June 5th
DJI_0312.JPG

The west end of Toronto less respected than Scarborough. Shameful. Sherway “deserves” a subway. I guess the biking pinko downtown elite don’t like drinking their Starbucks in the local book store.
you know how simple it would be to continue the subway west from Kipling along the unused N. Service Rd. and then curving up into the sherway area underground? That's not gonna happen. The traffic in this new proposed three phase development will be horrendous adding to the already gridlock like conditions in the late afternoon and morning. Please construct the transit first.

you know how simple it would be to continue the subway west from Kipling along the unused N. Service Rd. and then curving up into the sherway area underground? That's not gonna happen. The traffic in this new proposed three phase development will be horrendous adding to the already gridlock like conditions in the late afternoon and morning. Please construct the transit first.
Hey new member. Sorry you missed my sarcasm (maybe hard to pick up on without reading a history of threads) But welcome to the site.

So does Sherway get a subway extension too?
no the Premier Ford is in for another four years. All the developers will have their hands in his pocket and vice versa. Mr. Ford care is very little about public transit and only about the amount of tax dollars in the public coffers. The West End of Toronto could be a beautiful place but with this increase density and the traffic congestion, it will be horrific. Build the mass transit first. Even extending the street car line along the Queensway to sherway would've been a good idea at one point. I suppose that's not going to happen. Those who wish to visit sherway Mall will hop on the Queensway bus which runs once every century as I recall .

The 'biking pinko downtown elite' - good one! if you've ever tried to drive downtown or along King Street or even a long queen or blur Street, obviously bicycles get preference. It's actually dangerous driving along blue Street now. Dangerous for the pedestrians, cyclists (and motorists). Who thought that Bloor St. bicycle lane was a good idea - maybe the downtown pinko biking elite?
We need to convince people to show up online for the virtual meeting regarding the sherway infill development. If nobody says anything the project will plough through as a developers want, and as our premier probably wants. MSO's anyone?

So, a few things here.

Despite his meddling, Ford has been much better for transit than many feared in 2018. Nothing was really cancelled; it's more that priorities were shifted to focus on deliverable items. This is in contrast to the Liberals who promised the moon, but under delivered because their promises were so pricey.

Second, both Libs and Cons are in developers' pockets. TYSSE was extended to Vaughan to benefit the big land owners there and let's not forget the shenanigans around Kirby GO.

As for Sherway Gardens, it's not like the current built form can be described as anything other than hideous. Density per se is not the determining factor whether an area is beautiful or ugly.

Agreed that infrastructure, including transit, must be in place before density is built. We've made this mistake a few times already during the current boom. No need to repeat it.

Fair enough on King Street. But this also applies to most of our city: our roads don't work for any mode, whether it's driving, walking, biking or transit.

We also make the mistake of trying to make every street a complete street. But often, there's not enough room, especially downtown, to accommodate all modes simultaneously.

Fortunately, we can look to Holland to guide our efforts. They do a good job separating the various modes, often using entirely different streets/routes to create distinct cycling/transit/car networks.

Last edited:
I'll tack on here that Eataly is coming to Sherway.

I posted the press release elsewhere, so I'll link to the Retail-Insider story here:

From the above:

1665626120053.png

Looks like this location will be small by Eataly standards at 25,000-30,000f2

1665626248778.png

Note the adjacency to Saks.

Who used to be in the 20k space between Indigo and Tesla?
NM, I think that was part of the old Holt Renfrew space. Not enough coffee this morning :rolleyes:

Does it strike anyone else as odd that these mall intensification plans never seem to contemplate redeveloping the mall itself? Of course, the retail centre should be preserved, but that could be done with more street-oriented retail, likely multistory and possibly even below street level like the Path. That would enable a finer grain block structure and more multi-use development (residential and office commercial). Maybe using some internal mid-block pedestrian connections a bit like the arcade at the Well?

And if that is the plan, shouldn't these early phases contemplate what the end state might look like?

Maybe the property owners have this in mind but aren't sharing their plans.

At most, disused sears/anchor stores can get knocked for a revamped section of a mall. To a certain degree, malls are going to be a mainstay of retail for the foreseeable future in the GTHA imo. Weather in these parts naturally means that for at least 4 months of the year, going outside to shop is very unpleasant for a lot of people. Why fix these spaces if they ain’t broke? I’d agree a finer grain street is desirable, but they won’t be as universally enjoyable in our winters.

Back