News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

In other words, Not In My Neighbourhood!
No, that’s your words. What I’m questioning is who should bear the cost of affordable housing? If a small condo of a hundred units is being built and costs say $25 million to build, and the builder needs to sell the units for a total of $50 million, or avg $500k per unit to recoup costs, pay financiers and make a profit. Now the city comes along and says to the developer you must allocate 25% of these units as affordable. If, for example the city demands that 25 of the 100 units be sold at cost, $250k, the missing $250k must be recouped by increasing the pricing to the remaining 75 market value units. If you bought one of these market value units you would have paid $500k for your own unit, plus thousands for someone else’s affordable unit.

I must admit I’m unfamiliar with how affordable housing works. I don’t know if there is a set value of what affordable is, nor who actually owns these affordable units, for example if they’re priced “affordable“, can’t the buyer just flip it at market rates later? Or are affordable units destined to be forever rental units, and if so, who’s the owner, the city, the TCHC, or some nonprofit?

The fair thing is for the city, rather than the buyers of market value units to pay for any affordable units.

Last edited:

I can't give my reaction properly w/o bringing that forward..........

1649215103742.png

Uhhhh.......

That's it. LOL

I got nothing else.

More than 50 letters of objection generated for this proposal to build 2 additional floors onto an existing 2 storey property on Kingston Road in the Upper Beaches area:

Last edited:
Not Toronto, but just down the QEW.

A Hamilton city council committee voted against affordable housing on a parking lot. One of the "No" votes was from city councillor Ted McMeekin, the former Ontario Liberal Minister of Housing (!).

1708614579324.png

Last edited:
Not Toronto, but just down the QEW.

A Hamilton city council committee voted against affordable housing on a parking lot. One of the "No" votes was from city councillor Ted McMeekin, the former Ontario Liberal Minister of Housing (!).

View attachment 542468

Some notes on the above:

1) This lost on an 8-8 tie.

2) This still goes to Council next week, so its not a done deal just yet.

3) There was a submitted petition to 'save' the parking........that gathered a whopping 1,300+ signatures, the Chamber of Commerce also came out against housing here.

4) It appears several other sites did get declared surplus and those are projected to result in 150 affordable units.

5) What could go here (conceptually):

1708619153401.png

I'm not clear on what the argument really is for retaining the parking, when you do manage to get 1,300 signatures, there is a suggestion that there is demand...........

Of course, the parking, is apparently free.

While I hope this is reversed; in the alternative, I hope Hamilton moves to charge for the parking, which may reduce demand/enthusiasm for same.

Free parking also creates the problem that there is no way to justify putting any underground for legitimate demand when its free.

Some notes on the above:

1) This lost on an 8-8 tie.

2) This still goes to Council next week, so its not a done deal just yet.

3) There was a submitted petition to 'save' the parking........that gathered a whopping 1,300+ signatures, the Chamber of Commerce also came out against housing here.

4) It appears several other sites did get declared surplus and those are projected to result in 150 affordable units.

5) What could go here (conceptually):

View attachment 542497

I'm not clear on what the argument really is for retaining the parking, when you do manage to get 1,300 signatures, there is a suggestion that there is demand...........

Of course, the parking, is apparently free.

While I hope this is reversed; in the alternative, I hope Hamilton moves to charge for the parking, which may reduce demand/enthusiasm for same.

Free parking also creates the problem that there is no way to justify putting any underground for legitimate demand when its free.
Andrea is thinking of using her ‘Strong MAyer’s’ powers to overturn this decision. If so, score one for Doug Ford.

Yes

Go to the Application Information Centre, here: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do

Look up the application by search 25 Brightwood Street.

Click on application details; you will see the Letters of objection and can read them.

Noticed t
Courtesy our own and the Globe and Mail's Alex Bozikovic, (from his Tweets) the proposed hospice and the site on which it will be located (if approved)

View attachment 252372

View attachment 252373
Not seeing a thread or DB entry for this project, but looks like this stalled out in 2022.

Here’s one. The Finch Bodega at 42 Dewson (just west of Ossington) is having a serious problem with NIMBYs who are using the fact that the espresso machine in the business is causing so many ‘problems’ that they should have their licence revoked. Ongoing.

Here’s one. The Finch Bodega at 42 Dewson (just west of Ossington) is having a serious problem with NIMBYs who are using the fact that the espresso machine in the business is causing so many ‘problems’ that they should have their licence revoked. Ongoing.

Here's what?

One does not need a license to operate an Espresso machine.

You need to clarify what it is you're talking about.

I hate to link to BlogTO, but this is so ridiculous I couldn't let it go:

"Save our parking / preserve our community" 🤢

A friend who sent this to me pointed out that they're doing a reverse Big Yellow Taxi.

Back