)

1592507469669.png

1592507484852.png

That's one reason for the trouble with COVID-19 in long-term care. The operators are more worried about money than about the residents. Same with the hospices, the NIMBY worry about "devaluing" the neighbourhood values than about carrying about the residents.

I don't think some people realize that a lot of the people that will live here, which isn't just homeless but also low-income, aren't serial killers, and aren't going to make the neighbourhood anywhere as scary as they make it out to be.

Many are people in an unfortunate situation, whether through their own fault or not, just need a little help from others to get back on their feet. No one wants to be homeless or low-income, many didn't have much of a choice.

It seems to me that the concern isn't about community, or whether or not they were consulted, but rather the impact on home values.

Back