Say no to suburban stadiums. Maybe for football with so few games that works but the Jays have a hard time getting 30k for each of their 81 games when countless businesses and residents live within walking distance not to mention all the transit and Gardner which Serve the area
The Downsview Stadium would be for NFL (including the Super Bowl), Olympics, and World Cup.

The Jays could alternatively have a new stadium in the Portlands (it's still close to downtown), because the SkyDome is deemed a heritage structure.

How about the south east corner of Dundas west and bloor. Crosses two subway lines and go/rer/upx

At some point, does it become more beneficial to just build a new stadium?

Stoeten's article noted that Jays management apparently thinks it can squeeze another 30 years out of the Skydome and, thankfully, that it sees the downtown location as essential to the team's success.

Stoeten's article noted that Jays management apparently thinks it can squeeze another 30 years out of the Skydome and, thankfully, that it sees the downtown location as essential to the team's success.

It also questioned the reality of that. This is why I'm wondering if it would be better to build a new stadium, instead of pouring money into the existing one. Putting in grass, for example, apparently is difficult, but not impossible. The big hurdle appears to be how much money it would take to pull it off.

I may have said this before in this thread, but I think fans tolerate the Rogers Centre, they don't love it. The team led the American League in attendance because they put a winning product on the field. But once this team starts losing (and I think we can expect a rebuild in another season or two), those numbers are going to plummet. The Rogers Centre is not a stadium you can watch mediocre baseball and just enjoy the experience of it. If they could build a new stadium, either an out door one or one similar to Safeco Field in Seattle, then the stadium itself would be an attraction regardless of the quality of play.

It also questioned the reality of that. This is why I'm wondering if it would be better to build a new stadium, instead of pouring money into the existing one. Putting in grass, for example, apparently is difficult, but not impossible. The big hurdle appears to be how much money it would take to pull it off.

I may have said this before in this thread, but I think fans tolerate the Rogers Centre, they don't love it. The team led the American League in attendance because they put a winning product on the field. But once this team starts losing (and I think we can expect a rebuild in another season or two), those numbers are going to plummet. The Rogers Centre is not a stadium you can watch mediocre baseball and just enjoy the experience of it. If they could build a new stadium, either an out door one or one similar to Safeco Field in Seattle, then the stadium itself would be an attraction regardless of the quality of play.
Maybe if they put the $1B or so that a new stadium would cost into the team they would never have to worry about being a losing team ;)

Sounds to me more like a case of limited resources and selecting one project winds up excluding another project. Stoeten is right the roof is priority #1 if it's condition is anywhere near what I've heard whispered (worse I suppose given the tendancy to under sell). The question then comes down to: Do you want a repaired functional roof + some stadium amenity upgrades (new seats, concourse improvements, etc), Or do you want real grass but no upkeep on the roof, amenities, etc. Personally the real grass issue is a "nice to have" feature for me. Far more important to look at seating and ameneties and ways to make that more baseball friendly (now that the Argos are out).

Maybe if they put the $1B or so that a new stadium would cost into the team they would never have to worry about being a losing team ;)
I argue this all the time to a friend of mine. A new stadium isn't going to help when the team is terrible. Baseball attendance is going down, tv is down. But the Internet is up. People are watching in different ways and the better the tv/internet gets then the less people care about going other than meaningful games.

I argue this all the time to a friend of mine. A new stadium isn't going to help when the team is terrible. Baseball attendance is going down, tv is down. But the Internet is up. People are watching in different ways and the better the tv/internet gets then the less people care about going other than meaningful games.

With regards to the Blue Jays - that's just incorrect

With regards to the Blue Jays - that's just incorrect

Exactly. As I said in my previous post, the Blue Jays led the American League in attendance. There was a stretch there where they were drawing a full house almost every knight. People in this city will support a winning team. But I also think they would come to games if the stadium was an attraction in itself.

http://businessjournalism.org/2015/04/sports-and-money-poor-tv-ratings-are-hurting-baseball/

http://time.com/money/3772690/baseball-losing-fan-interest/

http://deadspin.com/5789875/no-ones-going-to-baseball-games-but-heres-why-mlb-isnt-concerned

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...a84725dbf9d_story.html?utm_term=.3424e94007d4

https://techcrunch.com/2014/08/25/f...atch-mlb-tv-streams-on-devices-than-desktops/

Sorry I was typing on my phone while in a meeting.. Silly me not linking thousands of articles to make sure what I said was accurate... Im not going to cut and paste the quotes here either but there is a problem in baseball. For the record it is affecting good teams as well even if it is not as bad. I know this is only personal experience but my wifes work has a meeting every year in Cleveland during september. This year while the Indians were doing well the office managed to get a whole row of tickets the day before the game. I didnt know how this was possible but when we went to the game there was whole sections blocked off. Yes the world series numbers were dang impressive this year but it is still trending south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_television_ratings

but hey fun youtube clips are cool to

Earlier today:

DSC08700.jpg
DSC08701.jpg

Attachments

• DSC08700.jpg
    DSC08700.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 830
  • DSC08701.jpg
    DSC08701.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 567
Perhaps a few exterior upgrades to the eastern glass canopy? This is way more work than I've noticed for any off season.
DSC_0843.jpg

DSC_0844.jpg

DSC_0845.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0843.jpg
    DSC_0843.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 477
  • DSC_0845.jpg
    DSC_0845.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC_0844.jpg
    DSC_0844.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 371
Wonder if they could build a "new" stadium in the same spot by gradually replacing segments of the Skydome.

Of course, the trickiest element is the roof, so it either has to be supported while the reconstruction is under way, or be the first thing that's removed and replaced.

Back