News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Well, technically, no gathering should end up in gunfire. Calling these gatherings, which are typically illegal in just about every aspect, 'rallies' is a corruption of word.
I‘ve attended a few impromptu motorcycle rallies and they’re usually just a group of enthusiasts who share an interest.

On the subject of handguns, illegally brought into the country, The Star has an article on Project Belair which saw Border Services snag 25 guns stowed in the gas tank of a rental car. The article details
the investigation, backstory and secondary players.

I highly commend it as a read.

While on the one hand it illustrates how those determined to smuggle weapons do so; it actually also shows the value of the gun control we've already got in place.

The 25 guns involved were purchased in the US for ~ $10,000; but would resell in Toronto, illegally for more than 10x that at $120,000 total.

Which is to say, its a much more expensive enterprise to buy a handgun illegally in Toronto than in Florida.

I might get flack for saying this - but gun smuggling should be a capital crime.

AoD
It is a capital crime, is it not??
Not sure what you mean though, do you mean make it a death penalty crime??

I propose an automatic 5-year prison sentence for anyone caught carrying an illegal (or unlicensed) gun.
That should make some of these gangbangers think twice at least

Last edited:
Its is a capital crime, is it not??
Not sure what you mean though, do you mean make it a death penalty crime??

While capital crimes are sometimes defined (typically including homicide, and treason) ; they are broadly understood as offenses for which a possible punishment is the death penalty.

I propose an automatic 5-year prison sentence for anyone caught carrying an illegal (or unlicensed) gun.
That should make some of these gangbangers think twice at least

The woman in the story above is facing 10 years in prison.

I suspect that she didn't seriously consider that when committing the crime and probably didn't imagine she'd be caught either.

I think we have to consider the evidence that 'tough' sentences rarely make a difference in rates of most offenses. There can be some impact; but remember, the developed world nation with the toughest
sentencing laws is the U.S.; which also has the highest rates of crime.

One has clearly not resolved the other.

In this case, the woman appeared, superficially, to be otherwise law abiding, a single mother of three, with, I believe 2 adult children and one still in High School.

She was on Social Assistance and had some, limited, lawful employment.

I don't know, but I imagine a romantic or other acquaintance approached her with an offer she simply found too tempting to say no to.

Of course, she should have; and she's made a terrible mess for herself and her kids.

What would have made a difference in this case? I don't know, if the woman were talking (she isn't, and didn't testify at her trial) it would perhaps be insightful to know.

But we can say this much, generally, the better your life is, by and large, the less willing you are to take dumb risks for a modest pay off.

We can't say in this case whether more help getting good employment, or more generous social assistance would have made any difference; but
we can surely say the threat of a 10 year prison sentence did not.

While capital crimes are sometimes defined (typically including homicide, and treason) ; they are broadly understood as offenses for which a possible punishment is the death penalty.

The woman in the story above is facing 10 years in prison.

I suspect that she didn't seriously consider that when committing the crime and probably didn't imagine she'd be caught either.

I think we have to consider the evidence that 'tough' sentences rarely make a difference in rates of most offenses. There can be some impact; but remember, the developed world nation with the toughest
sentencing laws is the U.S.; which also has the highest rates of crime.

One has clearly not resolved the other.

In this case, the woman appeared, superficially, to be otherwise law abiding, a single mother of three, with, I believe 2 adult children and one still in High School.

She was on Social Assistance and had some, limited, lawful employment.

I don't know, but I imagine a romantic or other acquaintance approached her with an offer she simply found too tempting to say no to.

Of course, she should have; and she's made a terrible mess for herself and her kids.

What would have made a difference in this case? I don't know, if the woman were talking (she isn't, and didn't testify at her trial) it would perhaps be insightful to know.

But we can say this much, generally, the better your life is, by and large, the less willing you are to take dumb risks for a modest pay off.

We can't say in this case whether more help getting good employment, or more generous social assistance would have made any difference; but
we can surely say the threat of a 10 year prison sentence did not.

It doesn't (and shouldn't) matter an iota what her circumstances were.

AoD

Death penalty for gun crimes will never fly in Liberal Canada.

Texas maybe, but not here

Texas maybe, but not here

Good.

I have no desire to see Canada emulate the U.S. on matters of criminal justice. The U.S. handling of such is broadly ineffective, and worse, often results in disproportionate and unfair outcomes (including wrongful convictions).

AoD

The argument here is not about the law treating anyone differently due to their circumstances.

The argument is that those circumstances do in fact contribute to bad choices being made.

The most effective remedy for crime is not punishment, its prevention.

AoD
It shouldn't matter in the determination of guilt or innocence but 'circumstances' have been correctly a part of sentencing determination for decades. I'm not sure life imprisonment - the codified sentence - is an appropriate sentence for for a first offender convicted of breaking and entering. We shouldn't take our lead from Les Misérables.

Nor should it. I’m a conservative, crime and punishment guy, but if we can’t trust our government to run its daily operations properly we can’t allow the same buffoons (of any party) and their court appointees to decide who lives or dies. A capital sentence in Canada is life, or 25 years. That sounds about right for those who smuggle guns and killer drugs like fentynal into Canada.

So I just got home and had a very weird afternoon. Or at least it appeared strange until I saw the news just now.
Supposedly a cop was shot dead a couple of hours ago.

Suspect apparently is still at large and drives a black Jeep Cherokee. This is the exact same car I drive.
Every cop that drove by me this afternoon gave me an intense stare. I thought maybe my headlights were broken or something.
The way cops were checking out my car I seriously thought I had entered the twilight zone or something.

Link: https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-p...s-in-mississauga-and-milton-sources-1.6065287

Toronto police officer dead following shootings in Mississauga and Milton​

Police around the GTA are warning people to be on the lookout for a suspect vehicle described as a black Jeep Cherokee following two daylight shootings in Mississauga and Milton.

Peel police said one person has been rushed to a trauma centre following a double shooting which occurred in Mississauga, in the area of Argentia Road and Winston Churchill Boulevard, around 2:15 p.m.

“We currently have 2 people shot and one has been transported to trauma (centre),” police said in a tweet.

Police said that they are searching for a suspect described as a black male with a thin build and black hair who was wearing all black with a yellow construction vest.

He is armed and dangerous and police said that it is “imperative” that anyone who spots the suspect or his vehicle call 911 immediately.

The suspect vehicle is described as a black jeep Cherokee with licence plate # CLMZ 905

Back