Apparently it comes from us pretentious ones, Kris.

I guess we had better change the name of Algonquin Park too (or Ontario or Toronto for that matter) lest we further fetishize the sacred first nations cultures.

Little-known fact: Tkaronto was once an outpost of the ancient Tkon Empire.

180px-Tkon_logo.png

Apparently it comes from us pretentious ones, Kris.

I guess we had better change the name of Algonquin Park too (or Ontario or Toronto for that matter) lest we further fetishize the sacred first nations cultures.

Ugh. "sacred"? Sounds like you're more in the utterly ignorant category than in the pretentious one when it comes to First Nations cultures, Tewder.

Ugh. "sacred"? Sounds like you're more in the utterly ignorant category than in the pretentious one when it comes to First Nations cultures, Tewder.

I think Tewder was being sarcastic.

Tkaronto is an interesting name with a unique tie to the history of the city. It's interesting enough to get people to go out and actually look up the history of the word, and by extension, the name of the city itself.

And look, it might be "unpronouneable," but to a non-local many of Toronto's placenames are, if not unpronounceable, than at least counter-intuitive - Roncesvalles, Strachan, Etobicoke, even Queen's Quay to people unfamiliar with the word (and let's not forget how much of an "oh it's a tourist" reaction we all usually get when someone talks about Tor-on-toe). How we approach placenames can also tell us a lot about a person or a community. Take the Spa-dee-nah vs. Spa-dye-nah class marker, or, to go further afield, the Brawn-ee vs. Brawn-tee vs. Brawn-tay mark of local-ness, or even the perpetual the Beach vs. the Beaches debate. Maybe one hundred years down the line, people will still be debating how to correctly pronounce Tkaronto. I certainly hope they will be.

To go off topic for a second, I wonder how long-lasting the name HtO will prove to be. Will it's brand of clever I-know-how-to-subscript survive the test of time? Or for that matter, how long will the novelty of CityPlace last before it becomes City Place or Cityplace (I mean, the whole one-word-that's-actually-two-words-with-a-capital-in-the-middle is already so 2005)

33 posts and I'm already 'ignorant' and 'pretentious'. Wow, I think you'll fit in just fine around here :)

33 posts and I'm already 'ignorant' and 'pretentious'. Wow, I think you'll fit in just fine around here :)

Hey, you were the on that challeneged me (albeit with sarcasm rather than any counter-argument)! I stood by my opinion and the gave valid reasons to support it. I never explicitly called you ignorant or pretentious (if you read carefully). I accept that you have an opinion, I just don't share it. And I think that's OK. It's OK to have an opinion and not fit in in this forum. Isn't it?

Let's just move on and agree to disagree, hmm?

How is Tkaronto unpronounceable anyway? It's just a tiny difference versus Toronto. Calling that "unpronounceable" is pathetic in a diverse city like Toronto with a lot of much more challenging names.

Calling that "unpronounceable" is pathetic in a diverse city like Toronto with a lot of much more challenging names.

Yep. Heck, just ask a tourist how to pronounce our most prominent intersection -- you'll likely get "Yawnj and Blue-er".

I heard some tourist on the subway today referring to the "El-jin" Theatre (must be from the Chicago area or something)

Most of us pronounce Spadina wrong, and we live here, so...

How is Tkaronto pronounced?

Tickaronto? Or is the T silent?

I can't remember the last time I heard Toronto pronounced as it should be.

The sugar has arrived.[video=youtube;dXfPRLYgNLk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXfPRLYgNLk[/video]
[video=youtube;hoIslH7957Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoIslH7957Q[/video]
[video=youtube;jg5lKpOBDDg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg5lKpOBDDg[/video]

Last edited:

Back