So a developer named it? Well, no wonder it's so lame! In that case, let's just call it "The Rogers District" since they'll soon own both ends of it. Hell, let's just let all developers name all our neighbourhoods and save ourselves the trouble. I'd love to live in "The Star Of Downtown District".

"The Annex" was a name that a developer originally came up with, so sometimes these developer developed names become beloved.

http://www.lostrivers.ca/AnnexR.htm

I will assume that you are being sarcastic. We are only talking about a couple of blocks here, not the entire face of Toronto.

And the new buildings are hardly terrible. Maybe not as spectacular as many of us would have preferred, even a bit on the monotonous side, but still with quality cladding.

Last edited:
by 'face' I was refering to the iconic views of the city from the lake/islands being lost... no doubt that those views would have to go sometime, but it seems a waste to lose them with such boring, bland buildings and poorly conceived streetscape. I think the speed with which this area has been filled in has been partly responsible for the all glass monoculture we've ended up with here. Of course thats just my opinion (and perhaps the opinion of a few others).

Last edited:
???? Why don't we call it "Southcore" and move on?

Okay, but only if we also get to call everything north of Dundas "Northcore", west of University "Westcore" , East of Church "Eastcore", and the cluster around Yonge and Bloor "Yongebloorcore". Also, I move that we rename Rogers Centre "Bluejayscore".

Okay, but only if we also get to call everything north of Dundas "Northcore", west of University "Westcore" , East of Church "Eastcore", and the cluster around Yonge and Bloor "Yongebloorcore". Also, I move that we rename Rogers Centre "Bluejayscore".

And the CBD would be "Corecore"?

by 'face' I was refering to the iconic views of the city from the lake/islands being lost... no doubt that those views would have to go sometime, but it seems a waste to lose them with such boring, bland buildings and poorly conceived streetscape. I think the speed with which this area has been filled in has been partly responsible for the all glass monoculture we've ended up with here. Of course thats just my opinion (and perhaps the opinion of a few others).

As the future render on page 22 shows, the PWC building will be invisible from the lake due to the height of Ice. Telus is also not very visible from the lake. The hotel and other Southcore office tower will be visible, but not particularly prominent. If they are ruining the "face" of Toronto, it is a face we can't even really see.

Hyperbole: what would urbantoronto be without you?

come on dude, my post was hardly hyperbolic... the fact that some of the crappy buildings on Bremner will be hidden by other crappy buildings on Bremner doesnt really refute my argument. It's my opinion that I dont like this new "masterplanned neighbourhood" that is filled with very little variety. If it's not yours thats fine. Enjoy all the new construction...

I don't know what kind of variety some people would like. What other than glass towers can you build these days?

I don't know what kind of variety some people would like. What other than glass towers can you build these days?

Personally I wouldn't mind if PoMo made a comeback. That era produced two of my favourite towers, which happen to not be all glass; Scotia Plaza and Canada Trust Tower.

The district could be called the Glass District. It's basically a catalogue for the products of top glass cladding manufacturers.

Maybe adding colours and shapes might be more interesting? Royal Bank Tower stands out as gold. The shape isn't a box either. You can identify the buildings at the financial district by colour. Gold is RY, Scotia is red/brown. FCP is white, TD are the black buildings and BCE is grayish?

Back