News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm not your boy.

If someone wants to buy a gun to go hunting I have no issues with it. Even if I would never partake in hunting myself.

I've yet to see a compelling argument in favour of hand guns. We don't live in a dangerous police state. That's exactly why nobody needs one.

Ok you are not my boy, but watch your language.

Why do cops need hand guns, I don’t see you arguing about disarming police, given that you claim we dont live in a police state.

Why do we need hand guns. Only allowed reason is sports. That is why they are limited to be used at approved ranges only and banned else where.

Last edited:
Personally, I am afraid of anyone who feels the need to own something that is designed for one purpose, i.e., to kill.

Wow I guess, you must be afraid to own knives as well.

Handguns are not designed only to kill. In my earlier post I highlighted why most people in Canada own hand guns and the only legal reason to own one.

Personally,
It an inanimate object and does not kill on its own. It’s a firearm, it only becomes a weapon when someone makes it a weapon.

Btw, I extend an open invitation anyone on this forum to take them to the range and give a first hand account of what is it like to own a handgun in city of Toronto.

Knives are designed for other purposes so that's not a comparison at all. What is a gun designed to do? To kill or injure someone or something (i.e., animal). They are not designed for sport -- sure, some people use them that way, but their purpose is to cause injury and death.

I lived in a rural area where a lot of people had guns for hunting and to protect their livestock. Long guns, not handguns. I also spend a lot of time in the U.S. so am quite familiar with gun culture and gun enthusiasts.

Why do cops need hand guns, I don’t see you arguing about disarming police, given that you claim we dont live in a police state.

Really? The police and armed forces are given a monopoly to use arms to inflict violence in a regulated manner on behalf of the state to maintain law and order. Such a monopoly does not constitute a "police state". It is a little problematical if that's what you believe in after arguing this is all about "sports".

Countries with even stricter gun laws than ours aren't by default police states - many of them are even more functional democracies than the one down south.

AoD

Last edited:
Knives are designed for other purposes so that's not a comparison at all. What is a gun designed to do? To kill or injure someone or something (i.e., animal). They are not designed for sport -- sure, some people use them that way, but their purpose is to cause injury and death.

I lived in a rural area where a lot of people had guns for hunting and to protect their livestock. Long guns, not handguns. I also spend a lot of time in the U.S. so am quite familiar with gun culture and gun enthusiasts.

What an ignorant statement. There are literally hundreds of firearms which are designed for sports only. There is huge segment of the market for competition guns. Competition guns tend to be heavy and bigger and designed for accuracy. And they tends to cost several times more than law enforcement/military versions (those are cheap and in accurate) .

I would suggest that you google competition hand gun and see what pops up.

Really? The police and armed forces are given a monopoly to use arms to inflict violence in a regulated manner on behalf of the state to maintain law and order. Such a monopoly does not constitute a "police state". It is a little problematical if that's what you believe in after arguing this is all about "sports".

Countries with even stricter gun laws than ours aren't by default police states - many of them are even more functional democracies than the one down south.

AoD

I don’t think making any rational argument make any difference on this forum. Most people on this forum are rabid anti gun purely because of their ignorance of the laws and firearms itself.

Three theme on this forums are
1. Why does any one need guns only cops should have guns.
2. They are only designed to kill.
3. Banning gun would have an impact on crimes.

I will enjoy my firearm until the law allows for it. In the meantime, I would resist all reactionary theatrical politics on firearms.

AoD
Switzerland, for instance. Handguns are banned in a general sense, but until recently, every citizen militiaman was required to keep their military rifle at home.

[...]
The country has about 2 million privately owned guns in a nation of 8.3 million people. In 2016, the country had 47 attempted homicides with firearms. The country's overall murder rate is near zero.

The National Rifle Association often points to Switzerland to argue that more rules on gun ownership aren't necessary. In 2016, the NRA said on its blog that the European country had one of the lowest murder rates in the world while still having millions of privately owned guns and a few hunting weapons that don't even require a permit.

But the Swiss have some specific rules and regulations for gun use.

Business Insider took a look at the country's past with guns to see why it has lower rates of gun violence than the US.

Unlike the US, Switzerland has mandatory military service for men .

All men between the ages of 18 and 34 deemed "fit for service" are given a pistol or a rifle and trained.

After they've finished their service, the men can typically buy and keep their service weapons , but they have to get a permit for them.

In recent years, the Swiss government has voted to reduce the size of the country's armed forces.
[...]
In 2000, more than 25% of Swiss gun owners said they kept their weapon for military or police duty, while less than 5% of Americans said the same.
[...]
In 2007, the Small Arms Survey found that Switzerland had the third-highest ratio of civilian firearms per 100 residents (46), outdone by only the US (89) and Yemen (55).

But it seems that figure has dropped over the past decade. It's now estimated that there's about one civilian gun for every four Swiss people.
[...]
Swiss authorities decide on a local level whether to give people gun permits. They also keep a log of everyone who owns a gun in their region, known as a canton, though hunting rifles and some semiautomatic long arms are exempt from the permit requirement.

But cantonal police don't take their duty dolling out gun licenses lightly. They mightconsult a psychiatrist or talk with authorities in other cantons where a prospective gun buyer has lived before to vet the person .

Some lawmakers in US states including New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Rhode Island are considering a similar model .

People who've been convicted of a crime or have an alcohol or drug addiction aren't allowed to buy guns in Switzerland.

The law also states that anyone who "expresses a violent or dangerous attitude" won't be permitted to own a gun.

Gun owners who want to carry their weapon for "defensive purposes" also have to provethey can properly load, unload, and shoot their weapon and must pass a test to get a license.

Switzerland was ranked fourth in the UN's 2017 World Happiness Report .

The Swiss were applauded for high marks on "all the main factors found to support happiness: caring, freedom, generosity, honesty, health, income and good governance"the report's authors wrote .

Meanwhile, according to the report, happiness has taken a dive over the past decade in the US.

"The reasons are declining social support and increased corruption," the authors said.

After hundreds of years of letting local cantons determine gun rules, Switzerland passed its first federal regulations on guns in 1999, after the country's crime rate increased during the 1990s.

Since then, more provisions have been added to keep the country on par with EU gun laws, and gun deaths, including suicides , have continued to drop.

As of 2015, the Swiss estimated that only about 11% of citizens kept their military-issued gun at home.

Concealed-carry permits are tough to get in Switzerland, and most people who aren't security workers or police officers don't have one.

"We have guns at home, but they are kept for peaceful purposes," Martin Killias, a professor of criminology at Zurich University, told the BBC in 2013 . "There is no point taking the gun out of your home in Switzerland because it is illegal to carry a gun in the street."

That's mostly true. Hunters and sports shooters are allowed to transport their guns only from their home to the firing range — they can't just stop off for coffee with their rifle.

And guns cannot be loaded during transport to prevent them from accidentally firing in a place like Starbucks — something that has happened in the US at least twice .
https://www.businessinsider.com/swi...-to-carry-their-guns-around-in-switzerland-12

So my point is shutting down this sport for 50-60k people will have absolutely no impact on gun crimes.

Ok you are not my boy, but watch your language.

Ya know, you sound like exactly the kinda guy that shouldn't have a gun.

What an ignorant statement. There are literally hundreds of firearms which are designed for sports only. There is huge segment of the market for competition guns. Competition guns tend to be heavy and bigger and designed for accuracy. And they tends to cost several times more than law enforcement/military versions (those are cheap and in accurate) .

I would suggest that you google competition hand gun and see what pops up.

I am getting incredibly tired of your exasperating tone.

You call everyone who disagrees with you ignorant, with no intellectual foundation for doing so.

You talk down to people, you use inflammatory language (rabid), rather than speak to people like adults, who are thoughtful and have concerns.

You are welcome to an opinion in favour of handgun ownership. I myself have not proposed a ban, simply some additional and/or more stringent conditions of ownership.

But you manage to alienate the only people who may be open to your basic position, by constantly speaking in hyperbolic terms and taking everything said as if it were personal about you, instead of about a matter of public policy.

You have shown little or no interest in the facts and no willingness to finesse your position.

You have entirely missed the point of a forum such as this, which is the exchange of ideas, the explanation of their basis, the proffering of evidence, the opening of minds such that we are all better informed and with more insight into what's going on in our City and Country.

Get a new sport
"According to the World Sports Encyclopedia (2003), there are 8,000indigenous sports and sporting games."I
Assume at least 7900 of them don't include weapons that can be used to kill people.

Last edited:
Likewise I am tired of your rants. You exactly opposite of what you claim to me. I don’t see you calling out people when they use foul language.

I have presented facts and evidence based opinion as opposed to “feel” by most members here.

You state to about gun designed “only” to kill is ignorant. I am sorry but that is the reality.

I am all for opening minds and even extended an invitation to anyone on this forum a range trip, to actually see what is it really like to own a firearms in the city and this country.

A typical example is PinkLucy and here is a quote
“I also spend a lot of time in the U.S. so am quite familiar with gun culture and gun enthusiasts.”

This equivalent to saying I am not a racist because I have black friends.

Anyways good luck to you guys, I don’t think rational reasoning works on people who wants to prescribe policy on subjects where they little or know first hands experience.

I am getting incredibly tired of your exasperating tone.

You call everyone who disagrees with you ignorant, with no intellectual foundation for doing so.

You talk down to people, you use inflammatory language (rabid), rather than speak to people like adults, who are thoughtful and have concerns.

You are welcome to an opinion in favour of handgun ownership. I myself have not proposed a ban, simply some additional and/or more stringent conditions of ownership.

But you manage to alienate the only people who may be open to your basic position, by constantly speaking in hyperbolic terms and taking everything said as if it were personal about you, instead of about a matter of public policy.

You have shown little or no interest in the facts and no willingness to finesse your position.

You have entirely missed the point of a forum such as this, which is the exchange of ideas, the explanation of their basis, the proffering of evidence, the opening of minds such that we are all better informed and with more insight into what's going on in our City and Country.
You are

Get a new sport
"According to the World Sports Encyclopedia (2003), there are 8,000indigenous sports and sporting games."I
Assume at least 7900 of them don't include weapons that can be used to kill people.

How about you get a life and not tell people what to do.

Back