News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Thanks for that info and photo. The new lights look great -- I wouldn't mind them going down to the next setback. I would love to see something similar to this done on the adjacent TD Canada Trust Tower. Its form is really interesting and it would be great to have its tapered crown illuminated. Could you please tell me who you worked with (i.e. who hired you/who is the staff member of the building that oversees such activities?) I would like to contact them and ask them about the prospect of something similar happening at the TD Canada Trust Tower.

The Bay Wellington Tower looks great with the new lighting. The spire of the TD Canada Trust Tower should be lit up as well--it could be a spectacular landmark at night.

Hello "One Nut Kruk" and "khristopher"
I wanted to comment on the lighting at Brookfield Place.
I am the lighting designer who design a new system for both towers. Yes it is all LED with a new design approach. They are not blue but very "cool" in colour. We tested a warmer colour but did not stand out and looked "muddy". Lots of work involved but i'm glad you like it. I was also involved on the interior Galleria and Lobbies. Both won lighting awards last year.
See photo from the top during the installation.

It looks nice especially the pure white at the very top. what are those top 3 floors used for? curious

It's a good start but you've still got a ways to go, i've got ideas for your next move =]

woi0.jpg

Attachments

• woi0.jpg
    woi0.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 714
Last edited:
It would have been nice if the lighting went all the way down to the lowest 'Doors and Railings' arrow in the above diagram.

Here's a shot I took recently

DSC_0381_2_3_4_tonemapped small.jpg

This was taken after I did this....

DSC_0353 small.jpg
DSC_0371 copy.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0381_2_3_4_tonemapped small.jpg
    DSC_0381_2_3_4_tonemapped small.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 768
  • DSC_0353 small.jpg
    DSC_0353 small.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 765
  • DSC_0371 copy.jpg
    DSC_0371 copy.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 787
Haha that's awsome ^^ looks like so much fan, sans the cold maybe hahaha, i like how the tube goes under ground than comes out at the bottem there

bermuda-homes.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22205&d=1391020076

May_crrc_3.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22206&d=1391020133

So, is the reason why this winter stayed as so cold partially because the city was constantly covered in white snow all over it???
Toronto does not get the partial barrier effect of Appalachians or the Atlantic Ocean like New York City does, and it should take all steps to maximize its heating effect during the harsh wintertime... Mother nature does its job, but it doesn't mean that humans cannot change their fate.
The 2nd photo is the Island of Bermuda.

Attachments

• bermuda-homes.jpg
    bermuda-homes.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 927
  • May_crrc_3.jpg
    May_crrc_3.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 869
Last edited:
Toronto is cold because the cold coming from the north and west. Not sure how much we could do beyond covering the city in a big bubble :)

I don't know why the two images not showing up in the previous post (2 posts up).

If you make Toronto's roofs not snow covered all the time when it's very cold, in theory, that could be a way to make the city 1~2 degrees warmer in winter.
Similarly, when the Great Lakes are not covered in ice, it absorbs more heat from the sunlight making the region warmer. When its' covered in ice or something white, it just reflects most of the sunlight and its warmth. I mean, urban planners and meteorologist can work together to make the city warmer. You don't need to build a giant dome covering the entire city. You could do it in the arctic and make a surprising& genuine urban city of modern mankind there perhaps.

^ the first photo really shows that even in the Yonge/Bay corridor, there are still many very short buildings waiting to be developed.

Back