Unless a full on subway is built, I don't see the patterns changing from going NOrth/South to Bloor to connect to a subway. It takes too much time to move east/west.

For now they will. I think a Sherway subway extension is getting up there in the priority list though.
The TTC themselves acknowledge the earliest any extension would come online is 2040. More realistically, any kind of construction wouldnt start until 2040 at the earliest (Yonge North and Sheppard East/West extensions are all penciled in to go ahead of this), so realistically we're looking at this kind of timeline:

Yonge North: Major construction start late 2020s or early 2030s
Sheppard East and West: Major construction start early-mid 2030s
Bloor-Danforth West: Early-mid 2040s construction start (highly dependent on the Sheppard line timeline).

The above bolded are all speculative based on typical Ontario government meddling/changing of government which mess up transit timelines all the time.

Unless a full on subway is built, I don't see the patterns changing from going NOrth/South to Bloor to connect to a subway. It takes too much time to move east/west.
I agree, but I think even a modest BRT- Lite could reduce travel times enough to get people onto the much higher capacity GO line instead of the already very capacity constrained Line 2. The 80 from Sherway to Parklawn takes roughly around 30 min during peak times, with dedicated lanes and stop consolidation I think getting that run time down to 20/15 min is doable. Greater reliability would also pull a lot of riders over as well.

Put a subway and it’s immediately highly desirable. It’s already highly desirable but I’m sure Sherway doesn’t really want to get rid of their parking.

I think Toronto is averse to the "build it and they will come" mentality with transit construction. They did that for Sheppard and we still don't have sufficient demand or ridership on that line.

Besides, there are tons of other areas that have the demand now with no transit where we should be focusing on.

I think Toronto is averse to the "build it and they will come" mentality with transit construction. They did that for Sheppard and we still don't have sufficient demand or ridership on that line.

Besides, there are tons of other areas that have the demand now with no transit where we should be focusing on.
to be fair, we didn't let anybody build the housing to "let them come" on Sheppard for the first 15 years of the lines existence. The last time Toronto built a transit line and performed broad up zonings along the corridor (line 2) it was a massive success

Back